It was great to see Big John as main referee last night.

Disagree. The guy is a poor ref and a loudmouth. Constant BS warnings about things that aren't happening, but "could happen." Acts like he is the main event. Hate to see him in there.

I disagree. He is too worried about making his presence felt rather than letting fights play out more naturally. It's a huge hindrance. He needs to keep his mouth shut unless it's necessary to speak. None of the "WORK, CMON WORK OR I'll STAND IT UP" when there is a 3 second break in between action.

Disagree. The guy is a poor ref and a loudmouth. Constant BS warnings about things that aren't happening, but "could happen." Acts like he is the main event. Hate to see him in there.

This all day. Glad i'm not the only one.

I was also excited to see Big John back in the octagon, I thought he may have retired I know he runs a gym in LA

Dude herb stopped the silva Weidman fight soooo fuckin early, gah.

I agree, I wish he would have let Chris drop a few more bombs on Silva, but it is what it is, and sadly, silva lives to fight another day (dec 28th)

Best in the business..or I'll say one of the best.

His facility is awesome too.

His reffing style is annoying.

Look at how he reffed the very early UFC.

"Come on, let's go!" every 5 seconds. The guys could be in mount and he'd say the same shit.

At the start of the rounds "get the fuck back in the corner" like he's a military general and the fighters are his maggots.

Obviously he can't do that now as there are rules for the refs, but he obviously wants to, and tries to do as much as he can to be part of the show.

I was under the impression he had some beef with the NSAC which was preventing him from being appointed ref in any fights in that state. He has applied to be a ref there but it is NSAC's decision as to whether or not they 'need' him as such and they have stated they don't.

I didn't think he was ever actually retired as such.

He was a good ref and let the war go on. I could totally see some ref jumping in during round 4 and saving Gus when he was purely fighting off heart.

Herb Dean is king, but Big John is a close second.

His reffing style is annoying.

Look at how he reffed the very early UFC.

"Come on, let's go!" every 5 seconds. The guys could be in mount and he'd say the same shit.

At the start of the rounds "get the fuck back in the corner" like he's a military general and the fighters are his maggots.

Obviously he can't do that now as there are rules for the refs, but he obviously wants to, and tries to do as much as he can to be part of the show.

When did he ever say that?

I like Big John's attitude, he tells the fighter's straight like it is.

He was a good ref and let the war go on. I could totally see some ref jumping in during round 4 and saving Gus when he was purely fighting off heart.

Doubt it not in a title fight. Gus was still standing and blocking/avoiding the follow ups best he could which he did very well doing.

Prefer Big John over Herb, he has a no nonsense attitude, so fighters know not to BS

Always respected Big John. It was sad to see him retire, and it was great to see him return... but he wasn't as big of a presence in the Octagon in the last few years.

I recall he made a few questionable stand-ups back when he returned, and some MMA fans were royally pissed at him.

Whatever the politics are of his limited presence in the cage, it was great to see him in there with the big fights last night.
You think? I think he comes off as an attentionwhore and tries to showcase himself to much in the fights. You're not a fighter John, tone yourself down a bit. M

What? lol the fight was closer to being stopped in favor of Gus rather than Jones.

Back