It's so painfully obvious how bad the UFC wants Chandler to be champion

Chandler is a white conservative who adopted a black child.
Who also happens to be a nice guy.
Of course they want him to win.
Chandler seems like a nice guy, and he can cut a promo.
However, Charles also seems like a nice guy. Grew up poor in the favela, and he still lives in that favela and helps out in the community.

Just look at all the UFC video clips/promos they're cutting about him. Compare those to the ones they're cutting for Olives. I can't wait for Oliveira to "upset" this guy.

That being said, I like Chandler a lot. He's got a good head on his shoulders. I don't fault him one bit for taking advantage of anything he can in this fight game. But the last thing the UFC wants is a guy like Oliveira who doesn't speak english well, isn't very marketable in the US, winning the vacant title. But the fact is, he's probably going to win because he's legit. The cream will always rise to the top. Let's go Olives.

Heh, they might want Chandler to win. But it actually would show UFC is not that great, since Chandler was not the top dog in Bellator.
Just goes to prove they know it as well.

but I honestly dislike this theory that people don't want Oliveira to win.
The dude is legit, a great guy and respected by almost everyone.
"but he does not speak English" So what?? Silva didn't either and was one of the greatest in the UFC.

People need to stop making such claims.
The best thing about MMA is that this is a competition with guys from the entire world. Not just US/UK or English speaking champions.
They can't promote him in US? Well, they can promote the hell out of him in Brazil. And they have enough American fighters in US to promote the sport there as well, for the xenophobe crowd.
No need to shit on Oliveira or root for Chandler to accomplish that.

ufc couldnt care less who wins. only casuals get worked up over promo videos or who gets more clicks on twitter.
I agree. Dana just plows ahead business-wise regardless of who wins.

He honestly seems to like good fights as much as the rest of us.

agree. he seems like a real dickhead and fake nice guy. giving very strong DC vibes.

will be cheering heavily for Charles.

It does seem like that but it could be possible that Oliviera just doesn’t want the cameras in his face all the time while he’s preparing for a fight.

I also notice that the embedded series has been focusing more on Dariush than Ferguson but I assume Ferguson just doesn’t want the cameras on him as much.

Oliveira is the slight betting favorite at the moment, so it won't exactly be an "upset" if he wins.

But I agree the UFC is definitely pushing Chandler, for obvious reasons. From a business perspective the UFC would of course prefer having a well spoken American guy as champ vs a Brazilian who doesn't speak any English. Can't blame them at all for promoting Chandler heavily in this one.

It's not just because he's an American and speaks English. It's mostly his charisma. That he could come into the UFC, knock Hooker out in the first round and cut a promo. He has the potential to be a draw for them. Oliveira doesn't.

I agree. Dana just plows ahead business-wise regardless of who wins.

He honestly seems to like good fights as much as the rest of us.

he about putting on fights on the dates that are coming up and all.

people who over look that are maybe haters.

timing paying way more when booking fights than anything else.

look at the izzy fight. izzy needed a title fight later this summer an robert was unable to make that quick a turnaround for what ever reason so that why marvin is fighting.

if dustin wasnt waiting for conor it been charles vs dustin and justin vs chandler but when that happened maybe the ufc flipped a coin between justin and chandler to see who fights charles./

Yep. Would be a tough call for myself. Oliveira is more exciting and I also think the better fighter. It's a bit of a waste to promote the guy who's likely to lose. People working for the UFC for a long time should have an idea of who's likely to win. How they match up.

He's white, and American... He would be a huge asset as champ in business terms.

It may be 2021, but marketability doesn't change much.
Pretty straightforward lol idk why people are acting surprised.

Chandler did what the ufc needed at the right moment and the right way.

They wanted Izzy to beat Jan. And how did that work out for them?

The one thing I don’t get is as a top contender or even champion is why you wouldn’t learn English? It makes all the sense in the world marketing wise. It ups your earning potential hugely. Personally, I don’t care if a fighter speaks English. It’s their career and if they want to flush money down the toilet, so be it. But as a manager I would do everything possible to get my foreign language fighter to learn English. It doesn’t have to be perfect. Just so you can be understood by English speakers.

I can only assume that they don't want to and feel they can get by without it. Many others have gotten by just fine without it. I do agree that it would help them, though. I guess they just pick their battles and learning English isn't one of them

I mean, they could have just as easily given the fight to a less dangerous opponent. I really don’t see any ulterior motives here.
Because at the same time, you could argue Chandler got KO’d by the Bellator FW/LW champion. I don’t see any reason they would want that.

They wanted Izzy to beat Jan. And how did that work out for them?

The one thing I don’t get is as a top contender or even champion is why you wouldn’t learn English? It makes all the sense in the world marketing wise. It ups your earning potential hugely. Personally, I don’t care if a fighter speaks English. It’s their career and if they want to flush money down the toilet, so be it. But as a manager I would do everything possible to get my foreign language fighter to learn English. It doesn’t have to be perfect. Just so you can be understood by English speakers.

Learning another language late in life isn’t easy, those who can have the ability, for some, it’s next to impossible to pull off. As an American, we take foreign language in high school, some take it for several years, even then, you can’t just bust it out comfortably. Plus everyone must be careful not to say the wrong things nowadays, because of work culture, imagine being from another country.

Europeans excel because they learn multiple languages growing up in Europe, their brains already end up wired to handle 3 languages with ease. Even Khabib is multi-lingual.

People from Korea, Brazil, Thailand, Philippines, Mexico will all have serious challenges IMO.

I agree, to speak English is to up your value, it’s just a bitch.

Just look at all the UFC video clips/promos they're cutting about him. Compare those to the ones they're cutting for Olives. I can't wait for Oliveira to "upset" this guy.

That being said, I like Chandler a lot. He's got a good head on his shoulders. I don't fault him one bit for taking advantage of anything he can in this fight game. But the last thing the UFC wants is a guy like Oliveira who doesn't speak english well, isn't very marketable in the US, winning the vacant title. But the fact is, he's probably going to win because he's legit. The cream will always rise to the top. Let's go Olives.

It would probably be Oliveira being heavily promoted if the UFC was a Brazilian promotion, the fight was in Brazil and Chandler was too lazy to learn Portuguese.

You know, the more experience I get with watching hype the more I realize it's meaningless. Just because the UFC, the media, or dorks on Sherdog want someone to win doesn't mean they will. And if they do that doesn't mean they can say "told you so I'm so smart". In most cases the better fighter wins so it really doesn't matter. It's still entertaining to watch the establishment cry over their fighter failing but who cares.

Regardless, I'm hoping to see Chandler win because I decide who I want to win, not the man.

Chandler is a good dude but it’s clear UFC is pushing him because he a sacrificial lamb for Conor. He’s tailor made for Conny.

Olives doesn't even try to be marketable, couldn't learn a bit of English in 10 years? That's pathetic, he doesn't deserve the title, would be an awful champ.

you really think they're pushing Chandler? no, they want Conor as the champ. that's the ideal situation. this fight doesn't matter too much to the UFC, it's just to keep these 2 guys busy while they wait to see what comes out of Conor vs Dustin 3.

nothing more, nothing less. what they're really hoping for is that Conor can win and they can setup a fight between the winner of this fight for the title. that's why it's Oliveira vs Chandler, because they both have styles that Conor could beat. that's why Gaethje has been doing fuckall, because they don't want him in the title picture right now. he's a dangerous fight vs Conor and he has a chance to beat Dustin/Oliveira/Chandler.

Back