I've rewatched all of Jon Jones' fights since winning the title (controversial opinion inside)

When he first started I feel like they mostly marketed him by always bringing up how young he was. He also had highlights always being repeated of the Bonnar spinning elbow, breaking Vera’s face, kneeing Shogun. Eventually his fights got more boring but he started accidentally marketing himself successfully by fucking up outside the cage.

Personally, I don’t love watching Jone’s style. It’s just ok for me.

Ok everyone. I'm going to go out on a limb and say something quite shocking. It will be provocative and unfiltered. Get ready for the heat.

This thread isn't exciting.... at all.

It depends on what you consider exciting. Some people like back-and-forth brawls. Some people like flashy finishes. I, personally, like seeing a fighter meticulously pick apart and dominate his opponents on every level.
Right. He's patient and dominant.

The goal in war is to win as cheaply as possible. Similarly, in a fight it's to win while taking as little damage as possible (albeit, the modern day prizefighting "fun fights makes you more money" is twisting that old mantra up a bit).

Jones* has dominated opponents while taking little damage better than anyone in the short history of this sport.

And ya, sometimes it's not as "fun" watching a patient fighter. But it's not like he's getting guys to the ground and keeping them there while doing no damage.

And even if we agree with everything TS says, he's really only been in 2 "boring" fights (OSP & Santos). And he dominated OSP.

He was exciting before he got the title, fighting lesser opponents, taking them down and ground and pounding them out in the first round. Hammill, Vera, Matyuschenko - those three fights got people hyped and I think some of that hype still lingers..

What? I think his dominance and vicious fighting style is very exciting!

The spinning elbow on bonnar?

Breaking Vera’s face?

Putting Lyoto to SLEEP!

Completely decimating Bader,Hamill, and shogun?

The crucifix on Matyushenko?!?
Any examples since the invention of the iPhone? lol

His early fights were good but nowadays he is a snoozefest. Understandably so, he is working on his legacy and unbeaten record.

Jones vs Gus 1 was an extremely exciting fight.
Jones vs Shogun was an extremely exciting fight.
Jones vs Bonnar was an exciting fight.
Jones vs Hamill was an exciting fight.
Jones vs Vera was an exciting fight.
Jones vs Bader was an exciting fight.
Jones vs Vladimir was an exciting fight.
Jones vs Rampage was an exciting fight.
Jones vs Machida was an exciting fight.
Jones vs Vitor was an exciting fight.
Jones vs Rashad was an exciting fight.
Jones vs Comier was an exciting fight times 2.
Jones vs Glover was an exciting fight.
GTFO!

He was exciting before he got the title, fighting lesser opponents, taking them down and ground and pounding them out in the first round. Hammill, Vera, Matyuschenko - those three fights got people hyped and I think some of that hype still lingers..

So you don't think Gus vs Jones (1) was not an exciting fight???

His wrestling is amazing. His striking is based upon distance control. He does not carry power in his hands.

In my opinion hes big for the same reason GSP was. Not so much for exciting fights, but for sheer dominance.

Also, I think a significant amount of people will hope he loses every fight which adds artificial excitement.
^^^ 100% this! ^^^

What? I think his dominance and vicious fighting style is very exciting!

The spinning elbow on bonnar?

Breaking Vera’s face?

Putting Lyoto to SLEEP!

Completely decimating Bader,Hamill, and shogun?

The crucifix on Matyushenko?!?

These are all old performances from when he was actually exciting.

Before going to the gym, I watch fights on fight pass to get pumped. Needless to say, I'm running out of fights. In the last week, I've taken on all of Jon Jones fights since winning the title.

I really noticed something that people don't really talk about and I'm very confident in saying that this is my objective opinion, having rewatched these fights in a format where they aren't live and the suspense isn't quite as blinding.

Jon Jones is not an exciting fighter... at all.

I am starting to kick around the idea that early in his title reign, people only tuned in to watch him lose since that whole religious thing smelled like insincerity. Afterwards, he started to behave as most already thought he really was and he became a public degenerate. I would argue that this persona actually did wonders for his career because as an athlete, as dominant as he is, he is really not an exciting fighter. He is a point fighter on the feet who holds ridiculous physically advantages, but only occasionally even rocks people, let alone stops them.

On the ground he has his moments, but the level of action in a Jon Jones fight is nothing compared to Stipe, Adesanya, Holloway, Prime Anderson, Fedor, even Khabib in my opinion.

Do you agree? If you separate the person from the fight, do you think he would really be one of the bigger names in the UFC if it weren't for his actions outside the cage?

I think when a fighter reaches a certain level of dominance their fights look boring. Lets not pretend Anderson Silva was known for exciting fights, the majority were one sided beatdowns. Yes, he had some huge moments but until Sonnen he didnt sell well at all

Partly, but I think if his fighting style was identical to how it is now, but he conducted himself like Usman, no one would be interested in watching him fight.
The drama definitely adds to it. I agree.

His fights with Santos, Smith, and OSP were boring in my opinion. It looked like he was holding back

Jon Jones is a fighter who fights to win, not to be exciting lol

Jon Jones is one of those fighters that has exciting moments, but not really exciting fights.

It's not a knock, really. Anderson Silva was the same way. You were never looking forward to a brawl, but more like "what's he going to do this time?" Jones isn't as spectacular in his best moments, but shit like the standing guillotine on Machida, or spinning elbow that basically won him the first Gus fights are cool moments. But he's largely content to stand and pick at guys, and will go for a finish only if it's very evidently going to come. He fights smart enough to avoid most danger, but it's incredibly dominant.

It depends on what you consider exciting. Some people like back-and-forth brawls. Some people like flashy finishes. I, personally, like seeing a fighter meticulously pick apart and dominate his opponents on every level.

Conor picks guys apart. Jon picks at his food and goes to a decision vs guys like Smith and an injured Santos.

Back