Its called prize fighting! not pride fighting

Aforo88

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Ask you're self this question. Why do every fighter in the UFC have one common goal, the belt?
Is it because the belt gives them a sense of achievement and pride? or is it because the UFC contracts are stipulated in a way witch gives Champions great financial security?

For the belt to have "true" value it has to come with great $$$, right? so my question is: Can Conor make his "own belt" by offering fighters who fight him in non title fights a greater pay day?

After watching the 196 presser I thought Conor had a great point when talking about the money fights and removing focus away from the belt. After all it is prize fighting.

I want to watch the best fights, so to me a fight between Conor and RDA is worth more as a non title fight at a catch weight of 160 given that both fighters perform the best at this weight. I say fuck the belts and give it up for the best fights regardless of weight classes.

Youre thoughts

They will soon be discounting the belts, and the title will be

c27c5f7b646537cd3178c7313ab0138a.jpg

Certain fighters have had their own title. Sakuraba how his own Saku belt and for a while he was considered the best middleweight on the planet. Fighters were lining up wanting to get their fight or rematch with him and cash in on the Saku sweepstakes calling him out. Very similar to the Conor sweepstakes and the Conor title of just being the guy to beat him.

Pretty sure it was called Pride Fighting

Pride_Logo.jpg

and

pride-never-die.jpg

Last edited:
Not a fan of this, but I like belts. It doesn't really matter what sport, there has to be a trophy/title to play for. Someone has to be the best, or whats the point in competing, and if the guys are going to have fights without titles on the line, then the best guys won't necessarily hold the titles

Some people can't separate Conor talking shit from Conor talking real.

He talks real 3/4 of the time and mixes in sensational just to screw with his opponent. Like when RDA called him out on not calling ppl with the "American dream" traitors.. Its just games. That was his response before talking more shit.

A little of what he says is BS. This is one example.

They can get on PPV etc if they win the belt but ya conor is a much bigger draw/money than any belt alone.

(Almost) Every fighter says they want to win the belt to prove they are the best, so it is for a sense of pride and achievement/accomplishment. However, people wouldn't be fighting on the stage (regularly) like that if they weren't being paid. No one would make fighting their career if it involved no money.

Having the belt is a way of showing who the best in each division (in an org) is. The belt is something to aim for. Can you imagine if there were no belts and everyone just fought for the money? People would purposefully stir up controversy just to generate more interest and be paid like Champs. KIMBO SLICE would be one of the people making the most money just because people tune in to watch him fight (win or lose). Dada 5000 would be making more money than someone who is truly a great MMArtist just because people want to watch him win or get beat due to his popularity from street fighting. I would not be a fan of such a circus, and that's exactly what The UFC is becoming more and more of these days. People still get paid more money when they fight on Main Cards or Main Events, but obviously not as much as the Champion.

Last edited:
Back