It's funny when you realize that Gus best win is a controversial decision against Zombie Shogun

"controversial"
f
2397847-computer-slap.gif

And people still ranks him high and want him to fight top 5 fighters.

He should fight people of his level and not monsters like Cormier, Glover, or Rumble.

A classic case of "wiki wisdom" being rather meaningless, if you'd actually watched his career you could know the tests he gave Cormier and Jones.

LHW is a giant turd fest. Gus' best wins were his losses to Jones and Cormier. Those fights earned him a TON of respect and kept him atop the 205 ladder.

In the 205 division, there is Cormier, Jones, Rumble, then everyone else. Gus is the best of the bunch after that, and he never REALLY impressed me.

He is a tough, gritty dude with decent striking to me. He isn't awful by any means, he just isn't a world beater.

Those are not facts, they are my opinions. Others may view the division and Gus differently, but thats my 2 cents.

Gus is a ex-con, no one can question that about him. He learned to fight in prison, and for that I have respect. He's no UFC caliber, but he's decent. I won't let there be discussion like this in the future without lending my voice. listen up, haters!

He beat Shogun pretty convincingly... If I remember right, you could maybe give Shogun one round in the fight (I believe it was round 2?) otherwise he couldn't do anything to Gus in the first or third round

Fuck off you troll.

Nothing controversial about that fight.

How do you figure? Gus came close to finishing DC and hurt him bad and did alot more damage to him than Jones did. Jones never came close to finishing or even hurting DC.
Not sure if I agree, post USADA has crowned some recent fighters that most would laugh at the thought of them becoming a champ. MMA isn't exactly the same as it was say a year ago, meaning clear cut favorites.

It was a clear win for Gus but it wasnt dominating by any means. 29-28 for Gus. Shogun did well though.
Rewatched it, and that's what I saw too. Gus used his reach and height well. Rua's knees really affect his road work and conditioning. Clear win for Gus, 29-28.

not that controversial, he went on to beat the shit out of Jones and Cormier. The point of Gustafsson's resume has been discussed to death, but to act like that is why people praise him is retarded. The guy gave the hardest fight to the two best guys in the division, and was robbed both times, that's why he's praised highly.

thanks for your new findings though, put a pin in it, we'll get back to it at another time

Gus is vastly overrated. Shogun deserved the victory in that fight. I thought it was clear as day.

A lot of people had Shogun arguably winning that fight.

A lot of people had Shogun arguably winning that fight.
Arguably I could be having a coke fuled orgy with the octagon girls. Arguably.

Shogun really didn't win that fight and this is me talking as a fan of his. I remember that fight very little fondness, it was painful to watch.

LHW is a shit division. Gus is an exceptional fighter, despite his tough, and in the case of the Jones fight, undeserved losses. I don't see anyone dethroning Cormier.

I find it so strange that Gus has so many haters. He's a really respectful and humble guy who has lost razor thin fights to the #1 and #2 in his division. He shows a lot of heart in his fights too. Just because he came up short against the top 2 in the division people want to shit on him? Poeple want to shit on his record, but he's only what, 28 years old? He's got a lot left in the tank. Give him time and he'll very likely rack up some more good wins at LHW.

Gus is a solid fighter, but he's also the single most overrated fighter in the history of MMA. Never have i seen a guy so cherished and promoted for losing 2 championship fights. 1 of them was blatantly gifted to him after getting brutally ko'd in his home country and he still lost.

He hasn't won a fight in over 2 years, and is only 1-3 in the last 3 years.

He only has 1 top 10 win in his whole career, the decision over Shogun. He's lost to every other top fighter he's faced. He's not a big personality or a trash talker, he's pretty boring person in fact.

Yet somehow he still has legions of dickriders and supporters.

And people still ranks him high and want him to fight top 5 fighters.

He should fight people of his level and not monsters like Cormier, Glover, or Rumble.
It's funny with people who can only digitally comprehend 1 and 0's on a paper record and has absolutely no concept of context.

He "lost" a split to both Cormier and Jones. Either fight could (and should) have went his way.

Neither should have. Don't be foolish. Pull any metric you like and he lost. Cleanly.

That being said. He's a warrior who gave them both all they could handle.

Back