Izzy Should never have gotten a LHW title shot

Ownaging

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
New rule : No title shot unless you have at least 2 fights in a division.
This is I think A. Silva did it the right way in that he went up and fought Irvin and Griffin but never got a title shot.
With this new rule no title shots for :
Izzy at LHW potentially holding up one division
Mcgregor at Light Weight, holding up both, and never defending either title

discuss

He really shouldn't have. It made no sense. Only thing is Dana may of thought if Israel had that belt that it would've bothered Jones and maybe but prbly not have a Israel vs Jon fight.

Dana: “that was never an option.”

Dana likes money

He really shouldn't have. It made no sense. Only thing is Dana may of thought if Israel had that belt that it would've bothered Jones and maybe but prbly not have a Israel vs Jon fight.

I guess it made sense in Dana's head considering he was overrating Izzy and underrating Jan

WME wanted a double champ so that they can expand to the African market - it didn't work.
I doubt there is an "African Market" per se. Most people would not be able to afford PPV's and I doubt any TV stations there would pay top dollar to be exclusive provider of UFC content.

Last edited:
No that is a very bad idea.
No champ can commit to fight 3 times in a another division without causing an awful stall.

Israel had cleaned the oppposition at 185, and there was no great title fight to make at that time at 205.
This fight was right thing to do at that moment and it sold very well. He lost, but he didn't get destroyed (like Max vs Dustin).

This is I think A. Silva did it the right way in that he went up and fought Irvin and Griffin but never got a title shot.

discuss
I agree to some degree but if that's the case, superfights would be really tough to make. Imagine if Cormier had to fight Overeem to earn a title shot against Stipe. I don't think DC would have made it.

I agree to some degree but if that's the case, superfights would be really tough to make. Imagine if Cormier had to fight Overeem to earn a title shot against Stipe. I don't think DC would have made it.
There in lies the problem. People have gotten into their minds now that Superfights absolutely have to be made when they are really not necessary. If someone from a lower weight division wants the title of the division above him, he needs to work his way up to get the title like everyone else. He shouldn't be able to cut the line, although some concessions are given because he is a champion in another weight class, it shouldn't be guaranteed.

but israel was ducking jon not the other way around.

There in lies the problem. People have gotten into their minds now that Superfights absolutely have to be made when they are really not necessary. If someone from a lower weight division wants the title of the division above him, he needs to work his way up to get the title like everyone else. He shouldn't be able to cut the line, although some concessions are given because he is a champion in another weight class, it shouldn't be guaranteed.
Who said anything about guranteeing?

Who said anything about guranteeing?
That's the way it pretty much is now, if you're a champ in one weight class and ask Dana for a bout in class above, it is guaranteed at this point. That is what I want to change.

That's the way it pretty much is now, if you're a champ in one weight class and ask Dana for a bout in class above, it is guaranteed at this point. That is what I want to change.
To be fair, those champions have been quite dominant in their weight classes. Conor was on a dominant run at featherweight, having defeated from what I remember all the top 5 ranked opponents. Israel has been on a dominant run and is running laps on his opponents after losing to Jan. Daniel Cormier defeated all the top contenders at LHW except Jones.

Last edited:

discuss

Not sure why. The point IMO is to see the best and most interesting fights.

Jan was lucky he didn't get matched with this guy.

FelineCleanIrishwaterspaniel-size_restricted.gif

The UFC only cares about money so why would they impose a self restricting rule that might hurt them in the future

Back