It's amazing to think how far mass views on martial arts has changed since the 80's

Which is why I always have to laugh when people think that MMA fighters are these invincible fighting gods on the street.

Groin shots, biting, eye-gouging, fish-hooking, guns, and knives > MMA

Right on, except they can implement these as well + whoop ass professionally using the remainder of the techniques :), while an average dude won't throw a punch properly.

There does seem to be a lot of ridiculousness that has gone away. But some of it is still there with the krav maga stuff.

That’s just their marketing.

Krav Maga has stolen countless techniques from MMA related disciplines.

Imagine going back in time on some forum in the 80s on martial arts, trying to explain how daniel cormier's fighting technique is one of the best. Imagine how many times you would be inundated with claims that "I would just bite him if he tried to rear naked choke me". Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try. Or dealing with a 200 lb 5'7 guy who wants to argue that his chi would obliterate anyone.

Biting has been a foul in the UFC since day one.

Bad example? Or 10/10 troll post?

<{hughesimpress}> / <mma4>

BBSs (Bulletin Board Systems), baby!
Fair, but they weren't "forums" like today, I doubt most of the MA community had access to the internet back then

But a lot of charlatans floated around, that's for sure. There's still some today, but fewer than ever as people can see effective techniques on TV and not imaginary roll-around bullshit

There were forums in the 80s???

Maaaaaaaaybe a newsletter...but probably not.

I just saw what the guy you answered to wrote. Most infuriating, LOL! :) "You kids born with smartphones and tablets on your laps, learn your history and get off my lawn!" :)

Biting has been a foul in the UFC since day one.

Bad example? Or 10/10 troll post?

<{hughesimpress}> / <mma4>
I think you missed the point entirely. This isn't about UFC rules and there was no UFC in the 80s, just a lot of misconceptions about martial arts, as TS mentioned.

Early on it was a kill or be killed atmosphere. Now its more a sport setting with point fighting.

I just saw what the guy you answered to wrote. Most infuriating, LOL! :) "You kids born with smartphones and tablets on your laps, learn your history and get off my lawn!" :)
We're ancient relic even here man. Forums have mostly died to the Reddit/4Chan/Twitter-type crowd. :(

Fair, but they weren't "forums" like today, I doubt most of the MA community had access to the internet back then

But a lot of charlatans floated around, that's for sure. There's still some today, but fewer than ever as people can see effective techniques on TV and not imaginary roll-around bullshit

Right on!

Early on it was a kill or be killed atmosphere. Now its more a sport setting with point fighting.
In the earliest days, there were complete frauds who participated. Guys who didn't know a left hook from a right cross but decided they had magic powers and "secret moves"

Royce choked em out fast and that's been their fate ever since

In the earliest days, there were complete frauds who participated. Guys who didn't know a left hook from a right cross but decided they had magic powers and "secret moves"

Royce choked em out fast and that's been their fate ever since
Id rather watch those "complete frauds" then manufactured WME/UFC stars.

This is why I love MMA, well one of the reasons anyway. It put all the urban legends about the mystical wonders of traditional martial arts to bed once and for all, especially all the kung fu and aikido nonsense.

For the last 15 years I’ve been making fun a karate and it’s uselessness. I started doubting myself after watching karate combat... now I’m really starting to doubt myself after taking my MMA kid to a karate tournament and seeing him lose.... the fights I saw at this tournament were incredible. Nothing like karate used to be. I think it has come full circle. I now have much respect for karate. When compared to some butt scoot tournaments we go to bjj May be the new point sparring of combat sports.

My son losing to a karate kid (should have been easy):

This is why I love MMA, well one of the reasons anyway. It put all the urban legends about the mystical wonders of traditional martial arts to bed once and for all, especially all the kung fu and aikido nonsense.

Back