J Shields and UFC rankings

I can see why people aren't very big fans of his, but I personally find him to be one of the most under appreciated fighters in the sport. I understand that his neutralizing style may not always call for fireworks, but what he does is effective -- he is getting wins and from a sports standpoint, he is very successful. I feel he deserves to be in the top 10 personally as well.

Why does everybody keep bringing up his "supposedly" 2 won rounds vs GSP? I understand these are mostly from GSP haters but everyone knows the only reason for those rounds were the clawed out eyes that Shields intentionally did in the fight. I still can't believe there was no punishment handed down for those blatant and obvious intentional fouls.

I can see why people aren't very big fans of his, but I personally find him to be one of the most under appreciated fighters in the sport. I understand that his neutralizing style may not always call for fireworks, but what he does is effective -- he is getting wins and from a sports standpoint, he is very successful. I feel he deserves to be in the top 10 personally as well.

He did deserve to be top 10 when he first arrived in the UFC but since coming aboard he's had some devastating losses. Maybe top 15 now.

He did deserve to be top 10 when he first arrived in the UFC but since coming aboard he's had some devastating losses. Maybe top 15 now.

Yeah, perhaps you're right. The 170 pound division is what I view to be the most stacked division in the sport. Askren and Burkman are building quite a resume as well. Perhaps with a win over Maia he will earn a spot in the top 10.

There is no way there are 14 better WW's than Jake shields. He's boring but effective. Y'all just can't separate his boringiness from his skill.

He's lost 2 fights Since 2004! You can't even justify your stance, it's just hate because he's boring (which he is).

There is no way there are 14 better WW's than Jake shields. He's boring but effective. Y'all just can't separate his boringiness from his skill.

He's lost 2 fights Since 2004! You can't even justify your stance, it's just hate because he's boring (which he is).

Well you may be right. I can't think of 14 other guys so maybe he can still be top 10. But I am definitely not basing my thought on his being boring. That I can promise you. For all those years Fitch was the #1 contender I agreed with it. I was basing it on his complete outclassing he received vs GSP (like most everyone else I know) and I am not counting his success after the infamous eye gougings (yes plural). Then he was ko'd very badly vs Jake. Jake has mucho power but has proven to be a notch below elite so. Those kinds of defeats will and should knock you down several pegs. Shields has reached his true potential and is no longer improving. He is world class on the ground but at the very top levels you needs it all and his striking game makes Lesnar look like Ali.

i could win a round against GSP if i poked his eyes out too.

I demand a source right now. The state he had a failed test in refused to reveal what he failed for. So you blurting out wrong information is just fighter bashing.

Refused to reveal what he failed for = Admission of guilt.

If it was pot, he'd have said it the day of.

Refused to reveal what he failed for = Admission of guilt.

If it was pot, he'd have said it the day of.

So every person who's being accused of something that they don't want to be public knowledge is automatically guilty? I thought this was America.

Shields isn't top ten WW because he left the div for a while and hasn't fought any top guys since returning. Maybe he should be top 10 based on skill, but claiming he won two rounds against a blinded GSP and therefore deserves some credit is reaching IMO.

Well, if diaz is in the top 10, i'd say shields is just as deserving....

If Shields loses to Maia expect him to get cut. He is one of the most boring fighters in the UFC. Boring fighters have to worry about facing the ax every fight.

I was thinking the same thing back when Jon Fitch was first cut... and especially so after they matched Shields up with Maia (who beat Fitch).

But it's not cause he's "boring", not entirely.

It's because he's had a Title Shot before, and he's past his prime. The prospects of Shields climbing back to Title Contention if he loses to Maia is not very likely.

Maia aint safe either.

Back