It's amazing to think how far mass views on martial arts has changed since the 80's

UFCBlackbelt

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Imagine going back in time on some forum in the 80s on martial arts, trying to explain how daniel cormier's fighting technique is one of the best. Imagine how many times you would be inundated with claims that "I would just bite him if he tried to rear naked choke me". Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try. Or dealing with a 200 lb 5'7 guy who wants to argue that his chi would obliterate anyone.

Conor starches all of the bums anyway.

OG concurrent 2 Division Champ Bless

So pathetic.

To respond to OP, what do you mean Frank Dux didn't have a 75 mph kick in the kumite finals????

There does seem to be a lot of ridiculousness that has gone away. But some of it is still there with the krav maga stuff.

The only constant is Master Seagull.

He transcends time.

(Since biting is not allowed in the octagon, as well as other "techniques" that work VERY well, not sure what that point is.)

My OP still stands. He lost to Nate, and defeated him in a rematch.

you also immediately changed your icon from Conor and went AWOL for several months until he AFTER he beat nate in the rematch.

you also immediately changed your icon from Conor and went AWOL for several months until he AFTER he beat nate in the rematch.
Negative ghost rider. On both accounts. Check the full post history.

Speaking of, your join date wasn't even around then.

Surely, you didn't swerve Sherdog's TOS and create a second account? That's an IP bannable offense.

There does seem to be a lot of ridiculousness that has gone away. But some of it is still there with the krav maga stuff.

I'm far from knowledgeable on the topic, but if Bas says something works, it may very well work in a pinch; as far as I remember, he recommends some of the stuff on his self-defense DVD. (Just don't try to disarm someone too often :). )

And don't mention Bruce Lee either, TS, because you may have a 50-page thread again on your hands :). Another "time traveler", like the aforementioned Master.

It may very well have been that every little Asian guy was more feared back then ("What if he knows karate?"). Not that many Asians here in Europe, so I can't say for sure.

Imagine going back in time on some forum in the 80s on martial arts, trying to explain how daniel cormier's fighting technique is one of the best. Imagine how many times you would be inundated with claims that "I would just bite him if he tried to rear naked choke me". Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try. Or dealing with a 200 lb 5'7 guy who wants to argue that his chi would obliterate anyone.

Biting would be a legitimate strategy in a real fight.

Negative ghost rider. On both accounts. Check the full post history.

Speaking of, your join date wasn't even around then.

Surely, you didn't swerve Sherdog's TOS and create a second account? That's an IP bannable offense.

If you're going to cry Rules Foul, you should also be following the rules.

[*]Thread Hijacking: taking a thread off-topic to pursue one's own agenda.

The only downside being that you may catch some disease. I wouldn't bite Alexander Emelianenko, for instance, but then, I may already be long gone by the time that crossed my mind :).

If you're going to cry Rules Foul, you should also be following the rules.

[*]Thread Hijacking: taking a thread off-topic to pursue one's own agenda.
Where is the hijacking?

Imagine back in the 80s there being a sport, so followed and revered a two-division champion from Ireland aspires to learn MMA from watching Chuck Liddell among the other OGs to claim his stake as the first 2-division concurrent champion.

Imagine no Irish MMA fighters... Imagine if you can. Imagine a man bringing his country to the spotlight.

A brotherhood of man. Imagine all the people...

Where is the hijacking?

Imagine back in the 80s there being a sport, so followed and revered a two-division champion from Ireland aspires to learn MMA from watching Chuck Liddell among the other OGs to claim his stake as the first 2-division concurrent champion.

Imagine no Irish MMA fighters... Imagine if you can. Imagine a man bringing his country to the spotlight.

A brotherhood of man. Imagine all the people...

Imagine a post not about Conman, I wonder if you can.

Which is why I always have to laugh when people think that MMA fighters are these invincible fighting gods on the street.

Groin shots, biting, eye-gouging, fish-hooking, guns, and knives > MMA

Imagine a post not about Conman, I wonder if you can.
Checking my thread history, clearly it isn't possible. Feel free to bump all of them I've made in the last year to prove your point.

Get back at me, and stop hijacking the TS.

And don't mention Bruce Lee either, TS, because you may have a 50-page thread again on your hands :). Another "time traveler", like the aforementioned Master.

It may very well have been that every little Asian guy was more feared back then ("What if he knows karate?"). Not that many Asians here in Europe, so I can't say for sure.

The thing about Bruce Lee though, is he was a very practical, highly intense guy...try actually reading some of the stuff he wrote and his interviews...he trained all the martial arts...boxing, kickboxing and judo/grappling...but remember, his goal was real fighting, not fighting in a cage, with tons of rules...

The thing about Bruce Lee though, is he was a very practical, highly intense guy...try actually reading some of the stuff he wrote and his interviews...he trained all the martial arts...boxing, kickboxing and judo/grappling...but remember, his goal was real fighting, not fighting in a cage, with tons of rules...

Agreed, he was indeed a visionary! But like any polarizing person...he can generate long ass threads :), like we've seen before, again and again.

Back