It was so nice to see Cotto fight like that tonight.

chadzilla

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
He reminded me so much of the young, aggressive, liver eating Miguel Cotto of old tonight. His commitment to the hooks to the body tonight really surprised me. He looked awesome. Him and Freddie Roach will be a great combo IMO.

It was a nice performance. He went through Rodgriguez like paper mache.

Anyone else reminded of the Italian Stallion ring from Rocky III with Cotto's name being all over the mat?

514DWpt1EyL._SY300_.jpg

Cotto already has all the tools. The only thing Roach did for him was turn him back to the steady, yet relentless body pincher he once was. Ever since the Margarito fight, Cotto had become more of a boxer, which he is good at but not as much.

Also, Rodriguez is a tier below Cotto's last few opponents.

Reminded me of Cotto when he fought Judah. Just relentless pressure and vicious body shots.

He looked good:
A right to the body followed by a left hook KO punch.

Great performance against an over matched opponent. Training with Roach will definitely add more years to his boxing career.

As long as they pick the right opponents.

This. I'm a huge fan of Cotto, I think had he followed this plan against Trout he could have pulled it off, but against anyone else with a bit more power, better chin and boxing Cotto would have struggled, he's not pulling this off against Canelo/Martinez. With this approach they ought be very selective of Cotto's potential opponents.

I feel that this type of coaching by Roach will give him the wins to set up another top match-up, but will lose.

I'm happy for Cotto but Rodriguez looked like he showed up for a pay check

This. I'm a huge fan of Cotto, I think had he followed this plan against Trout he could have pulled it off, but against anyone else with a bit more power, better chin and boxing Cotto would have struggled, he's not pulling this off against Canelo/Martinez. With this approach they ought be very selective of Cotto's potential opponents.

I feel that this type of coaching by Roach will give him the wins to set up another top match-up, but will lose.

I agree, I'm not saying this win puts Cotto back on top but Roach definitely is helping him get there.

I agree, I'm not saying this win puts Cotto back on top but Roach definitely is helping him get there.

It's a very smart exit strategy, with other coaches he may not have been able to set up another PPV. If he adopts the Matador Cotto that gives the fans what they want to see he could be on his way out having made a few more million. Had he employed the likes of Pedro Diaz he would have a more sound/technical approach to fights but would have lost close decisions to up and comers (ala Trout) with this new approach he can defeat the likes of Trout/Lara and set up a more rewarding exit fight ala Canelo/Martinez, would most likely lose and then call it a day.

Back