It's distasteful to me that GSP has no interest in fighting Woodley

Lawler had 10 years to prove your point. Unfortunately for him, he wasn't a good enough fighter to earn a shot against GSP.
I don’t 100% agree with that.

Lawler was fighting at MW in his first ufc push, mainly because Militich didn’t want him at WW since Matt was the champion there, and apparently at the time Lawler would school the f out of Matt in training.

They used to tease Robbie and say he was one of those guys that was a beast in the gym but couldn’t put it together under the big lights, it always left out the fact that they were making him fight at MW to save the possibility of him fighting and beating Matt

THEN he left the UFC, had a decent run and came back to the UFC later reinventing himself at WW where he belonged all the time.

There is a HUGE possibility that he would have had the chance to fight George when they were both young and not battle work as contenders if Militich hadn’t kept him out of WW to protect Matt.

We have no idea how that fight could have or would have gone down, but it was not 100% Robbie’s fault he never got a shot at Gsp

I don’t 100% agree with that.

Lawler was fighting at MW in his first ufc push, mainly because Militich didn’t want him at WW since Matt was the champion there, and apparently at the time Lawler would school the f out of Matt in training.

They used to tease Robbie and say he was one of those guys that was a beast in the gym but couldn’t put it together under the big lights, it always left out the fact that they were making him fight at MW to save the possibility of him fighting and beating Matt

THEN he left the UFC, had a decent run and came back to the UFC later reinventing himself at WW where he belonged all the time.

There is a HUGE possibility that he would have had the chance to fight George when they were both young and not battle work as contenders if Militich hadn’t kept him out of WW to protect Matt.

We have no idea how that fight could have or would have gone down, but it was not 100% Robbie’s fault he never got a shot at Gsp
That’s common practice. Most gyms don’t like two top guys fighting each other. I hadn’t heard from anyone that Robbie schooled Matt. I do know Pat thought very highly of Matt’s ability. That would probably have been a very good fight. Both of those dudes are killers.

That’s common practice. Most gyms don’t like two top guys fighting each other. I hadn’t heard from anyone that Robbie schooled Matt. I do know Pat thought very highly of Matt’s ability. That would probably have been a very good fight. Both of those dudes are killers.
I know I’ve heard it talked about specifically before, but here’s a good source that hints around it without specifically saying it.

Militich says Robbie was koing champions in the gym , the champion there at that time was Matt

Edit: forgot the damn link.

Here

http://m.fightland.vice.com/blog/wh...hting-systems-back-in-the-glory-days---part-2

I know fans have a million excuses for it but I find it annoying. The GOAT WW leaves for a long time and then when he comes back to another dominate WW champion all he wants to do is cherry pick a weak MW champ and then guys a lot smaller than him? Lame.
You are so right man. It's amazing how fans just ignore things like this about certain fighters.

I guess its toy fine for guys like GSP and Conor to duck legit challenges.

You are so right man. It's amazing how fans just ignore things like this about certain fighters.

Neither GSP nor Conor is a champ, so they can't duck anyone - ducking is not giving the legit challenger a shot at the title. GSP has no title, so he's not stopping anyone from having a title shot.

Now when GSP fought Bisping he was keeping a legit challenger from a title shot, which is almost as bad as a champion ducking a challenger - both actions keep a legit challenger from a title shot. Similarly, if GSP fought for the LW or WW title, he'd be keeping a legit challenger from a title shot, which is as bad as ducking. But so long as he doesn't have a title it makes no difference to any fighter whether GSP fights them or not, because he's got no title to defend.

The aim is to become champ, and that path doesn't run through GSP for anyone, so its no skin off of anyone's nose if GSP fights them or not. Same with Conor. Its different for a champ - if a champ doesn't give you a fight, you can't become champ, which is why its called ducking for a champ. The path to becoming champ lies through the champ, not through guys like GSP or Conor with nothing to defend. There's no gain in fighting GSP or Conor.

GSP defended against all challengers for years and basically retired from active competition. He's not ducking anybody because he's not obligated to fight at all

Neither GSP nor Conor is a champ, so they can't duck anyone - ducking is not giving the legit challenger a shot at the title. GSP has no title, so he's not stopping anyone from having a title shot.

Now when GSP fought Bisping he was keeping a legit challenger from a title shot, which is almost as bad as a champion ducking a challenger - both actions keep a legit challenger from a title shot. Similarly, if GSP fought for the LW or WW title, he'd be keeping a legit challenger from a title shot, which is as bad as ducking. But so long as he doesn't have a title it makes no difference to any fighter whether GSP fights them or not, because he's got no title to defend.

The aim is to become champ, and that path doesn't run through GSP for anyone, so its no skin off of anyone's nose if GSP fights them or not. Same with Conor. Its different for a champ - if a champ doesn't give you a fight, you can't become champ, which is why its called ducking for a champ. The path to becoming champ lies through the champ, not through guys like GSP or Conor with nothing to defend. There's no gain in fighting GSP or Conor.
Correct, but no shade should be thrown gsp’s Way for going for those belts.

Only to the champs that accepted fights with him INSTEAD of the legit contenders.

Bisping is the duck in the scenario. Gsp just benifited from it and did what he’s supposed to do, go for the belts he desires.

He has 12 WW belts, I doubt he has any desire for another one.

MW was a new belt, and LW would be a new belt too.

When you break up with a girl for 4 years do you go try and get her back or try for new strange?

Thought so.

Pointless? No. Fighting the champion for a belt he never lost at his weight class is definitely not thatt
That’s exactly why it is, he never lost the WW belt, he has 12 of them.

Pointless to fight the flavor of the week.

Back