It's time to stop the stupid myth that Tony Ferguson is hittable, or has a bad striking defense.

He also has this sweet roll in his back pocket if he ever gets in trouble..

giphy.gif

Nice. But can he double roll?

U58Lk0a.gif

He has alright defense but he doesn't fight defensively. He's quite an offensive guy who fights in a danger zone nonstop.

But also you have to look at guys like Lawler, Masvidal, McGregor or Gaethje who are more defensively sound and still fight very offensive.

He relies on toughness and a good chin more than anything. Without a strong chin, he would have had 10 KO losses.
I think this is really exaggerated to be honest.

He's a top 5 ranked professional fighter in a stacked division, he is suppose to have a good chin and be tough (it's literally his profession to be tough and sturdy).

I hate this exaggerated narrative that he only gets by because he has these attributes that are basically required attributes for his profession.

Read the damn post, or go watch his fight. because you're hugely misinformed if you believe that tony only relies on his chin and toughness. I expected more from a 2004 account.
bjpenngif.gif

Tony is one of the most hitable guys in the company.
He often bleeds, gets dropped and what not.
His style, not just defence is a bit...different

3.55 sig strikes landed per minute, does kind of say he's hit able.
Khabib is 1.70 sig strikes landed per minute.

I think this is really exaggerated to be honest.

He's a top 5 ranked professional fighter in a stacked division, he is suppose to have a good chin and be tough (it's literally his profession to be tough and sturdy).

I hate this exaggerated narrative that he only gets by because he has these attributes that are basically required attributes for his profession.
I think people tend to think about this in these terms:
Which of those top ranked fighters, granted that they are all tough and durable, would suffer the most if he had a weak chin.
Which is to say, whose style relies more on their chin.
If khabib, for instance, had a weak chin, he would be a worst fighter sure, but his way of fighting could keep working unchanged.

He’s a slow starter and he’s hittable early, but as the fight goes on he actually becomes slick and has good defense and head movement. He has u orthodox movement and can work from angles better than the majority of fighters. He’s a risk taker and puts himself in the line of fire. Even when he does get hit he manages to roll with shots well. He can be taken out in the first round though.

Tony absolutely is hittable. very much so. It's only a matter of time before he gets touched on the button. i don't think khabib will do it though.

3.55 sig strikes landed per minute, does kind of say he's hit able.
Khabib is 1.70 sig strikes landed per minute.
Khabib is usually on top though. Khabib’s defense isn’t horrible like some people believe it is, but I don’t think it’s particularly good either. He defends quite well when he advances forward and is on the front foot though. I think Khabib would be in trouble if he was backed up for 2 minutes and wasn’t allowed to grapple. I know striking isn’t his game but I think he’d absorb a lot of shots.

When you face the level of competition that Ferguson has you’re gonna take a few.
This.

And when you're aggressive as Tony is, you're going to end up leaving yourself open to being hit.

But he takes the hits to give them back, and usually ends up fucking up his opponents far worse once it's all said and done.

I think people tend to think about this in these terms:
Which of those top ranked fighters, granted that they are all tough and durable, would suffer the most if he had a weak chin.
Which is to say, whose style relies more on their chin.
If khabib, for instance, had a weak chin, he would be a worst fighter sure, but his way of fighting could keep working unchanged.
I understand what there trying to say but there still trying to discredit someone on something they should have. It's like saying a wide receiver relies too much on solid hands/jump ball ability (someone like Dez Bryant). It's like "well there professional athlete WR I would hope they have good common WR attributes".

I understand what there trying to say but there still trying to discredit someone on something they should have. It's like saying a wide receiver relies too much on solid hands/jump ball ability (someone like Dez Bryant). It's like "well there professional athlete WR I would hope they have good common WR attributes".
No, you misunderstand.
Of course all top ranked fighters must have a durable chin and be tough. Some, however, rely much more on their chin than others.
Thus why i mentioned khabib, as the most evident example of a fighter that has a solid chin but doesn't rely on it, since he's not hit too often.

No, you misunderstand.
Of course all top ranked fighters must have a durable chin and be tough. Some, however, rely much more on their chin than others.
Thus why i mentioned khabib, as the most evident example of a fighter that has a solid chin but doesn't rely on it, since he's not hit too often.
We'll yeah that's the whole point of fighting, fight your style (tony is relentless pace and aggressive style breaks people). Khabib doesn't need it often but he still needs it to be an elite professional fighter.

People are actling like Tony would be a tomato can if he had a terrible chin but if he had a terrible chin he would never be a top 5 fighter REGARDLESS of his fight style

There's nothing to misunderstand since I was never originally talking to you. I am just sick of people to try to knock/discredit someone on the basis of a single attribute that they should have

Matter of time before a ref pulls the trigger on him, gets tagged a lot.

He relies on toughness and a good chin more than anything. Without a strong chin, he would have had 10 KO losses.
Based off of nothing. He rolls with most punches. He's been hurt in 2-3 fights in his entire UFC career. He's only badly been hurt by Lando.

Based off of nothing. He rolls with most punches. He's been hurt in 2-3 fights in his entire UFC career.
Tony Ferguson: College wrestler, high level BJJ black belt, sean sherk level cardio, aggressive striking and relentless pace, crisp punches and solid angles, 15-1 UFC record in one of the top 3 most stacked divisions

Sherdog: He's just some tough guy that gets by on sheer will

It's a damn shame. In terms of overall attributes/talent he might be one of the most talented fighters in UFC history and he's arguably the most exciting fighter this decade. All of this and we have people literally saying "ehh he's just some tough guy" (LMAO)

Back