I've read the stickies, I need some advice

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by rutgerjansen209, Jul 13, 2010.

1. rutgerjansen209

rutgerjansen209 Orange Belt

Hey guys,

My last diet worked for about 2 months, but then I messed up again. *sigh*
    I am reading a lot lately about food, losing weight, sporting again etcetera (on sherdog and other sites/books) and I've made somewhat of a plan.

I know how things work for 70%, but please help me answer some questions.

Here are a couple of ground rules I made for myself:

1. Green smoothies to get my veggies and energy
    2. 3 times a week a 30 minute kettlebell session
    3. 3 times a week running outside (training schedule from myasics.com)
    4. Cut out most of the carbs, and the carbs I eat will be the 'good' ones
    5. High in Protein and good fatties
    6. When reaching my goal weight, drop 5lbs below it and slowely build up toward more 'regular' eating patterns
    7. Little to no alcohol (will be hard sometimes for me)
    8. 3 litres of water a day
    9. Keep my blood sugar steady, keep away from foods with a high glycemic index.

Here are my stats:
    25 years old
    182 cm (5'11)
    125 kg (275)
    Real endomorph like body, wide frame, big legs and arms, big head. I AM fat..i will admit that, but I tend to be more of a Mark Hunt type of guy then a butterbean ;)

My diet:
    I really would like to try and eat 5 meals a day. That being (with examples):

1. Breakfast
    2 eggs with 2 slices of ham and a green smoothie (50 grams of green veggies with water blended with a tiny bit of fruit for flavor)
    2. In between
    A hand full of mixed nuts and a protein shake
    3. Lunch
    A homemade salad with 2 eggs, 1 can of tuna and 75 grams of green leaf salad.
    4. In between
    A big pint of green smoothie again (75 grams of green veggies with water blended with fruit again)
    5. Dinner
    500grams (around 1 lbs) of soft curd cheese (i don't know if that is the right translation, it is like a thick version of yoghurt 10 grams of proteins per 100) with some artificial sweetener, added fibers and a banana in slices.

Now I have got some questions :)

1. Am I to low in calories? And is the dinner a good one or should i go for chicken breast with some cottage cheese for dinner..?
    2. Can artificial sweeteners mess up the diet? When used in moderation?
    3. I try to to get at 200 grams of green veggies a day, can the little piece of fruit in the smoothie (orange or something) hurt the process?
    4. If I am lacking something...(supplement, food group) what should I take and with what meal?
    5. To low in carbs? When can I eat them best?
    6. Banana, yes or no?

I am really hoping for some feedback..I have read loads of stuff and I really believe a diet (somewhat) like this with the proper working out can shed the pounds...
    But reading is one thing.... making the program for your self is a whole different ball game...

Feedback is appreciated!

Some fears of mine
    1. Eating to much/little calories (finding the balance between what feels and what is good)
    2. Wrong proportions of carbs/fats/proteins

Thanks!

p.s I hope you can see i've read the stickies enough and not consider me a fat troll (the worst :p)

2. rutgerjansen209

p.s goal weight is 205, so I am in it for the long run

3. CraneKicks

CraneKicks Doublespeak

I was 305 1 and a half years ago and I'n 220 right now. I'll tell you how I did it but it wont work for everyone. I never consulted a doctor and I came up with it on my own. So I can't say it's safe or great for you or anything.

I quit eating meat altogether. I replaced protein in my diet with beans and such.

Wheaties for breakfast/twice a week I replace with eggs usually boiled
    Raw vegetables cheese and nuts for lunch
    Steamed rice mushrooms and beans for dinner.

I took a flintstone vitamin and a multivitamin every other day. I donated plasma for a bit and they always check your iron and protein so I know my levels stayed good the whole time.

For exercise I just run every night usually about two miles. It worked for me but I'm not sure how fast you want to lose the weight or what would be best for you.

4. Mooney

Mooney Blue Belt

1. I didn't add them up, but it seems alright.
    2. As far as I'm aware, no.
    3. Nope, i wouldnt even worry too much about the green smoothies, just eat veggies with every meal and you should be fine.
    4. Do you take any supplements currently? A fish oil wouldnt hurt.
    5. Dropping carbs can do wonders for weight loss, so dont worry about going too low, (IMO). As for best time to take them, PWO.
    6. Depends, If you want one i say have one but they are one of the more sugary fruits.

You seem to be worrying about alot, just eat less and move more.

EDIT: I wouldnt be dropping meat as the poster above me stated, if anything id replace the cheese at dinner with meat and mix up the salad with different meats.

