IV rehydration "I'll just go to a hospital and they'll rehydrate me"

There are a lot of things a hospital will gladly give you if they feel it will help you out, many of them will make you fail your drug test and lead to a suspension, thereby severely harming your career.

How are the plastic residues in plastic IV bags different from other plastic residues (from bottled water, for instance)? How would they be able to tell the residues found are from IVs?

Why is IV banned in the first place? Fear of doping with it? A hospital won't dope you...

It's just a really stupid attempt to regulate the weight cut made by professional fighters. Now, what's going to happen is that they'll cut the same amount of weight to continue to fight in their divisions, but they'll have less fluid in their systems (specifically cerebral spinal fluid), which will affect their skulls' ability to absorb impact without damage and their cardiovascular endurance.

They can easily test for blood doping in a number of ways. IV fluids have no inherent bearing on that. The thing is that fluids taken orally absorb better than those taken intravenously anyways. IVs don't even provide a significant competitive advantage unto themselves (I also recognize that at the elite levels, even small differences can be defining factors). This is all just nonsense to say that they're addressing a problem.

There are a lot of things a hospital will gladly give you if they feel it will help you out, many of them will make you fail your drug test and lead to a suspension, thereby severely harming your career.

This guido gets it.

How are the plastic residues in plastic IV bags different from other plastic residues (from bottled water, for instance)? How would they be able to tell the residues found are from IVs?

My completely non-medical assumption is that it has something to with IV fluid going directly into your blood stream.

IV rehydration is not the default in the ER unless you are unconscious. They'd give you a bottle of pedialyte. End of story.

Question: if the reasoning behind the iv ban is blood doping, why doesn't the commission issue every fighter with an iv drip fluid without any hot sausce?

Like, a fighter gives the commission a heads up like a week prior to the weigh ins and they secure a clean iv dip which they can administer themselves....or have a representative of theirs administer it. This way the fighters still get to use iv drop but the commission makes sure no super solider serums accidentally get mixed in with the re hydration fluids.

this whole idea of banning this seems pretty silly to me, Im all for less weight cutting for sure....but it seems so sketchy to go about "fixing" weight cutting issues ...with something that is pretty hard to determine 100%...

if they want to limit weight cutting((which I 100% support)) same day weigh ins seems about the most effective way to deal with that

does anyone have a legit point against why they shouldnt have same day weigh ins?((intrested to know if theres something that hasnt occured to me about it))

just drink pedialyte and stop whining about it.

Well a doctor might legally prescribe steroids - and that doesn't matter to the UFC either. So if you go to a hospital or do it in your hotel room the result would be the same. You'd be busted for doing so in the post fight test and you'd end up forfeiting your win and your purse.

not if a smart fighter does it

this whole idea of banning this seems pretty silly to me, Im all for less weight cutting for sure....but it seems so sketchy to go about "fixing" weight cutting issues ...with something that is pretty hard to determine 100%...

if they want to limit weight cutting((which I 100% support)) same day weigh ins seems about the most effective way to deal with that

does anyone have a legit point against why they shouldnt have same day weigh ins?((intrested to know if theres something that hasnt occured to me about it))

As others have stated, the IV ban is only about reducing weight-cutting on the surface. What goes officially unmentioned, is that IV plastic residue is a huge red flag for certain PED use, such as blood doping, and the IV ban is also about reducing that.

Question: if the reasoning behind the iv ban is blood doping, why doesn't the commission issue every fighter with an iv drip fluid without any hot sausce?

Like, a fighter gives the commission a heads up like a week prior to the weigh ins and they secure a clean iv dip which they can administer themselves....or have a representative of theirs administer it. This way the fighters still get to use iv drop but the commission makes sure no super solider serums accidentally get mixed in with the re hydration fluids.

I'll admit this sounds legit, but im wondering if the IV flushes things there testing for, hense why they are banning it.

I understand the point of the IV ban, but what I don't understand is why hasn't it been banned since the NSAC first stated that they use WADA's banned substances list? Wasn't IVs banned by WADA before? So why is it now that USADA is involved in the testing are they banning IVs now? Doesn't USADA use the same list that the NSAC uses which is WADA's?

Seems silly to introduce the ban now.

As others have stated, the IV ban is only about reducing weight-cutting on the surface. What goes officially unmentioned, is that IV plastic residue is a huge red flag for certain PED use, such as blood doping, and the IV ban is also about reducing that.

yeah I get that....but the keyword is "red flag" meaning that it might mean something

would same day weigh ins not make it a 100% something is amiss if they found plastic residue

That's a good way to go about it. It's actually pretty good, too.

i've never had it, but our pediatrician said it usually tastes "off" unless you need it (dehydration). i wouldn't know myself.

i've never had it, but our pediatrician said it usually tastes "off" unless you need it (dehydration). i wouldn't know myself.

That may be why it was good to me. lol

I think the concern is that they could then go into their hotel room and do whatever, then use the permitted IV as the built-in reason for why the test comes back wonky.

yeah I get that....but the keyword is "red flag" meaning that it might mean something

would same day weigh ins not make it a 100% something is amiss if they found plastic residue

Same day weighins will never, ever happen. Multiple weighins maybe, but not one same day weighin. Fighters will still cut obscene amounts of weight and will simply have much less time to recover, leading to very dangerous situations.

Why is IV banned in the first place? Fear of doping with it? A hospital won't dope you...

low people will do anything for money and low people are everywhere. Including hospitals.

are you 15?

Back