"It's ridiculous for CM Punk to fight in the UFC." - Joe Rogan

There seems to be this MMA snobbery type attitude towards CM Punk because A: he's famous and B. He came from WWE.

Yes that's the snobbery. Just because of WWE. It has nothing to do with
  1. hes the only athlete in ANY sport to be given a contract with the top organization with no prior experience
  2. He has absolutely no background in any combat sport besides occassionally and sporatic BJJ training.

Rogan has always said whatever the fuck he wants on his podcast. Only haters believe he's some kind of UFC shill.

Uh oh, Rogans telling the truth again...

I know Lashley, Batista, and Sean O'haire had dabbled in MMA. I wonder if it was there decision to test themselves on smaller shows, or if UFC was an option.
Yeah, the whole thing is just weird to me. I remember just "knowing" he was going to Bellator or maybe WSOF and the UFC wouldn't even bother with him before the news broke out that it was actually the UFC that signed him. It came off as a desperation signing for UFC to snatch him away from everyone else. Rogan's right though, it doesn't really make sense, that's the only reason why I bring up Chael being friends with him.

Rogan has a huge audience - 1.8 million followers on twitter and his podcast gets millions and millions of plays each month. His Fight Companion podcast was averaging 2 million downloads (according to Joe) which would mean he can possibly out perform the actual broadcast on FS1.

He's also been around since before the dark ages and is a fixture in the sport.

For all of these reasons, he is not easily replaceable. He's also a multi-millionaire for many years and doesn't need the job. He gets to behave very differently than fighters.

A handful of fighters get treated well and make great pay, virtually everyone else makes peanuts and is disposable. Even an icon like Georges St. Pierre was kicked on his way out the door.

Yes that's the snobbery. Just because of WWE. It has nothing to do with
  1. hes the only athlete in ANY sport to be given a contract with the top organization with no prior experience
  2. He has absolutely no background in any combat sport besides occassionally and sporatic BJJ training.

Those are legitimate criticisms. People ragging on him because he came from wwe isn't, the people who also rag on Lesnar for the same reason.
How's about the positives... UFC is going to make some money off him, it's generated an enormous amount of publicity, CM has a big following and plenty of those are potentially life long mma fans, Mickey Gall increases his profile.

Punk was signed in 2014, one of their worst years in the modern era. The UFC was more desperate for ratings and hype back then. The whole thing would have been handled very differently today.
is this Kenny Florian? You just ripped off Ariel Helwani

It's one fight out of the 500 UFC will put on this year

I really don't think it's a big deal

What CM Punk did was either track down the UFC and ask for a contract or he simply announced he was gonna try mma and the UFC reached out to him. Regardless of how it went down. Punk didn't handle it correctly. What he should have done was train for mma in secret. And see how is training goes if MMA would be a thing he would like to do. So there would be no pressure on him fighting or not. After a year of full time training. You would know whether or not you are cut out for the fight game. If he believes he can do it. Then he should announce his entry into the sport of MMA.

That's exactly how I thought it went down!!! When he left WWE in 2014. I thought he immediately went training for MMA full time in secret. Was about to have a fight on the regional circuit but UFC caught wind of it and offered him a fight. So obviously now being in the UFC he would need more than just one year of mma training. Hence why his fight hasn't happened yet. But then I found out he's only been training full time for like 13 months!!! Wtf?

If the UFC ends up letting him fight Gall they're stupid, he will get stomped in minutes and let's say Gall actually is a real talent the dude might get seriously hurt. He doesn't seem to be the heathiest person.

I want Punk vs. Kimbo Open weight Japan shit Coker.

Those are legitimate criticisms. People ragging on him because he came from wwe isn't, the people who also rag on Lesnar for the same reason.
How's about the positives... UFC is going to make some money off him, it's generated an enormous amount of publicity, CM has a big following and plenty of those are potentially life long mma fans, Mickey Gall increases his profile.

I don't think Punk will make UFC much money. I for one will purposefully avoid watching the entire card he's on in protest, after he told fans who didn't like what he was doing not to watch.

