I've never seen Maia sweep someone so easily

Lawblaw

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Now I'm maybe biased because the fight just happened, but Maia toyed with Ben on the ground

He never swept Sonnen but he tossed him And strangled him like his little brother

He never swept Sonnen but he tossed him And strangled him like his little brother
Yeah but with Sonnen it was just a very short fight, you can say Sonnen got caught with that takedown
But Ben was getting outclassed

It's like he knew everything Ben would do. "I'm gonna attempt this sub, he's gonna react this way, and I'll use his reaction to sweep." Effortless

It’s making me feel like I can do those sweeps easily the next time I roll.

gunnar nelson is a world class jiu jitsu fighter and maia swept him several times. he also pulled guard off of a failed shot attempt vs masvidal, only to sweep him immediately after iirc.

i don't really have time to go through all of his fights to find more examples, but maia is a beast at sweeping / reversing positions.

and he's still doing it at 41. maia is king.

gunnar nelson is a world class jiu jitsu fighter and maia swept him several times. he also pulled guard off of a failed shot attempt vs masvidal, only to sweep him immediately after iirc.

i don't really have time to go through all of his fights to find more examples, but maia is a beast at sweeping / reversing positions.

Yeah but he sweeped Ben much much easier..
I haven't rewatched the fight since but I don't remember Maia outclassing Gunnar like he outclassed Ben

Maia sweeps just about everybody who goes to the ground with him and his deep half guard sweep is probably one of the most studied sweep progressions in the game.
He was genius to mix things up and go for omoplata/triangle/ straight armbars/kimuras etc etc in order to sweep ben.

Honestly, I can't think of a fighter who hits sweeps and reversals more frequently than Maia does, so I wasn't shocked at all

Well he crushed Sonnen easily too.

And Sonnen went on to wrestle fuck Anderson.

I haven't rewatched the fight since but I don't remember Maia outclassing Gunnar like he outclassed Ben
he swept gunnar several times, making it look easy as well.

and he completely outclassed him on the mat, the only difference being it was pretty much a 15 minute ground fight and gunnar didn't get finished... but maia spent most of his time in dominant position and swept him whenever nelson managed to get on top.

He swept Jacare and took his back too

The guys one of the most prolifc sweepers in the game.

Last edited:
Maia is the best bjj fighter in UFC.
The question is how good is Jake Shields?

you need to rewatch the gunnar fight. It was a Maia onslaught par none.

Sounds like you are determined to shit on Ben
Yep. Clear indication he may not have even watched those fights. Gunnar got schooled the entire time they were on the ground. Maia has landed sweeps with ease since forever.

"Well yeah, I know all that, but not like THESE sweeps on Askren."

Yeah, they were just as easy. You need to watch more Maia fights.

Great performance nonetheless. Mia was/is/will be a goddamn wizard on the ground.

Maia is the best bjj fighter in UFC.
The question is how good is Jake Shields?
How good is he? Take a gander at Shields' resume before "getting old". Anyway, Shields was able to sit in Maia's guard and do absolutely nothing but control him, sorta. That in and of itself is an accomplishment, I guess.

Back