Its official! Sambo is now an Olympic sport!

Very good. With Sambo, Judo, Freestyle & Greco-Roman Wrestling we now at least have some proper sports in the olympics.
Let's be honest: Greco is awful. They should allow leg trips/entanglement to make it more dynamic.

Let's be honest: Greco is awful. They should allow leg trips/entanglement to make it more dynamic.
I have started with Greco and is a big part of the style I use and teach.

Unfortunately, the TV ratings are not in Greco's favour.

I have to strongly disagree here. Greco is far superior to freestyle in my opinion. Greco-Roman wrestling is arguably my favorite grappling style bar none.
How the most limited style is the "far superior"? So superior ignoring half of the body.

The occasional supplex is cool, but it is occasional. 98% of the time it is 2 dudes pretending to have t-rex arms.

How the most limited style is the "far superior"? So superior ignoring half of the body.

The occasional supplex is cool, but it is occasional. 98% of the time it is 2 dudes pretending to have t-rex arms.
It is far superior because in my opinion, it is both the most pure display of grappling skill as well as the absolute pinnacle of aesthetic throws.

I agree, though it can be very exciting sometimes and it certainly USED to be way more exciting. This match for example, was basically all-action:

It is far superior because in my opinion, it is both the most pure display of grappling skill as well as the absolute pinnacle of aesthetic throws.
What is pure about it? Even the name is fake and contrived. It isn't neither greek or roman, just some French dudes imagined "greeks and romans are honorable people, therefore they would ignore the legs". And that's some dumb jump of logic.

What is pure about it? Even the name is fake and contrived. It isn't neither greek or roman, just some French dudes imagined "greeks and romans are honorable people, therefore they would ignore the legs". And that's some dumb jump of logic.
It is pure because it forces the wrestlers to focus on the core parts of grappling: hand fighting, establishing and controlling dominant tie-ups and properly utilizing those. Even for people who don't want to stick with Greco-Roman wrestling, it is, in my opinion, the best grappling style to start with. Bar none.

I actually thought it was widely accepted that greco was superior to freestyle. Apparently it's a controversial opinion of mine.

It is pure because it forces the wrestlers to focus on the core parts of grappling: hand fighting, establishing and controlling dominant tie-ups and properly utilizing those. Even for people who don't want to stick with Greco-Roman wrestling, it is, in my opinion, the best grappling style to start with. Bar none.

I actually thought it was widely accepted that greco was superior to freestyle. Apparently it's a controversial opinion of mine.
Why it would be superior? Everything greco does, freestyle is allowed to and much more. Greco can teach good fundamentals, but also bad habits.

Why it would be superior?
To answer this question, we must first come to an agreement about what makes one wrestling style "superior" to another. Since i made the claim that i consider it superior, i'm going to explain what i meant by it in this context. I believe Greco-Roman Wrestling is superior because in my opinion, the techniques it focuses on are the most essential and important techniques of grappling and focusing exclusively on them leads to a more refined skill in those techniques for the practicioners of that style. Another reason i consider it superior is that i consider it superior entertainment, that is, more pleasant to look than other styles.
Everything greco does, freestyle is allowed to and much more. Greco can teach good fundamentals, but also bad habits.
This is my issue with freestyle. Greco techniques are, in my opinion, the core fundamentals of grappling. The more lax ruleset of freestyle wrestling waters it down, at least from my anecdotal experience. While freestyle wrestlers i knew had almost always difficulty transitioning to greco, as they felt their entire skillset was castrated, the greco wrestlers i knew transitioning to freestyle felt freestyle was much easier for them than even greco.

To answer this question, we must first come to an agreement about what makes one wrestling style "superior" to another. Since i made the claim that i consider it superior, i'm going to explain what i meant by it in this context. I believe Greco-Roman Wrestling is superior because in my opinion, the techniques it focuses on are the most essential and important techniques of grappling and focusing exclusively on them leads to a more refined skill in those techniques for the practicioners of that style. Another reason i consider it superior is that i consider it superior entertainment, that is, more pleasant to look than other styles.

This is my issue with freestyle. Greco techniques are, in my opinion, the core fundamentals of grappling. The more lax ruleset of freestyle wrestling waters it down, at least from my anecdotal experience. While freestyle wrestlers i knew had almost always difficulty transitioning to greco, as they felt their entire skillset was castrated, the greco wrestlers i knew transitioning to freestyle felt freestyle was much easier for them than even greco.
It's like saying racewalking is superior to running because it is harder and ignores a huge chunk of biomechanics.

It's like saying racewalking is superior to running because it is harder and ignores a huge chunk of biomechanics.
Do you not understand what i'm trying to argue here or do you see where i'm coming from but just disagree? What i'm saying is more akin to saying boxers are better at punching than MMA fighters because boxing focuses exclusively on punches.

I agree

Do you not understand what i'm trying to argue here or do you see where i'm coming from but just disagree? What i'm saying is more akin to saying boxers are better at punching than MMA fighters because boxing focuses exclusively on punches.
It's more like saying boxing is superior to Muay Thai. But knowing how do defend and attack the legs are a vital thing on grappling/wrestling.

And when it hits the ground, Greco has by far the poorest ground game.

The "superiority" of Greco is a made up notion that doesn't have much standing. Now the preference I can fully grasp no problem

It's more like saying boxing is superior to Muay Thai. But knowing how do defend and attack the legs are a vital thing on grappling/wrestling.
Not under Greco-Roman rules, obviously. I get the feeling we're talking at cross purposes here.
And when it hits the ground, Greco has by far the poorest ground game.

The "superiority" of Greco is a made up notion that doesn't have much standing. Now the preference I can fully grasp no problem
What ground game are we even talking about here? A specific ruleset?

Holy shit that's awesome!

Long live Sambo!

Hopefully the IOC doesn't screw it all up over the next 50 years.

Are you American? Because almost every single American wrestler who ended up being great in Greco was primarily a freestyle and scholastic wrestler first. Do you have examples of high-level Greco-Roman wrestlers who transitioned to freestyle and enjoyed high accolades?

I'm not saying this makes one better than the other, mind you. I'm just saying that, in America at least, almost all, if not all, successful Greco-Roman wrestlers were freestyle and scholastic wrestlers first.

Nope. I am on team greco. There is more high amplitude stuff in greco. From a purely spectator perspective, freestyle is more often then none won on a technicality or a back take. The notion that freestyle is more spectacular is wrong.

Back