I've never seen Maia sweep someone so easily

Good but watch him vs Rafa Mendes on YouTube . It’s a sparring session no gi , no strikes but goddamn Rafa rapes Shields giving up prob at least 50 lbs of solid muscle . . Shows you levels to this shit .
To be fair, Rafa destroys everyone... He is just amazing. Most black belts become white belts when they fight him.

L E V E L S

And you just found out first hard that Ben Askren is below UFC level.

Thats because askren is a bum...been calling him that since his can crushing days outside of the UFC..

But but but he can crush watermelons

But but lawler was out.

Fuck off the guy should be cut...he has worse loses then CM punk in the UFC
That sad thing is I don’t think you are trolling, you just honestly believe Mickey Gall & Mike Jackson are worse losses than Masvidal & Maia.

People love citing that Split decision victory as a way to downplay maia's abilities.

It was 2-2 going into round 5, and then askren won round 5 and the fight on the feet. He won a controversial decision. Maia took him down more and maia had the most dangerous positions (shields back) Shields had a nice reversal and some more control time.

Using this fight as a way to slight either man is silly. It really should have been a draw in my books.
And people who have never competed also don't seem to realize that every dog has his day. Shields stepped up beyond anything he had shown before to beat a guy who didn't seem to take him as a threat.

Thats because askren is a bum...been calling him that since his can crushing days outside of the UFC..

But but but he can crush watermelons

But but lawler was out.

Fuck off the guy should be cut...he has worse loses then CM punk in the UFC

Now I'm maybe biased because the fight just happened, but Maia toyed with Ben on the ground
That's because most people don't try to engage Maia on the ground. They disengage.

Also I don't think there's another fighter on the whole roster who can make taking mount look so easy and effortless.

That sad thing is I don’t think you are trolling, you just honestly believe Mickey Gall & Mike Jackson are worse losses than Masvidal & Maia.

What i mean...him getting koed in 5 seconds by flying knee and choked out are worse losses then Cm punk getting decisoned and subbed,

Maia choked him out with one arm in FFS

true but there's also footage of rafa submitting andre galvao in sparring. using rafael mendes as a measuring stick is kind of brutal. at the time, he was likely the best p4p jiu jitsu fighter in the world... in fact, i think in his prime he was right up there with the best in history.

jake shields is really high level, but demian maia is the far better grappler, regardless of what happened in their fight.
Yeah it’s not really fair to use that as gauge . I think Rafa is too , the GOAT at one point in his career . He’s like a cyborg . SO fluid .

Now I'm maybe biased because the fight just happened, but Maia toyed with Ben on the ground
Maia toys with everyone on the ground. He's the single greatest BJJ practitioner to see real success in the octagon. The people who beat maia do it by avoiding the ground entirely.

It was surprisingly one sided on the ground.

Maia toys with everyone on the ground. He's the single greatest BJJ practitioner to see real success in the octagon. The people who beat maia do it by avoiding the ground entirely.
Shields beat him on the groubd

oh they do that all the time. famous people come to their gym and they completely trash them, film it, and publish it on their site. it's kind of a dick move, but from what i hear they tell visitors that they'll be filmed and published beforehand, so everyone pretty much knows what's going to happen to them. interestingly enough, keenan has claimed that he was also filmed when he rolled with them, and did well enough for them not to put it online. i'm pretty sure they don't want anyone looking even remotely competitive with them.

all that said, their instruction is still the best i've seen from anyone, barring galvao. anyone looking to supplement their training with online instruction, mendes bros is the way to go.
Ironically last two days , I’ve been on YouTube rabbit hole with their shit . Saw some awesome seminar footage from Brazil . I’m a brown belt . I learned so much just by watching them cause they go over SO much detail in a very easy way . Their turtle control , to back take series was unbelievable . The de la riva counters were awesome . They are so good at explaining . They are Bjj scientists . I was thinking of subscribing to their site ..you’ve given me extra push Brutha , to do it. Thanks .

Before fight i thought that Ben should not take Maia down, if he wants to win, because he's not gonna win on the ground. Maybe he could keep it standing and shoot in the end of the rounds, and steal the rounds that way.

I also was afraid that they would just kickbox the whole fight, which would suck so much.

Luckily we saw some excellent grappling and I was so happy when Maia won.

He never swept Sonnen but he tossed him And strangled him like his little brother

Lateral drop into a mounted triangle.

Sonnen is an absolute jabroni on the mat and has been tapped 9 times, but it was a thing of beauty to see.

Back