Opinion It should be legal to whack anyone's phones away if they're recording you without your consent

I am geniunely baffled by the response here. Recording and having the audacity to talk to you is the same as blatantly recording a woman’s bare legs or skimpy outfit in public. How you should back yourself in court should be the same way the woman back herself up by saying she felt harassed and victimised. An outright ban on uploading it on social media needs to happen.
Legalizing physical violence?!

Oh yes…these hands love this idea!!!
They're not the same thing. Just a little slap marks in their hands if you didn't aim it right, it shouldn’t be considered an assault.
Sure, as long as the city street cameras and the banks fall into the same category..
No security worker is going to freely release a potato quality CCTV footage in social media and walking around doing your own business won’t bring people’s attention.
It is impoasible to tell is someone recording you or maybe he is doing somtehing else. Mobile phone now is used as small computer for multiple purposes...
You randomly doing your own business and disappearing few seconds is not the same as gen Z hipsters offering you free shit while their friends are recording you.

Last edited:
first-amendment-300x260.jpg

If you are in PUBLIC, you have no expectation of privacy. If you want privacy you must make it yourself! Stay home. Freedom of the Press means EVERYTHING you can see in public can be recorded. Every citizen is a citizen journalist because of the 1st Amendment.

If you don't know your rights you don't have them. If you don't use them you don't have them. If you don't like them don't go in public. You and I literally own public spaces. I will record in places that I own.

Annoying c-words have the right to record as well.

Feel free to move if you don't like it.

I believe some states require consent for audio recordings.

Filming in public should be a protected right. Either don't go out into public or don't do anything so stupid in public that you become a meme on the internet.

Laws banning filming people in public would quickly extend to authorities, where they can hide and lie about their conduct the way they did before the smartphone era.

It should be legal to stand your ground and shoot anyone that tries to assault you and smack your phone out of your hand.

i disagree with pretty much most of the posters here on this issue. nobody should legally be able to post your image or video or voice for any reason on any public forum. there should be criminal charges for doing so.

obviously hitting somebody for it is not ok but swiping their phone and breaking it should be totally ok.

i disagree with pretty much most of the posters here on this issue. nobody should legally be able to post your image or video or voice for any reason on any public forum. there should be criminal charges for doing so.

obviously hitting somebody for it is not ok but swiping their phone and breaking it should be totally ok.

Long as damages are paid for the camera

Not if in PUBLIC. They cannot.

Not sure that is true. Don't underestimate state laws in the US of A.

You have a right to capture images in public places, but you don't always have a right to record what people say. Pennsylvania's Wiretap Law makes it illegal to record private conversations - which can include conversations in public places - without the consent of all parties to the conversation. Conversations with police in the course of their duties are not private conversations, but many other things you may record on a public street are.

It should be legal to stand your ground and shoot anyone that tries to assault you and smack your phone out of your hand.

You have a distorted view of stand your ground and are acting out the stereotype shithead american personality. Equating physical assualt with smacking a device out of your hand is a big red flag. I hope you get help before it is too late.

The cops around here are not doing paperwork because you fucked up and filmed the wrong person. I've seen them laugh at much more legitimate complaints

Not sure that is true. Don't underestimate state laws in the US of A.

You have a right to capture images in public places, but you don't always have a right to record what people say. Pennsylvania's Wiretap Law makes it illegal to record private conversations - which can include conversations in public places - without the consent of all parties to the conversation. Conversations with police in the course of their duties are not private conversations, but many other things you may record on a public street are.

1st Amendment. Freedom of press. Wiretapping is not a thing when recording in public.

Educate yourself.

Pennsylvania's Wiretap Law makes it illegal to record private conversations - which can include conversations in public places - without the consent of all parties to the conversation.

You should quote and source if you're going to copy something word for word. In this case https://www.aclupa.org.

We are no longer in the silent film era. Good luck successfully prosecuting someone for recording in public and catching a 'private conversation'. It reminds me of the absurdity of claiming a HIPPA violation for recording outside a COVID test site and picking up audio.

People surveilling and shaming each other, you don't say....

Testament to how broken we really are.

If somebody films you, you need to take the necessary measures.

main-qimg-4896c6b9a2254aa0cf272ad6da7889ca

Bpyq.gif

steven-seagal-into-the-sun.gif

Nah. That would be assault. It sucks that someone can come up and tape you. But with all the technology and cameras everywhere, we are being taped 24/7 when in public basically.

It seems to be a trend (?) for Tik tok assholes to record you without your consent and uploading it on social media. Everyone's worst nightmare! So whacking their phones/cameras away with brute force should be legalized to discourage them from doing it to you and your family members. Thoughts?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-14/tiktok-video-maree-melbourne-flowers/101228418

TLDR; Poor lady was offered free flowers by an asshole to show how "nice" he is and didn't realize his friends were recording them from distance. Then, she discovered it later when it went "viral" on Tik Tok.
The video in question was taken by someone far enough away that the woman didn't immediately notice. So how does letting folks physically assault others stop that?

Half the videos these days are taken from cameras not being held by the video guy

Back