Jabbing to the body/MMA

Orion

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I was watching some older Floyd fights once again last night and the thing that stood out to me as always was his amazing jabs to the body. The fight was against Henry Bruseles for those wondering.

I started thinking about how it would adapt to MMA and how it seems like no one even tries to jab to the body in MMA. I've personally never even tried it or thought about it for some reason when training in the past.

I remember a topic on this awhile back but don't really remember the details on it. I just remember King Kabuki touching on it a bit and some others.

How would a crisp quick jab to the body work in MMA? Do you think it would take striking in MMA to a different level or would it be to much of a risk because the risk of takedowns and kicks? I'm having a tough time picturing it working due to my lack of experience so I'd like to hear input from those of you who have more knowledge on the subject.

I was watching some older Floyd fights once again last night and the thing that stood out to me as always was his amazing jabs to the body. The fight was against Henry Bruseles for those wondering.

I started thinking about how it would adapt to MMA and how it seems like no one even tries to jab to the body in MMA. I've personally never even tried it or thought about it for some reason when training in the past.

I remember a topic on this awhile back but don't really remember the details on it. I just remember King Kabuki touching on it a bit and some others.

How would a crisp quick jab to the body work in MMA? Do you think it would take striking in MMA to a different level or would it be to much of a risk because the risk of takedowns and kicks? I'm having a tough time picturing it working due to my lack of experience so I'd like to hear input from those of you who have more knowledge on the subject.

I would hardly call my knowlege extensive, but from the limited knowlege I have jabing to the body in MMA can be effective. I think more to set up another strike, distraction, range finder, takedown set up, than actually doing a lot of damage.

I think the problem a lot of MMA guys have with jabing to the body is that they punch down vs coming down and throwing the jab at shoulder level. In my opinion, it should only be thrown at chest/solar plexus level, any lower it is really not as effective. I always wonder why I don't see more MMA fighters (those that use the jab) double up their jabs. I think that is what made guys like Foreman, Ali, Lenox, Mayweather so effective with their jab. They varied it up constantly. double jab/low high, high/high, mixed in with stiffer single jabs high and low. Those guys kept their jabs from being predictable.

I think it was Gonzaga Vs. Sherner that Gabe used a jab to the body to set up a takedown, if I remember correctly he ended that fight with a jab as well......?

Either way, it will be interesting to see other peoples take on this. Im curious?

It's only a risk if your timing is bad or if your opponent is faster than you, in which case it's no more a danger in MMA than it is in Boxing, because someone with a poor jab will get uppercut or low-hooked, hit and hurt, same as in MMA where they might get kneed or taken down.

One of the tricks to the body jab is to not necessarily just lean chin-out into it. You can bend your knees and pop a solid jab without leaning your face in, and with the rear-hand in position to defend attacks.

IMO the best time to jab the body is when you notice your opponent is standing up straight too much, and their elbows are a little far apart. Good jab or double-jab to the body will bring them down a bit. For shooters, a jab to the body can also be an excellent way to set up a shot for a takedown.

Funny you mention this as we were going over this last night in class and my instructor was telling us how no one in MMA uses body shots. Yet they are some of the most painful shots he's ever felt. So of course we train them.

I personally dont think it is a worthwhile tactic, too risky and not really much benefit. Youre better off going for a hard right straight to the body you can protect against knees better with the left and if it lands it actually does some damage, also it combos nicely with a left hook and kick.

I personally dont think it is a worthwhile tactic, too risky and not really much benefit. Youre better off going for a hard right straight to the body you can protect against knees better with the left and if it lands it actually does some damage, also it combos nicely with a left hook and kick.

Was it Melvin Guillard who ended a fight with a straight right to the body? I think you have a valid point, I would rather land the cross to the body, and it does seem to transition into combos easier (for me at least). However, I think the cross to the body is equally as risky, if not more so than the jab....... The cross to the body forces you to square up your shoulders and lean in head first, with far more momentum than the jab requires. Like you said if it lands it does more damage, or the reverse, if it get's countered you will likely recieve more damage. This is my personal opinion, likely due in part to the fact that I am tall and have a significant reach, the cross to the body always makes me feel vulnerable, even though it is my favorite punch to throw high.

Yes but the mechanics of the straight allow you to protect yourself with your lead hand better than you can when you are jabbing.

If I jab to the body there is nothing stopping me getting a shin to the top of the head whereas if I use a straight I can cover my face with the lead hand and protect my chin with my right or at worst he will do a lead kick but those have no power, or at least not enough power to smash through your guard.

This is how I usually set up a right straight to the body in sparring:

1-2 (opponents hands go upto block) 2b-3-kick or 2b-3-2

Its not as good just doing it out of nowhere, although if I had to choose I feel safer with the straight for the reasons I stated above.

But when you shoot a straight right you commit so much. A jab can be in n out.

Well I think most people jab they way I did when I first learn to punch, which was throw a jab and stay there, or throw punch to advance forward.

Whereas in fact you can jab and get out of dodge pretty effectively. The point of jabs to the body is to set up stuff, make the opponent drop their guard, etc., whatever.

Don't forget this is all a game of chess, thinking a many moves ahead too. The fact that a jab to the body does little damage means nothing.

It's like the lead leg kick in kickboxing - you're just doing it to get a reaction

Well I think most people jab they way I did when I first learn to punch, which was throw a jab and stay there, or throw punch to advance forward.

