It's Just A Matter of Time

I'm looking in the general direction of Tibau lol

at the Pro level, they just need to fine guys instead of pull them out of the fight. x amount per pound over. That shit will stop pretty quickly.

I only said it's unlikely because I can't see many fighters even fathom the idea of entering the ring dehydrated. Killing themselves to make weight the day prior is one thing, they have 24 hrs to rehydrate. Entering the ring that way would likely be guaranteeing a loss, or worse. I'm not saying it will never happen, I just don't think it will be as prominent as might be imagined. But I could be underestimating them.

Well, yes, but that's not quite how it would work.

Say a guy gets to the end of a fight camp and weighs 188 lbs and is contracted to fight at 170 lbs.

So he cuts 18 lb for the weigh in. Then what? Just throw the training away, along with the pay, etc?

No. Almost ANY fighter is then going to show up for the fight at 185 and fight 3 lbs short of full hydration... which isn't a lot if you're planning on sitting and watching the fight on your living room couch, but if you're IN the fight? Not a great way to begin.

And what about the guy who is 189... or 190... or 191?

At the pro level (where you need to fight to get paid) it would happen, and it would happen often.

The California approach seems more safe and effective potentially: have doctors annually determine a fighter's safe weight. Of course there will be a ton of debate as to how to determine that.

The idea of weighing fighters on fight day brings up the question: at what point on the day would they be weighed? I predict plenty of dudes will be missing weight on fight day, while others will be trying to rehydrate after their fight day weigh in. More hoops to jump through ain't gonna make for healthier weight cutting practices. And that's coming from someone who has cut weight before. The only thought in most competitors mind is how to win the fight, not what's most healthy. Some people unfortunately feel like it shows toughness to cut weight in unhealthy ways, so fight-day weigh ins just give them another chance to show how "badass" they are.

Reality is, there's no reason to weigh them at all.

Conor is a little bigger than Aldo, but anyone can see it's a good match-up.

Conor vs DC, not such a good match-up.

Nobody needs a scale to make good matches.

Scales are for weight classes, which are for championship belts, which are for marketing purposes.

If all we're interested in is good fights, then we can ditch the scales altogether.

Can't wait until title fights are called off on an hours notice. You bought expensive tickets? Who gives a fuck.

This rule is not needed, there's nothing wrong with the system in place. Just requires personal responsibility, something people don't like to hear these days.

If they are expected to be "personally responsible" to make a contracted weight the day before a fight couldn't they also be held "personally responsible" for making a contracted weight the day of?

About damn time.

Arkansas flies so far under the radar.

A STATE BEEYATCH

This rule is not needed, there's nothing wrong with the system in place. Just requires personal responsibility, something people don't like to hear these days.

The system is broken because it actively punishes responsible behavior, which is something lots of people seem unwilling to face.

Back