I've finally figured out why a lot of people dislike McGregor

13 others

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Didn't make a lot of sense to me at first as to why McGregor got all the hate he did, especially here on Sherdog. The guy really is a Cinderella story (so to speak). He has a lot of charisma, can hype all his fights, easily captivates the crowd, always in an entertaining fight, great consistent finishes, broke Jose Aldos unbeaten streak etc.

At first glance I thought all his hate was stemming from his relentless trash talk, which I could see being warranted. I get why people don't like that but at the same time do people really buy in THAT much to all that trash talking BS? Sure it hypes fights but none of it is genuine. McGregor knows how to hype fights and he is one of the fee who chose a (im using this term loosely) WWF type of approach to his pre/post fight antics. We saw Chael really implement this prior/post Anderson fights, and it essentially got him back to back title shots, a lot of fans, and a lot of $. I just wasn't buying this as the main reason for all the Conor hate, as it was a solid business plan that (I hope) alot of people can see through.

Again, I just couldn't figure it out. Maybe it was McGregors devestating 13 second KO of P4P king Jose Aldo? Could all this hate derive from salty Jose Aldo fans? A little, sure, but not all of it.

Well as time passed on after McGregors first UFC loss to Diaz I've now come to realize why so MANY people hate on McGregor, and it isn't even because of something HE did. Rather it is because of all his ratherly over the top ill informed fans who have the IQ equivalent to that of a wet sock. They're all over my Facebook as of late and are slowly driving me away from being a McGregor fan. I just can't side with his fans, any opportunity to have a legit conversation of his upcoming fight against Diaz is completely thrown out the window at the first chance his fans are given.

I'm a big fan (or atleast was) of McGregor and Diaz and was neutral as to who I wanted to win the first fight although I would of put my $ on McGregor if I had too. Going into the second I have to rally behind Diaz because of shit his fans say like these beauties below..

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I don't hate him because of a low IQ, believe me. I don't hate him at all actually. But his obsession with money, clothes, etc is a turn off and makes him seem extremely shallow.

Being humble goes a long way and he certainly isn't

He and Ronda would make a good pair. They should get married.

i just don't like how other fighters trained years and worked their way up the rankings and conor talked his way into fights they were more deserving of

It's because he's white. I can't think of a single white fighter who isn't disrespected like this.

The gassing excuse is some garbage. I've watched the fight a few times, he suddenly was gassed right about the time Nate tagged him and had him wobbling around like a drunk. A world champion does not gas out after a round and a half. The pace of that fight wasn't even that fast.

I don't like him because of his milkman and his fishmonger. Those guys are a pair of assholes.

mcgregor_conor_weigh_ins-1040x572.jpg

000be716-642.jpg

A lot of the Conor haters are equally mentally challenged. I also grew a little tired with his inflated hyperbole. Up to a point it was amusing but then he started to believe his own hype and it became rather irritating. I wanted him to beat Nate but to be honest he took the loss well unlike Ronda who has yet to resurface from her cushion. And as you mentioned it did earn him chances other fighters who took the regular route never received.

I guess as the sport grows it just attracts a lot of clueless partisan arseholes.

You are correct, sir.

But that's why I always say: I don't hate your favorite fighter, I hate you.

Straight, white, male, cisgender scum who doesn't check his privilege, bro....he needs to watch his microagrresssions with that "cholo" stuff, too

hqdefault.jpg

I don't hate him because of a low IQ, believe me. I don't hate him at all actually. But his obsession with money, clothes, etc is a turn off and makes him seem extremely shallow.

Being humble goes a long way and he certainly isn't
It's part of what made mayweather do rich. He talks trash, talks about the "money team" and obviously can fight. It makes ppl want to tune in. Something with mcgregor. It's an act. If he was so shallow, he would be breaking off bread to everyone around him.

Conor - the way this generation likes its stars, mouthy, rich and ' I dungiveafuck' even though they really really do.
Wish fulfilment for kids.
Conor either knows this and plays on it , or is just another member of the ME generation.
Unfortunately he's not as good at it as Chael was.
Either way, not a fan of that kind of self importance.

He's an alright fighter though and does give his fights a special air.
But not a fan. Maybe if he sticks around 10 years like Koscheck I'll start not disliking him as much.

Mayweather is annoying as shit but his defensive skillset is amazing and something to behold. McGregor is a decent fighter but his act is paper thin and even more annoying than Money's. Watching him skip the ranks and get special privilege is even worse and the hate is the flip side of that coin

It's part of what made mayweather do rich. He talks trash, talks about the "money team" and obviously can fight. It makes ppl want to tune in. Something with mcgregor. It's an act. If he was so shallow, he would be breaking off bread to everyone around him.
Mcgregor isn't as talented as Floyd, Can't win as many fights, just all around isn't as good.

The UFC and Conor fans make him out ti be that good and Conor buys it up is the problem.

I wouldn't care if Jones acted that way because he can back it up.

I agree 100%. I was actually far more on the McGregor bandwagon when he first started. I still admire his fighting style a lot and think he's a ballsy fighter (asking for this rematch instead of a tune up fight).

That being said, I remember the turning point for me was watching him fight Mendez at a Buffalo Wild Wings. I had attended this BWW since around UFC 100 for every major PPV. Never in my life did I see as many shit stains in a restaurant. When Mendes walked out with his American flag, a family sitting over by the bar cheered and got beer poured on them by a bunch of wannabe, bearded pussies.

I CANNOT stand most McGregor fans... They are a cancer

They're all over my Facebook as of late and are slowly driving me away from being a McGregor fan.

I think you might need to take a long look in the mirror. FB groups people with common traits..... :p

I don't have any garbage like that on my fb page.

It's because he's white. I can't think of a single white fighter who isn't disrespected like this.

you have a point. i think it's because white fighters are the only one's who can still be openly criticized. even mention that some fighters are black and a thread vanishes off the site

Back