Izzy Should never have gotten a LHW title shot

New rule : No title shot unless you have at least 2 fights in a division.
This is I think A. Silva did it the right way in that he went up and fought Irvin and Griffin but never got a title shot.
With this new rule no title shots for :
Izzy at LHW potentially holding up one division
Mcgregor at Light Weight, holding up both, and never defending either title

discuss

Just cause Izzy failed isn't the reason too. Henry, Conor and Nunes succeeded.

It was a big step up and he done plenty of defenses. It was a big money fight for UFC, Izzy and Jan.

Sorry it upsets you, but even though Jan beat Izzy he didn't win every round. There are probably LHW's Izzy could beat but Jan was just too large (he also looked totally spent by the end of the fight, while Izzy looked fresh). If Izzy attempted LHW again he has to bulk up a bit.

I don't have any problem with it, i enjoyed watching Henry and Nunes do it, My only input would be you need to defend your first belt x amount of times first.

I agree with you. However you are wrong about Anderson in your phrasing. You say it like a title shot was never given to him by the UFC. For sure if he had wanted a LHW title shot even before the Forrest fight, the UFC would have granted it.

I loved the way guys like Irvin were saying Silva couldn't hang at LHW, and the build up and anticipation of watching his LHW debut.

Then seeing the way he smoked Irvin with insane ease, it was a great time for the fans and the potential matchups were exciting. Now days it's all about money and image, so they'll gladly let someone contend strait away if it benefits marketing. But having a champion make his/her official debut in the division is just so important. They can get acclimated to the power and speed difference, they can get acclimated to the actual weight cut, or lack thereof.

The UFC has really dropped the ball with it's whacky matchmaking and clear intention to rush certain fighters for marketing, respect the actual fighters and your rankings, be consistent with matchmaking and build a real standard so you can organically build excitement, versus making champ vs champ fights where both guys aren't even long time champs, or even defended at all.

If a champ wants to challenge himself by moving up it should be encouraged. But for divisions they'd need to commit to staying active, defending both belts, if needed. Best time to move up is when there's no real challenge left at the champ weight. Izzy beat those guys, so it was the right time. The preparation was questionable.

This is I think A. Silva did it the right way in that he went up and fought Irvin and Griffin but never got a title shot.

discuss
I dont agree... Champ vs Champ fights are great for fans and LHW was wide open after Jones left.

Ofcourse he shouldn't have but looking at the result I'm glad he did !

discuss
No. Its a big fight. How did DC and conrat go.

You're not really being genuine here. The reality is that after beating Gastellum, Rob, Yoel and then Costa there was really no clear contender. So he went up to try at LHW. It had no impact on MW, didn't hold up and obvious contender. Had little impact on LHW as Glover is getting his shot now.

I don't see the big deal.

discuss
who made that rule?

I can't remember which exactly but a couple of these LHW fights by Anderson were short notice fights.

You're not really being genuine here. The reality is that after beating Gastellum, Rob, Yoel and then Costa there was really no clear contender. So he went up to try at LHW. It had no impact on MW, didn't hold up and obvious contender. Had little impact on LHW as Glover is getting his shot now.

I don't see the big deal.
The big deal is Izzy did it so he hates it

That “super” fight really helped MW produce a contender huh.

A Vettori rematch that lit the world aflame.

<{Heymansnicker}>

A lot of people picked Izzy to beat Jan.

Anderson could have gotten the Jones fight whenever he wanted.. but he never wanted it.

discuss

I don't think you remember but Izzy was the favorite going into the fight against Jan.

Anderson Silva also didn't want no part of fighting the LHW champion at that time. He could have easily had a super fight, that's if he wanted to.

Who said Israel would have been like McGregor? There is nothing in his fight history that shows he would have held up the LHW division if he became champ. I'm pretty sure Adesanya would have been busy defending both belts. He's not one to take long periods of time off.

I agree. No more instant title shot when moving weight until they beat at least 2-3 opponents.

Back