5. CraneKicks

CraneKicks Doublespeak

You seem to be worrying about alot, just eat less and move more.

That's the real story right there.

6. BREEDmonkey

BREEDmonkey Orange Belt

I'm sure the experts will come in shortly, but to me it seems like if you are staying away from carbs that much you would want to get more fat in. You only seem to be getting around 40-50 gr fat a day, I think that number should be around 80-100 gr a day.

I don't think your even getting in 2,000 cal a day, unless I'm missing something. For a 275 lb man I'd say about 2,500 cal a day and working out intensely you should be able to drop a couple lbs a week. You don't have to starve yourself.

7. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

You're overthinking this. At 5'11'', 275, you have a long way to go before you need to start nitpicking. You'd be better off making smaller, simpler changes and sticking to them.

8. onezendad

onezendad Blue Belt

I was 320 on Jan23/10 and just weighted in at 262 on Monday, so I know where you are coming from.

Totally agree with XT above. Don't over think the numbers.
    Make the big changes and you will see the weight come off pretty steadily.

Couple thoughs..

Good Multi and Fish Oil seemed to help me.

Are you a runner? Personally I made the decision at 320 that running would put a little too much stress on the knees and legs, I am a Eliptical guy..running is just not for me.

Walk as much as you can. I walk all over now...get off a couple subway/streetcar stops early, walk to the grocery store, etc. Probably added an hour of walking a day to what I was doing.

Don't skimp on the dinner meal...personally I don't think I could last the night on what you are proposing for dinner, but your call.

I don't have cheat days. I cheat now and then, but I don't let the whole day go. If I have a couple slices of pizza, or some ice cream, I try to make it up by altering my calories for the rest of the day rather than letting it balloon so I had a cheat breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Good luck with your journey!

9. FBlue

FBlue Brown Belt

I am going to go with a mix of what CraneKicks and XTrainer said. Your over thinking and worrying about too much. What is needed is some modification of what you eat and increasing your daily activity. At 275 you will be a calorie burning machine. Just slight changes in your diet like no soft drinks, alcohol, or sweets will will help. That helped me a lot. Learning what a proper portion is well help too. Eventually you can add in more eating more healthy stuff. I do think you need to make sure your eating enough every day though. I think I was getting eating 1500 calories a day when I was trying to lose weight.

The other thing to think about is finding whatever it is that will help you burn the most calories, that you don't doing so much, the fastest. The more calories you burn the better since you will be bound to fall off the wagon every now and then and you won't be throwing away so much when you do. When I was in weight loss mode I was burning around at least 1000 calories a day with exercise. And if I got more than a 1000 it was even better since every bit more I got enabled me to either lose more or take time off. Also I wasn't too into the math and tracking things but 1000 calories a day over a week is 7000 calories. 7000 calories is 2 pounds a week of weight loss just from exercise alone. You add that to what my body was burning naturally and I was putting up some good numbers. My numbers from that was so good I was only tracking my exercise and not how much I was eating. I was also able to go out and eat some stuff like taco bell a couple of times a week with in reason. I was also not tracking stuff like work around the house, walking, and hiking.

I am sure you might hear many different things. Realize that there is more than one way to lose what you want to lose. It can be diet and exercise, all diet, or all exercise. It is up to you how you want to do it and what you have time for. But anyway good luck with your weight loss.

10. FBlue

FBlue Brown Belt

I made the same decision about running when I decided to lose weight. I was worried about my knees and one of my feet. I am now down to 185 and thinking of running but I just can't seem to find it in me to start running.

11. rubberducky27

rubberducky27 Yellow Belt

Your last 'diet' worked for 2months and then you failed. Answer Why this happened and be sure to address the why in a more basic plan.

It's more about lifestyle change, so keep it a lot simpler and do it one step at a time. Keep a food log, training log and you'll be able to look back and know what risks you have of coming off the wagon, identify trends etc.

Best of luck mate

12. Steve3730

Steve3730 Green Belt

I was 5'10" 280 at my biggest. i dropped to 230 and went back up to 260. I made a few life style changes learned a little and now I'm around 200 even.

I believe the reason people fail is because they think it is a light switch "on diet off diet" and the difference in the two being, On= some lettuce a can of tuna and 4 eat right carrots ,Off= 2 whoppers onion rings and fries a large coke and a milk shake.

