Jab Strength

My past training revolved around speed. I was always trying to punch and kick faster. Often you were judged on how many strikes you could deliver in a given amount of time.

First a little physics is in order -- Force x Velocity = Power. Most instructors in the combat sport and martial arts world focus on just one aspect of the equation... Speed. (Speed is how fast an object moves, velocity is how fast an object moves from point a to b.)

In a fight it is natural that if you operate in a Effect-State you will try to compensate for your waiting to see what the other guy is doing -- with speed. Problem is... speed without force is only a portion of the equation, and even if your targeting is accurate, you strike with static force. In fighting, a static-force strike would be a punch using only your arm speed to strike rather than putting your entire bodyweight behind the punch. Essentially, in the context of fighting, a speed only response equals FEAR. I'm not saying it can't be effective sometimes, just that you are counting on ALWAYS being able to be faster than the other guy. I don't like those odds.

I have taken and lexperienced a lot of fighting systems and learned the idea that you may not be faster or stronger than the other guys but you compensate for those realities by operating in the Cause-State, striking with dynamic rather than static force. I've touched on operating in the Cause-State using dynamic force.

Dynamic force allows you to strike with the full power equation, putting your bodyweight behind each strike to maximize damage and minimize the length of the conflict. The key to generating dynamic force is understanding how to properly lock your body and transfer your bodyweight into each strike. I will say that one way to start the process is to SLOW DOWN your free fight sessions, hit your targets, and leave your body weapon on the target until your opponent MOVES AWAY from your body weapon. Most people strike and quickly take their body weapon off the target. This does not allow for the force of the blow to penetrate the other guy's body. It is the other guy that should move from the force if you want to generate maximum power. This also gives you feedback as to whether you are in balance when you strike. You may do this at slow speeds and get the feedback without injuring your training partner. Quickly, you your training partner can increase your speed AND deliver maximum power.

<BR>
speed > strength when it comes to the jab, dont worry about it being strong its all about speed when it comes to the jab.

Back