Both Kenny Florian and Daniel Cormier have stated interest is rapidly waning. There's also been a lot of media reporting how each set back has cost him a huge amounts of eyeballs http://www.rantsports.com/mma/2016/...terest-in-cm-punk-with-latest-injury-setback/

Lastly, Mickely Gall while perhaps talented, is now a huge problem for the UFC. He's a young guy and has been rushed to the big leagues when he should have had more time to develop. This may lead to serious injuries and even destroy his entire career due to a premature upgrade all for the sake of some celebrity getting a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
What CM Punk did was either track down the UFC and ask for a contract or he simply announced he was gonna try mma and the UFC reached out to him. Regardless of how it went down. Punk didn't handle it correctly. What he should have done was train for mma in secret. And see how is training goes if MMA would be a thing he would like to do. So there would be no pressure on him fighting or not. After a year of full time training. You would know whether or not you are cut out for the fight game. If he believes he can do it. Then he should announce his entry into the sport of MMA.

That's exactly how I thought it went down!!! When he left WWE in 2014. I thought he immediately went training for MMA full time in secret. Was about to have a fight on the regional circuit but UFC caught wind of it and offered him a fight. So obviously now being in the UFC he would need more than just one year of mma training. Hence why his fight hasn't happened yet. But then I found out he's only been training full time for like 13 months!!! Wtf?

He went after Dana, UFC did not go after him. Punk admitted pursuing UFC and later changed his story. You don't see UFC going after Kurt Angle or Bautista, the idea of them pursuing a 0-0 Pro wrestler is ridicolous.

I agree w your points, he should have quietly trained like Brock to see if it was for him, then talked. Not talked first and then saw if it was for him.

It's almost like the UFC isn't as heavy-handed in preventing their employees from saying what they want as the Bellator/RIZIN shills claim.
Its Rogan if this had been a ref or a cut man they would have fired them

He went after Dana, UFC did not go after him. Punk admitted pursuing UFC and later changed his story. You don't see UFC going after Kurt Angle or Bautista, the idea of them pursuing a 0-0 Pro wrestler is ridicolous.

I agree w your points, he should have quietly trained like Brock to see if it was for him, then talked. Not talked first and then saw if it was for him.
Exactly. Because if he did it quietly. He could have quit while he was ahead and no one would be the wiser. Now there is so much pressure from the fans, fighters, the company for him to fight. He can't back out now without looking like a major tool and coward.

Also it's really shady of Punk to make it out like the UFC sought him out. I saw an interview with him and he made it out that he put the feelers out there and that the UFC bit. What a jackoff.

Last edited:
"I don't know what's going to happen with that guy. I don't understand this whole thing. Well, I also think it's ridiculous for him to fight in the UFC. I think he should fight in a small organization. Take a fight in a small organization, build yourself up. I have always said that's what should have happened with Brock Lesnar."

tumblr_o0x4anfUf11ry1rm7o1_500.gif

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/2/2...nk-its-ridiculous-for-him-to-fight-in-the-ufc

My take - Punk is a publicity stunt for the UFC, but it does hurt their image a bit. I'm surprised Rogan can say stuff like this while under contract with the UFC. It seems unusual for a company to be ok with an employee bad mouthing their decisions to the public.

Fighting in lower tier shows is a giant waste of time especially for a 37 year old.

That's why they fired Stich, right?

They may have. You have no evidence, though, so I'm not going to take Stitch's (or your) word for it. Of course he's butthurt, he lost his job.

Burt left the company and it had nothing to do with Reebok. He was tight-lipped about it, but he probably just didn't get along with some of the higher-ups. Enough was enough and he just quit. Well, something similar may have happened with Stitch. He wasn't getting along with someone and instead of having the opportunity to quit, they canned him. Oh well.

"I don't know what's going to happen with that guy. I don't understand this whole thing. Well, I also think it's ridiculous for him to fight in the UFC. I think he should fight in a small organization. Take a fight in a small organization, build yourself up. I have always said that's what should have happened with Brock Lesnar."

tumblr_o0x4anfUf11ry1rm7o1_500.gif

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/2/2...nk-its-ridiculous-for-him-to-fight-in-the-ufc

My take - Punk is a publicity stunt for the UFC, but it does hurt their image a bit. I'm surprised Rogan can say stuff like this while under contract with the UFC. It seems unusual for a company to be ok with an employee bad mouthing their decisions to the public.

maybe he wants to get into the cage,,,, or yet has less balls than CM

Back