1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Jabbing to the body/MMA

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Orion, May 28, 2008.

1. blanko Guest

i really don't see a big danger as long as it's a good stiff jab. Sure it won't do much damage but you will get points for landing punches.

2. Zankou Bringing peace and love Staff Member Senior Moderator

Sorry I mistyped that, I meant to limit my comment to the jab. The jab to the body doesn't do much damage. You can indeed do moderate damage with a cross to the body, depending on your punching power, timing, etc. Also if your opponent is a southpaw, the cross to the body is going to be a lot more effective since it hits the liver. The cross to the body is not as good versus orthodox, though it's still a very good and underused punch in boxing.

3. Tucker Smith Amateur Fighter

I use the jab to the body pretty frequently. But ive got pretty fast hands. I definately wouldnt use it if i ever met someone who had faster hands than me. I usually set it up by faking a jab to the head and switching levels and throwing the jab to the body. it usually works pretty good because your opponent will try and counter your jab with a jab of his own, so you slip under it and hit him, and he leans right into it.
    Also, i like to follow up the jab to the body with a left hook to the head and then either a right roundhouse kick or a straight right hand.

4. 5acrossYOeye Silver Belt

I can't wait to see him fight live on Sunday

5. aries Gold Belt

We don't really see jabs to the body in MT or K1 either though. I think the reason for that is knees and kicks. I know you can get uppercutted in boxing but it's not nearly as long a range weapon as knees or kicks so people don't really throw them out there with as much regularity as kicks and knees. To uppercut a body jabbing opponent you'd have to have slipped the punch to be in range. That takes more skill than simply throwing out a knee or kick. How many MMA'ers are good enough boxers to do that?

6. Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

A simple side-step works just as well against a body-jab as a slip. In-fact I'd say slipping a body jab would not be a good way to go. Defending with an elbow or a side-step is a much better positioning option.

And depending on the person's reach, an uppercut can definitely be a good long-range weapon, even moreso than a knee IMO if the Fighter has a big reach. Kicks I agree with.

But I think mainly the problem here is people are treating the body-jab like it's supposed to be a single-land technique. Not at all, it's supposed to set-up other attacks, and not thrown arbitrarily like a standard jab can be.

7. aries Gold Belt

TBH I don't know what I was thinking about saying slip a body shot?? But even side-stepping and being in position to counter seems to be beyond most in MMA besides the Lyoto Machidas of the world.

I don't agree with you about the knees though. I can hit most people with a long knee before they can get anywhere near me with their straights even let alone an uppercut.

8. Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

I think that'd be based on your body dimensions. There are guys with short legs and longer arms who might disagree with you as well.

My legs have never been fast, my hands always have. I'd bank on my uppercut sooner than a knee, but my point was it's relative to the Fighter.

9. People need to stop acting like getting hit for going low is new to MMA or kickboxing. It happens in boxing all the time. Its all about how you use a technique. If you shoot a sloppy double leg you can get sprawled on and get kneed on the head in Pride rules. Nobody's debating that a double leg is too risky for MMA though.

10. Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

11. aries Gold Belt

Fair enough.

I don't think anyone would dispute that a shoot is risky but it's about risk vs. benefit ratio. A sucessful takedown is a more significant event in most MMA fights than a jab to the body wouldn't you agree?

12. Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

The body-jab alone shouldn't be the only benefit of jabbing to the body. If it doesn't set up another attack, THEN I'd say it's a waste.