I would take your meal plan you have there and almost slowly wean yourself onto it. If it takes two months or more than so be it. replace what you eat now with something off your list. Breakfast is usually the easiest to change. So change your breakfast from what you eat now to your "diet" breakfast. for lunch and dinner do what you would normally do and after two weeks with your breakfast changed start looking at maybe switch every other day. eating your "old way" lunch one day and than your "new diet" lunch the next.

don't make your goal "I want to be 205 by Christmas" Make your goal I want to be happily eating right by thanksgiving. by the time you have completed changing your life style you won't even remember how bad you use to eat therefore making it easier not to ever do it again.

Maybe i'm crazy but this is the way I did it.

13. rutgerjansen209

Thanks for the advice guys!

I do overthink it a little to much I think.
    That's because I really want to succeed this time.

But I got to admit...my last failed diet was because it was just not properly planned and prepared.

It is all about the mindset and motivation. I once lost 50 lbs and it felt like a walk in the park (only cut out alchohol and bad food and started lean and healthy eating). `

Thanks again, you all gave me good advice and evertything you all said was true in a way about me or dieting in general.

Will use this topic to post my progress and some questions if I have any!

Cheers!

14. rutgerjansen209

p.s. it is way to big of a weight drop to call it a diet I guess :)

More like a lifestyle haha

15. ShotokanSuppes

ShotokanSuppes Orange Belt

All my life I have been very skinny...6'2 and between 155-185...I am on some weird meds for an anxiety disorder (Seroquel and Zyprexa) that cause weight gain (and diabetes) and I have been consistently gaining weight. I burn 400-500 calories at the gym 3 times a week yet am slowly gaining weight...I weighed myself today at 204...that does not seem bad but I want to prevent going up to 220+. I appreciate the TS and all the other advice...I guess I just need to really focus on not eating over 1600 calories a day. I doubt anyone does, but if anyone knows what the deal is with weight gaining meds...should I just focus on staying around 200-210 or can I lose weight. Does fish oil and a multi vitamin help with weight loss? Thanks!

16. BangWhosNxt

BangWhosNxt Purple Belt

I think this post might be getting over looked by all the other ones.

Changing to many things at once is a great recipe for failure. Make smaller changes that you can actually endure and then as you gradually move into this lifestyle change you'll start looking at other things.

17. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

^Exactly.

Look, I don't mean to come across harshly, but barring some kind of hormonal issues or something, you don't get to 5'11'' 275 without some seriously bad habits over a long period of time.

You can spend forever creating a perfect plan, but the only part of that plan that matters at all is the part you put into practice and sustain. Simplify, simplify, simplify.

18. rutgerjansen209

Thanks man (and the others above you with the same message)
    I understand that I should keep it simple and easy to follow.
    But you've got to understand that I have gained weight by simply 3 things

1. Eat way to fast and therefore to much
    2. Train little to none
    3. Drink loads of alcohol in on Friday Night

I have never been the guy who downs bags of chips and candy and eats sweets for lunch. But I am the guy who could down 8 sandwiches in 10 minutes. Or the guy who eats 2 plates of dinner in stead of 1. Just because I eat so fast it never made me full until I just bursted :p

All I usually cook is good and healthy/semi healthy food...But the way I down them like a beserker, and then NOT train but just sit on my ass, and then booze it all away in the weekends...THAT got me fat.

And yeah, if you are this high in caloric intakes, every cheat food you take is just an extra drop to the already full bucket.

The hard thing for me to do is to not get tricked into eating like a wild animal.
    I have no problem cutting the alcohol (but maintaining it for a while could be rough) and I enjoy working out again..

And the fun thing is, it all helps each other.

1. Preparing my food better, taking the time to eat it =
    2. No caloric madness = More energy, I feel cleaner =
    3. Working out again, getting motivated more=
    4. No problem staying away from the liquor and bad food influences=
    5. More power to do the whole circle again

But I also understand that if one of these fails, all will fall down.
    And I also understand that I might seem like a guy who just wants to rush thing by changing it ALL around...But I hope you can see that for me it is just some simple steps...but all in all...they still demand determination...but I got plenty of that.

Sick of being a big dude.

Thanks again guys, I love all the feedback..gives me more insight from different angles!

19. rutgerjansen209

Also thanks dude, I will keep this in mind.
    I do try not to change it all to drasticly. But for me it basicly is: eat less, move more and drink little to no alcohol.

Thanks again, read the above post for a more elaborate view on the matter ;)

20. Mooney

Mooney Blue Belt

You seem to have a good mindset about it, and seem to have a good idea of what you need to do. Best of luck!