I've never been in a Twister, so I'm having a hard time visualizing....

Djangoman2k

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
how it works from a defensive position. Most submissions, I can understand why they work, but with the twister I'm having a hard time visualizing why it hurts. Is it something that only works if you are not flexible enough to put your ear to your shoulder?

Sorry for the noobish question, but none of the guys at my gym do the maneuver, and I am very curious about it.

It puts torque on your spine pretty much. Your hips turn one way, your shoulders turn the other.

Why not just let someone put you in one? That's the best way to figure out why a submission works :p

Its a spine lock and it hurts.

Hurts anywhere from your neck down to your hips--wherever the weakest point is at the moment or everywhere at once.

think of your spine as an "I".

the goal is to turn it into a "C".

yeah, that's gonna hurt.

will the twister break the neck/spine? I have been asking this question and haven't found a good answer

I know that if it did break the spine then it would have to hurt so bad before it even got to that point...anyone would tap before that shit happened

will the twister break the neck/spine? I have been asking this question and haven't found a good answer

I know that if it did break the spine then it would have to hurt so bad before it even got to that point...anyone would tap before that shit happened
yes it will break

Here is a good example of what can happen

peter.jpg

Erik Paulson showed the 'twister' to Rickson Gracie in 1990. He asked Rickson what he thought of a Wrestler's Guillotine, and Rickson said to show him, and then in his Brazillian accent said "Oh, this is a good stretch, a good stretch for my back".

This is obviously back in the Gracie Garage days. Paulson tells another story of showing Royce a straight ankle lock and Royce laughed at him, but Royce's other students apparently screamed.

Back