It's a wrap folks. No MLB and no NFL this year.

hm, I think MLB goes on.
CFB and NFL are in doubt though IMO.
too many opt outs, plus NFL players are
greedy, union-driven assholes.
none of them play 'for the love of the game'.
yea, a bit naive but there it is.
meanwhile, hockey yoffs roll on.
fine with me.

What's the average lifespan of an NFL career, like 1.5 years? Hard to imagine anyone but the superstars being willing to give up a full year of their career and the league/owners probably know that

I just had to pull all my tickets off Stub Hub so I hope the season does get cancelled
If I cant make any money then I hope you all suffer by not getting to watch your bullshit grab ass little game
Its only fair

If pro athletes can make agreements to go on then so be it. Feel pretty bad for college athletes though. They get to risk their health even more now and still don’t get paid.

hm, still haven't found a single college FB player who has died from covid.
it's the flu. if you have pre-existing conditions, you're likely not a college athlete.
if you're an assistant coach, equipment mgr, etc with the same, that's different.
also read that NCAA made over $1 billion last year from FB.
not expecting a massive shutdown tbh.

It would probably be for the best if it did.

But the Braves just signed Puig. It would have been an all-time lineup.
1. Acuna Jr.
2. Albies
3. Swanson
4. Puig
5. Freeman
6. Ozuna

If they get two more good closers. Just give them their rings now.
Their rotation is way too shaky for them to win IMO especially with Soraka done for the year.

Also lol @ acquiring two more good closers, that isn't how that works.

If pro athletes can make agreements to go on then so be it. Feel pretty bad for college athletes though. They get to risk their health even more now and still don’t get paid.
but but free education and all that bullshit. lol. I expect more top prospects to opt out tbh.

How does the politics affect your enjoyment?

When the game starts, it starts...........there is no "politics break".

Why are you personally affected by something that doesn't affect the actual game???

It's just a reminder of what's going on, less of an escape. I always looked at sports like it's theater. I enjoy going to plays but would find it less enjoyable if the actors put a message on their backs.

I hear the ratings are disappointing but I bet the fans come back as they get more comfortable with the format.

It's just a reminder of what's going on, less of an escape. I always looked at sports like it's theater. I enjoy going to plays but would find it less enjoyable if the actors put a message on their backs.

I hear the ratings are disappointing but I bet the fans come back as they get more comfortable with the format.

Less of an escape?

......so you come to Sherdog to "escape" then?

You are really trading up.

LOL

How on earth can the MLB and NFL go forward???

The NBA has worked thus far because they are in a bubble.

The MLB and NFL CANNOT operate unless they are bubbled, but that's not gonna happen.

So................there you have it.

Sports fans, appreciate the NBA while it lasts. It may be the only sport to actually take place this year.

MLB commissioner threatens to cancel baseball season: Report

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/mlb-commissioner-threatens-to-cancel-baseball-season-report

Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred has threatened to shut down the season if the league doesn’t do a better job of managing coronavirus, ESPN reported Friday.

This comes after 18 Miami Marlins players tested positive for coronavirus earlier this week. The Miami Herald reported Friday that the team is putting the infected players on buses that will take them from Philadelphia, where they have been quarantining, back to Miami.

The St. Louis Cardinals announced Friday that two players tested positive for coronavirus in testing that was done before their Wednesday game against the Minneapolis Twins.

Meanwhile, the Philadelphia Phillies announced Thursday that two staff members tested positive for coronavirus after a Sunday game against the Marlins.

Several teams have had games postponed due to the outbreak among the ballplayers. The MLB did not immediately respond to a request for comment Friday.

ESPN reports that players are afraid the season could be called off as soon as Monday if there is an increase in confirmed cases or more obvious lapses in social distancing.

MORE MARLINS TEST POSITIVE FOR CORONAVIRUS

Despite some criticism that players haven't been taking social distancing protocols seriously on and off the field, Miami Marlins CEO Derek Jeter said that the Marlins are taking the pandemic very seriously and will be adding more preventative measures for the rest of the season.

“We continue to take this entire situation very seriously. All of our players, coaches and staff are, understandably, having a difficult time enduring this experience,” Jeter said in a statement. “We have moved to a daily testing schedule while we isolate and quarantine appropriately, along with enacting additional preventive procedures with our traveling party.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NFL cancels preseason games ahead of 2020 season, commissioner says

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/27/us/nfl-preseason-games-coronavirus-spt-trnd/index.html

(CNN)There will be no preseason games for the National Football League this year, according to an open letter published Monday by Commissioner Roger Goodell.

The mandate comes as every aspect of sporting world has been affected by coronavirus. Earlier this year, the NFL had to hold its draft virtually to avoid the spread of the virus. The season is set to begin in September.
"The NFL in 2020 will not look like other years," Goodell wrote. "Players and coaches will be tested for the virus regularly, including every day for a while. Preseason games have been canceled."
Goodell wrote that late summer and early fall are usually "the most optimistic time of year for our fans, and for all 32 teams."
Your thread title is misleading because no such announcement has been made. They could both operate on an abbreviated season in a bubble (if they chose to do so).

Your thread title is misleading because no such announcement has been made. They could both operate on an abbreviated season in a bubble (if they chose to do so).

66 players have opted out so far.

Also, it is an opinion piece.

It's not an "opinion piece". It is a dumb fucking post by a nerd on a kung fu forum.

Fuck off.

I posted it in The War Room and marked it as "OPINION". It had a colored OPINION marker at the beginning of the title.

Don't blame me for the thread being moved here. Blame the mods.

Fuck off.

I posted it in The War Room and marked it as "OPINION". It had a colored OPINION marker at the beginning of the title.

Don't blame me for the thread being moved here. Blame the mods.
Whoa whoa whoa... I didn't know that there was a colored OPINION marker involved previously. I only blame the mods for not just deleting this dumb shit.

Whoa whoa whoa... I didn't know that there was a colored OPINION marker involved previously. I only blame the mods for not just deleting this dumb shit.

The mods caused this to move here...otherwise you would never have seen it Mr. Cry Baby.

teh bang is a well known WR troll.
posts mega walls of bombastic text.
pfft, forgettable IMO

Disappointing could be expected, given the format. However, the drop off seems to be directly linked to the politics they're pushing. It's getting insufferable. You can't seem watch anything other than old reruns of sitcoms, without being lectured. People are getting sick and tired of being guilt tripped over shit they have nothing to do with, and then being told they're wrong for thinking they have nothing to do with it.

Back