It was great to see Big John as main referee last night.

GearSolidMetal

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Always respected Big John. It was sad to see him retire, and it was great to see him return... but he wasn't as big of a presence in the Octagon in the last few years.

I recall he made a few questionable stand-ups back when he returned, and some MMA fans were royally pissed at him.

Whatever the politics are of his limited presence in the cage, it was great to see him in there with the big fights last night.

He's the most experienced but not the best. Still prefer him over most refs.

It's always nice to see him as the third man. There is something nostalgic about it.

He's the most experienced but not the best. Still prefer him over most refs.

I agree. He's made extremely few mistakes relative to his long career. That said, Herb Dean has made practically no mistakes whatsoever in his whole career.

I agree. He's made extremely few mistakes relative to his long career. That said, Herb Dean has made practically no mistakes whatsoever in his whole career.

Dude herb stopped the silva Weidman fight soooo fuckin early, gah.

Dude herb stopped the silva Weidman fight soooo fuckin early, gah.

If I had a criticism of Herb Dean, it is that he stopped the the Fedor/Henderson fight early.

That first round was the most exciting of that entire year, I hated to see it stop. I wanted to see all three rounds of that awesomeness.

All the calls Herb did that you are calling bad weren't bad at all.

Finally a ref that tells Jones to stop pushing with his hands open into the opponent's face all the time, right after Alex got poked in the eye.

I missed Herb.

Also: big john need to work on his footwork and loose some weight.

fedor hendong stoppage

As I said, I wish Herb had waited another second to see that Fedor recovered from that massive right hand. But Fedor did faceplant. It's a bit hard to argue... but come on its freakin Fedor, Herb!

One I take my emotion out of the equasion, I admit Herb made the right call. Dammit.

he's a great ref but I think I read he is banned from reffing in Nevada or possibly even more states for some bullshit reasons so you won't see him that regularly anymore

Back