It's amazing how a season of TUF can completely change a fighter's popularity

Rhood

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
And I'm talking the Coaches, NOT the fighters.

Not many people liked Volkanovski before his season of TUF aired.
After it aired, people jumped on his bandwagon as if he was the 2nd coming of Khabib.

Everyone loved Ortega before his season of TUF aired.
Now people despise him and somehow believe he isn't championship material.

After reading several recent threads about Ortega & Volk on sherdog, I really don't get it
I didn't watch this season of TUF and I stay away from media pressers and Instagram tween posts.
I don't judge fighters based on media presence.

It's interesting how someone's media presence can sway fans.
Everyone seems to be overlooking their skills.

I mean, it’s to be expected when a fighter’s personality is showcased much more on the show. But I haven’t really seen the dramatic change in opinion with those fighters you’re purporting. I don’t think most people even watched TUF this season.

I only watched TUF to see how Ortega n Volk would interact with each other skipped the fighters story's and fights
Weak season

TUF was the first nail in the coffin of Ronda’s career
holly was the first nail.....

more people disliked her personality after tuf but it didn't really negatively affect her popularity or her opportunities from what i recall. (i didn't watch that season)

ortega always was hated by most people.

After it aired, people jumped on his bandwagon as if he was the 2nd coming of Khabib.

After reading several recent threads about Ortega & Volk on sherdog, I really don't get it
I didn't watch this season of TUF and I stay away from media pressers and Instagram tween posts.

It's a HUGE part of MMA and (and literally all sports) to like/root for someone you like as a person and against someone you dislike personally. Ortega, from what (albeit little) I've seen of him in interviews and on social media rubs me the wrong way, every time. So I get how giving a guy like that a ton of exposure would only amplify a lot of people's already negative/mixed feelings about him, his attitude, and how he carries/presents himself. Volk, on the other hand, was somewhat of a quiet champ whose charisma got a chance to shine through with the additional exposure. Is normal.

That being said, I agree: you're an idiot if you let those kind of feelings change how you perceive a fighter's in-cage abilities.

One TUF ex Coach said he felt singled out by the way they cut clips. Some personalities just don't look good on camera.

I haven't watched TUF since around season 5 or 6.

That said, I hope Ortega chokes Volk out cold.

There are very few fighters that I actively dislike for their antics. What bothers me most is fighters that cheat in competition, what they do outside the cage doesn't really matter. Cormier for example has been on my shit list for a long time. McGregor for all the cheating he did in his fights with Khabib and Poirier is up there as well.

Before watching Tuf, I was with Volk, my thoughts were Brian is a cheater, after watching TUF (specifically the coaches challenge) now I'm rooting for Brian! War T City! I love that Mitch also warmed up to him.

Much confused

Am I a casual for not watching TUF ?

Or is it only the casuals that are swayed by the "media" stuffs which is really all TUF has to add to the coaches?

Both guys are fucking killers.

Ortega has earned the shot in my opinion... 15-1 is no joke.

Let them bleed tomorrow

I haven't watched TUF since around season 5 or 6.

That said, I hope Ortega chokes Volk out cold.

There are very few fighters that I actively dislike for their antics. What bothers me most is fighters that cheat in competition, what they do outside the cage doesn't really matter. Cormier for example has been on my shit list for a long time. McGregor for all the cheating he did in his fights with Khabib and Poirier is up there as well.

I will agree with you mostly, but you've indicated that you don't like cheaters, and yet you are rooting for Ortega here, and he's got a doping violation. Do you dislike Volk that much?

Back