I've lost my sense of smell (and almost burned my house down)

Doughbelly

action scientist αlpha-nerd
@Gold
Reaction score
So about a week ago, I caught a cold. Nothing serious, but it's taking a while to clear. Then two days ago, I noticed I couldn't smell anything. Sinuses are still acting up, but I figure things will clear on their own.

A little while ago, I'm sitting around wondering why the house is all hazy, considering that if the sinus pressure is enough to affect my vision, I should go on meds. Then I started thinking, why is that side of the house hazy and that other side not? Looked out the window. I can see fine, so it's not sinus pressure.

For a few seconds, I'm wondering if it's not my water heater that's sprung a leak and I'm walking through the kitchen to get to the utility room when I realize that it's not steam, but smoke coming out of the pot of chicken soup I'd left boiling an hour or two before.

giphy.gif

There are better ways to kill a GF/Wife. Sinusitis is a good alibi though.

If by "cold" you mean copious insufflation of powder cocaine, I totally understand.

Hah, I've done that, too, but this is something else. It's one thing to lose sensitivity in your sense of smell for a while but I have absolutely ZERO sense of smell right now. None. I sat in the same apartment with a burning pot of stuff with smoke filling the house and I noticed nothing.

Do you even smoke detector bro?

have you seen smoke before op? goddamn

Still think it was probably sinus pressure imo

In all seriousness, I hope it comes back. Happened to a friend of mine 10 years ago and it was one of the worst things he's ever been through. People get why losing sight or hearing can be difficult, but sense of smell is often overlooked. We rely on it for so much and it can really have an effect on little things (often things that make you happy) throughout the day.

In all seriousness, I hope it comes back. Happened to a friend of mine 10 years ago and it was one of the worst things he's ever been through. People get why losing sight or hearing can be difficult, but sense of smell is often overlooked. We rely on it for so much and it can really have an effect on little things (often things that make you happy) throughout the day.

Like smelling my farts.

I met a girl who stank like shit the other day. REALLY BAD. Consider yourself lucky.

This is why I like my Nu Wave cooktop. It shuts itself off if I don't.

I met a girl who stank like shit the other day. REALLY BAD. Consider yourself lucky.
no way man, your sense of smell saved your ass there - you could have hooked up with a sewer rat and then you'd be stankin' too... but wallowing in it without knowing. You'd be castigated and shunned and wind up homeless and banging stinkys for the rest of your filthy days.

Smell Bless.

Back