It's really good that Rousey vs. Holm is happening next...

SnitchInsider

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Holly Holm will be 34 in October. Her situation is very similar to the one Cormier was in with Jones where the fight needed to be made while there was still a fight worth making. With Miesha/Cyborg and to a lesser extent Nunes all seemingly on the docket, it could have been too late to ever sell that fight with Holm if they waited.

This was a good decision.

Do I think Holm has much of a chance? No. But it should help make or destroy the myth of "just jab and circle away to stop Rousey," which Holm will certainly be capable of doing. Even if she's only able to keep Rousey away for a short period of time, there would be a lot that we could glean from this fight. Holm also has some fantastic leg kicks, which seem on their face like a bad thing to use against Rousey, but then again no one has tested her with kicks yet so somewhat interested in seeing that.

I also think this has a chance to be a bigger fight in PPV than Rousey vs. Cyborg (assuming that fight isn't at UFC 200 or something stacked). As much as hardcore fans would love Rousey vs. Cyborg, I think the reality is Rousey vs. Holm is a WAY easier sell to casuals.

The only thing I don't know about is what to do with Miesha. Miesha vs. Nunes makes some sense but I'd hate to kill off two contenders at the same time like that.

let's be honest, does anyone actually remember any holm fights? as much as the tate fight was uninteresting, this is a whole different level

.....just showing a picture of Cyborg with absolutely no words pushing the event other than "this will fight Ronda Rousey" would sell PPV ten times more effectively than a skinny housewife looking Holm.

It's an interesting stylistic match up. I've been wanting to see how Ronda handles a real striker. Hopefully it's competitive.

Holm will get wiped out in round 1. With that said it is smart that they made this fight now. Holm will only be undefeated for so long, if she fights Tate or Zingano she would get beat and then the UFC loses it's marketing promo.

Tate needs to rematch Zingano. If she beats her (and I think she will, she has improved), then she is the most credible contender left for Rousey.

I'm fine with whatever. Regardless of the order they happen, Rousey is looking at the same opponents for her next 4 fights or so. Just let her run through them in whichever sequence Zuffa thinks will make the most money.

let's be honest, does anyone actually remember any holm fights? as much as the tate fight was uninteresting, this is a whole different level

Right, but I don't think the fact that she's a decision machine means much. Whether she was blasting chicks with KOs in the first round or not, ultimately what will decide this fight is whether Rousey can clinch, because there's nothing Holm is going to be able to do skill wise to be competitive once that happens.

Holm isn't a great sell on her MMA resume but she's a great sell on the overall boxing champ, undefeated narrative. She's also a very interesting style matchup for Rousey. For whatever it's worth, she's by far the best striker Rousey has seen. Her grappling is probably so low that it doesn't matter, but it's still a skillset that might force Rousey to do a different approach to close the distance. If Rousey can effortlessly close the distance against a tactician like Holm without getting hit, I think that would say a lot about Rousey's chances against Cyborg.

Maybe Miesha will derail Cyborg now. XD

At least if holm jabs and runs her way to a decision win it will put an end to the Rhonda vs Mayweather debate

Last edited:
Best striker by far MMA-wise over Kaufman? Not sold.

Kaufman is a better MMA fighter. She's not a better striker than Holm. I'm not just talking about hands, either. Holm is a better athlete and is more dynamic with what she can throw at you because she's good with her legs as well as her hands.

Kaufman is a better MMA fighter. She's not a better striker than Holm. I'm not just talking about hands, either. Holm is a better athlete and is more dynamic with what she can throw at you because she's good with her legs as well as her hands.

Holm hasn't shown enough in MMA to me to prove that she's a better ie. more effective MMA striker than Kaufman. Pennington more than held her own striking and Reneau just looked horrible like she was mystified by the Holm hype.

agree. ronda vs tate 3 is pointless. i'm not paying $60 to see that shit again.

Would LOL if Ronda shoots the low single like Randy did vs Toney.

I'm excited for this. It reminds me of the GSP Shields situation. A fight that might not be to exciting but definitely one that needs to happen. A lot of people claimed Shields would be GSP's toughest fight, just like a lot of people claimed Holm's would be Rousey's. This is a fight that's been in the making for a couple of years.

Yes, I remember them for being extremely unimpressive and boring

Maybe Holm'll go full Caleb Starnes and we'll get to see Ronda's cardio put to the test.

Seriously though. There is an outside chance this will go to the 2nd round, that'd be cool....Right?

Back