Whereas in fact you can jab and get out of dodge pretty effectively. The point of jabs to the body is to set up stuff, make the opponent drop their guard, etc., whatever.

Don't forget this is all a game of chess, thinking a many moves ahead too. The fact that a jab to the body does little damage means nothing.

It's like the lead leg kick in kickboxing - you're just doing it to get a reaction

thats what i mean. A cross is not thrown to the stomach in order to get a reaction and set things up. Well it can be, but its not a real textbook way. That is what your jab is for. And i disagree with Vince. A jab offers its own protection if not more than the cross.

Yes but the mechanics of the straight allow you to protect yourself with your lead hand better than you can when you are jabbing.

If I jab to the body there is nothing stopping me getting a shin to the top of the head whereas if I use a straight I can cover my face with the lead hand and protect my chin with my right or at worst he will do a lead kick but those have no power, or at least not enough power to smash through your guard.

This is how I usually set up a right straight to the body in sparring:

1-2 (opponents hands go upto block) 2b-3-kick or 2b-3-2

Its not as good just doing it out of nowhere, although if I had to choose I feel safer with the straight for the reasons I stated above.

I would tend to disagree, like I mentioned below, if you jab to the body by throwing the punch down, your going to leave yourself open. However, done correctly the body jab is thrown straight out from the shoulder, just like jabbing high, but your body comes down lower vs just throwing the punch down. This should tuck your chin into your shoulder and when your shoulder rolls up during the punch you should be leaving a very small target . I actually find it far easier to throw kicks from my rear leg when countering a cross to the body vs a jab. And as a couple of the others mentioned, the jab is more versatile, in-out a lot quicker, the cross is definately a bigger commitment (for me at least).

I wouldn't throw either a cross or a jab to the body in MMA, too risky. Also what is the point -- it doesn't do much damage at all. It's great in amateur boxing, and in punching combinations, but it's not like anybody is going to care much that you jabbed them in the chest.

In boxing, however, these are two of the most underused punches. I love the jab head/cross to body combination. As several posters have pointed out, if you throw it with proper form, it's a pretty safe combination in boxing.

Another great classic combo is jab to head, jab to body, jab to head. Level change is what makes it work. If you get lazy and don't change levels, you are wide open for brutal counters.

I wouldn't throw either a cross or a jab to the body in MMA, too risky. Also what is the point -- it doesn't do much damage at all. It's great in amateur boxing, and in punching combinations, but it's not like anybody is going to care much that you jabbed them in the chest.

In boxing, however, these are two of the most underused punches. I love the jab head/cross to body combination. As several posters have pointed out, if you throw it with proper form, it's a pretty safe combination in boxing.

Another great classic combo is jab to head, jab to body, jab to head. Level change is what makes it work. If you get lazy and don't change levels, you are wide open for brutal counters.

lol, nice avatar

I wouldn't throw either a cross or a jab to the body in MMA, too risky. Also what is the point -- it doesn't do much damage at all.

I can understand the safety issue here. You're right its dangerous to use the jab to the body. but throwing a jab or cross to the body doesn't do much damage at all?

that i would disagree with.

Also, there's no reason not to combination punch off a jab to the body in MMA. The only reason a person would fail with it, is doing it at the wrong time or just getting countered very well, no more or less dangerous than any other technique.

Also, there's no reason not to combination punch off a jab to the body in MMA. The only reason a person would fail with it, is doing it at the wrong time or just getting countered very well, no more or less dangerous than any other technique.

Its true though. Man, half the motherfuckers that you see throwing punches in MMA already have a very high percentage of getting their asses knocked out with a counter. No different than throwing a half assed jab to the face or one to the body.

You throw anything without proper form or technique than your risk of getting countered rises ten fold. Doesnt matter if your throwing a jab or a cross or going for the body or head.

I wouldn't throw either a cross or a jab to the body in MMA, too risky. Also what is the point -- it doesn't do much damage at all.

Placement and timing. You catch someone coming into you with a jab or cross to the gut. Its gonna do something. lol. But i can see where you guys are coming from. I certainly wouldnt go looking and chasing for the cross to the stomach. Thats why you either need to set it up or time them coming in.

Was it Melvin Guillard who ended a fight with a straight right to the body? I think you have a valid point, I would rather land the cross to the body, and it does seem to transition into combos easier (for me at least). However, I think the cross to the body is equally as risky, if not more so than the jab....... The cross to the body forces you to square up your shoulders and lean in head first, with far more momentum than the jab requires. Like you said if it lands it does more damage, or the reverse, if it get's countered you will likely recieve more damage. This is my personal opinion, likely due in part to the fact that I am tall and have a significant reach, the cross to the body always makes me feel vulnerable, even though it is my favorite punch to throw high.

yeah he got that on gabe ruidegar, however u spell it.

Miguel Torres was doing a few jabs to the body in his recent fights.

That dude's a fuckin' TANK. Excellent Fighter.

I have used jabs to the body in sparring, find it's good as it just keeps the opponent guessing. Training is just Muay Thai, so the better fighters have the high tight elbows in guard, so sometimes when you're having trouble landing decent shots it's a good switch up. Obv the danger of getting kneed is high. I think if you mix it up and keep them guessing they can be used well. I'm not good enough to keep the range that tight but Id prefer to progresss to stepping across and hooking into the body liver shot stylee.

Back