1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

ITF TaeKwonDo World Champion kicking some Muay Thai ass

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by spacetime, Jan 13, 2020.

1. spacetime Banned Banned

Old as fuck too:)

2. FierceRedBelt Silver Belt

So here's the thing.

On average TKD isn't a good base for developing a MT or KB skillset; While ITF does allow some punching above the neck it's still weighed down with American KickBoxing-esque rules and light contact dogma that takes most of the effectiveness away.

BUT there will always be outliers who's physical skillset and natural ability take them far above and allow them to produce a-typical results.

3. meauneau Black Belt

The best ITF guy can only beat mediocre MT fighters.

4. spacetime Banned Banned

An Olympic reserve TaeKwonDo guy, who moves like big foot, went to overtime against a Muay Thai Champion....

And that wasn't even ITF...

5. meauneau Black Belt

It's not like he jumped straight from ITF to MT, he had to learn how to box... he had to train for the different rules. He was also much bigger than the Thai fighter.

6. spacetime Banned Banned

He was WTF, not ITF... And I saw very little kickboxing from him..

7. meauneau Black Belt

Doesn't matter. He trained for the different rules. His Taekwondo alone wouldn't have been enough.

8. spacetime Banned Banned

Muay Thai would not have been sufficient to win a TaeKwonDo competion either.

9. meauneau Black Belt

I agree.

But when it comes to a open rules stand up fight involving a pure MT guy vs a pure TKD guy you know who wins most of the time.

10. SandisLL Brown Belt

I hope that you know what pure TKD or Shotokan is….
    This isn't stuff that you see in tournaments, the same is applied for Kyokushin.

And despite b worship low kicks and stories, for example Shotokan does have even at least 5 blocking techniques with a damn …. leg. And low kicks too.
    Or fans are impressed only by sport tournaments about what real Karate is?
    Damn…..

Pure TKD for example open hands techniques interestingly is watchable for example in grandmaster Donato Nardizzi channel.
    Because TKD was not lesser with hands than kicks until modern rules for tournaments.

11. spacetime Banned Banned

I don't know that.

12. Frode Falch Steel Belt Professional Fighter

Spacetimes wet dream.

13. StanClarker Banned Banned

That's what Ramsey Dewey says... TKD, you have to learn how to box. Why then learn karate, what I say?<DCWhoa>

14. StanClarker Banned Banned

You guys love your chit chat....<4>

15. StanClarker Banned Banned

I've only watched videos... soooooooooooooooooooo,,
    Sensei Ando kinda says the same thing. He started in TKD, so he says. My simple(ton) observation is "Let's Bang" has the proclivity to ruin traditional martial arts. Every art, really.
    Martial Arts coach loses his cool and jump kicks the opponent!
    •Mar 25, 2014

[​IMG]
    Steve Balfe
    705 subscribers

KWON Championships 23rd March 2014 The coach of the fighter in black loses his cool and attacks his fighters opponent after the referee

Forget "Kwon" or TKD or whatever this is... The guy in black in particular gets an "F" in boxing.{<RR}<{nope}>

Ya know, people that hard 2 hurt guy and son on said this about Machida, then Thompson... Then were proved WRONG by strong, tough MMA opponents (Good luck Donald very soon).

I only watch a select few MMA matches anymore. But really, all the media outside looking in let's promote UFC xyz card, a considered look at the art yields the anwsers.

In terms of my own Judo, that BJJ toughie smacking around the 'aikido' guy puts the pressure test challenge in the spotlight.

The video comment, the 1st one however, had the proper perspective in that the opponent shouldn't have been a 'girl' (& not that complimentary.<Oku04>

16. Frode Falch Steel Belt Professional Fighter

I would be worried if @StanClarker is older then 18 years.

17. StanClarker Banned Banned

I mean, do these people really know what they are doing?
    Colchester JKA Karate Club
    •Dec 2, 2016

[​IMG]
    JKA England
    505 subscribers

Colchester JKA Karate Club is affiliated to the Japan Karate Association in England (JKA England). It is typical of the high standard of karate taught by qualified instructors with JKA England.

Looking in from the outside, NO.<31>Wouldn't make even the Tuf house cut.

18. StanClarker Banned Banned

I'd be worried if I had boxing footwork that wasn't good like yours. TBT, I'm working on this @ home and I'm really struggling with it.

Judo practice, what we are doing, we don't really formally address footwork. But I'm not saying Judo doesn't have it.

Anyhow, I like all your content... suurry differing viewpoint tipples you over like a judo throw.<Fedor23>

19. StanClarker Banned Banned

AND...................

Will be joining in on Randori soon (Judo's sparring), and unlike that Rokas guy yr all a fanboy of, TBT I'm really not worried.<Goldie11>

20. shincheckin Black Belt

maybe you have not heard of serkan yilmaz. TKD based fighter, but worth mentioning hes not fighting TKD, hes fighting a mix of KB and TKD, much more heavy on the TKD side. I think hybrid styles like this are great but I would prefer leaning more towards MT with TKD still combined.