Its ok to drink alcohol again!!!!!!!!!!!!

Learn something new every day. Time to have a beer.

maybe, but I got hammered the other night and when I ran my three mile the next day it was a disaster (it was also in the mid 90s).

Oh lord, just when I made peace with the fact that Im just not gonna drink anymore.

Whole Health Source: Does Red Wine Protect the Cardiovascular System?

Short answer: No. It's the alcohol itself. (For the sake of neutrality, I'll mention again here that I don't drink.)

XTrainer, I have seen a recent study (I will try to dig this up), which also confirms a "J-curve" for all types of alcohol. Initially, mortality risk goes down as drinks per day increase (the left side of the J). However, the hook on the J, where risk begins to go back up, is strikingly different depending on the type of alcohol. So, there IS something about small to moderate amounts of ethanol itself that is beneficial (which your link agrees with), but the type of alcoholic beverage also matters (which your link seems to mock).
The following results from the study are from memory so they may be a little off.
For hard liquor, the risk begins to go back up once you pass about 3 drinks per day.
For beer, the risk begins to go back up once you pass about 4-5 drinks per day.
For red wine, the curve never hooks back up.

I have no idea why this is the case, I have seen the antioxidants in wine pitched around (which your link disagrees with) and I think I have seen that brewers yeast has positive health effects, which explains why wine and beer seem to better liquor. I've other (to me, a little outlandish) suggestions that the body can handle wine ane beer better because they can be made through natural fermentation, while you need a distilling process to make hard liquor...I don't really buy this one, though. In short, I have no idea why the type of alcohol seems to matter, only that it appears to be true empirically.

I like having a couple of beers. The problem for me is that it tends to screw with my sleep patterns. If I'm going to have beers, it generally has to be after training in the evening, which means it's close to when I go to sleep. That general results in me coming wide awake about 2 hours after falling asleep.

Thank you for the articles! Spaten Octoberfest is on tap at home right now. :)

XTrainer, I have seen a recent study (I will try to dig this up), which also confirms a "J-curve" for all types of alcohol. Initially, mortality risk goes down as drinks per day increase (the left side of the J). However, the hook on the J, where risk begins to go back up, is strikingly different depending on the type of alcohol. So, there IS something about small to moderate amounts of ethanol itself that is beneficial (which your link agrees with), but the type of alcoholic beverage also matters (which your link seems to mock).
The following results from the study are from memory so they may be a little off.
For hard liquor, the risk begins to go back up once you pass about 3 drinks per day.
For beer, the risk begins to go back up once you pass about 4-5 drinks per day.
For red wine, the curve never hooks back up.

I have no idea why this is the case, I have seen the antioxidants in wine pitched around (which your link disagrees with) and I think I have seen that brewers yeast has positive health effects, which explains why wine and beer seem to better liquor. I've other (to me, a little outlandish) suggestions that the body can handle wine ane beer better because they can be made through natural fermentation, while you need a distilling process to make hard liquor...I don't really buy this one, though. In short, I have no idea why the type of alcohol seems to matter, only that it appears to be true empirically.

Would be great if you could dig up that study man :)

2625348212_54810f0216.jpg

Back