Jabbing duels.

De La Hoya vs Quartey and Floyd

Ali vs Holmes was a great display between two of the GOAT jabbers in their prime.

Absolutely scintillating battle

Ali vs Holmes was a great display between two of the GOAT jabbers in their prime.

Absolutely scintillating battle

Ali wasn't remotely close to his prime. If he was, it would have been a rougher night for Larry to say the least, LOL.

Lewis/Vitali.

Larry Holmes was actually out jabbed by Carl "The Truth" Williams in their fight back in 1985. But they put on a clinic in how to use the jab that night.

A guy who had a very underrated jab was Ken Norton. He outjabbed Larry Holmes and Muhammad Ali. Those were duels of the greatest HW jabbers.
ya, kenny was fast and quick, ali was used to dominating with the jab. Chuvalo caught him with some nice ones in their second fight too, dundee went so far as to say chuvalo "mighta gotten lucky" if he'd used more jabs. Curiously, Ali outjabbed some great jabbers (liston, terrel) I think Ali was a very different fighter at several points in his career. Nortons' advice from futch was that ali didn't parry a jab correctly, that when a boxer jabs, the right hand is suppossed to switch to the left side of the face to block the jab coming back, in ali's case, that didn't happen very often in those years, and as futch said, ali tended to just move his right hand further to the right side of his head, so, with this simple advice, norton befuddled and confused the great ali with his own jab.

Leonard vs Benitez was another great battle of the jabs.
for whatever reason, i thought about that one too, ray actually knocked benitez down with a jab. it's an odd thing to see a fighter hurt or knocked down with a jab, goes to show that many times it's how and where a punch lands that causes damage. Holmes staggered from mercer's jab, Holmes was capable of putting guys down with his jab.

Larry Holmes was actually out jabbed by Carl "The Truth" Williams in their fight back in 1985. But they put on a clinic in how to use the jab that night.
larry was really slipping by that point, many people thought he lost, i haven't watched it in a while, i did recently watch the witherspoon fight which people say spoon won, naw, he had his moments but he didn't do enough.

ya, kenny was fast and quick, ali was used to dominating with the jab. Chuvalo caught him with some nice ones in their second fight too, dundee went so far as to say chuvalo "mighta gotten lucky" if he'd used more jabs. Curiously, Ali outjabbed some great jabbers (liston, terrel) I think Ali was a very different fighter at several points in his career. Nortons' advice from futch was that ali didn't parry a jab correctly, that when a boxer jabs, the right hand is suppossed to switch to the left side of the face to block the jab coming back, in ali's case, that didn't happen very often in those years, and as futch said, ali tended to just move his right hand further to the right side of his head, so, with this simple advice, norton befuddled and confused the great ali with his own jab.

I don't agree with the previous post that Norton outjabbed Holmes... It was the other way around. I think Larry has the best jab in heavyweight history, and in my opinion he would beat even a Prime Ali because of that jab.
One heavyweight who had a pretty great jab was Riddick Bowe, but it was severely underutilized.

larry was really slipping by that point, many people thought he lost, i haven't watched it in a while, i did recently watch the witherspoon fight which people say spoon won, naw, he had his moments but he didn't do enough.
Yep, I agree. He just got by against Witherspoon IMO but I had Williams a point ahead at the end of their fight.

Back