It pains me to say it - Indiana Jones is a mediocre, overrated franchise

You oughta be murdered. There's no place in this world for people like you. The Indiana Jones trilogy is every bit as good as Star Wars and BTTF.

No it is not. You sound gay. Goodbye.

If I would like to watch classic Harrison Ford I prefer the Empire Strikes Back / A New Hope. Come at me bro.

I thought Indiana Jones was supposed to be cheap pulp fiction? It delivers on that as far as i'm concerned.

You oughta be murdered. There's no place in this world for people like you. The Indiana Jones trilogy is every bit as good as Star Wars and BTTF.
oh I would say considerably better. Star Wars has lost its luster a bit over the years as we've seen more and more expansive and exotic worlds pulled off in cinema and BTTF is good but I dunno I feel like this idea that it's a top tier adventure trilogy is tied to the rise of hipsters/irony culture. Indiana Jones, on the other hand, has aged remarkably well, they all (I ignore the very existence of the one with Shia LaBeouf) are extremely well crafted, epic, fun- they're essentially perfect popcorn movies IMO, particularly 1&3.

I thought Indiana Jones was supposed to be cheap pulp fiction? It delivers on that as far as i'm concerned.
I feel like it falls somewhere in between the pulp fiction that inspired it and these genre-elevated-to-high-art films like Tarantino and Leone made. It's squarely action-adventure but the level of imagination and craft are just great.

No it is not. You sound gay. Goodbye.

tenor.gif

oh I would say considerably better. Star Wars has lost its luster a bit over the years as we've seen more and more expansive and exotic worlds pulled off in cinema and BTTF is good but I dunno I feel like this idea that it's a top tier adventure trilogy is tied to the rise of hipsters/irony culture. Indiana Jones, on the other hand, has aged remarkably well, they all (I ignore the very existence of the one with Shia LaBeouf) are extremely well crafted, epic, fun- they're essentially perfect popcorn movies IMO, particularly 1&3.

Agreed, but I ignore the Star Wars prequels and sequels just as I ignore Crystal Skull. To me Indy, Star Wars, and BTTF are all top-shelf trilogies.

Ive tried to get through the first one like 5 times and give up half way through every time. boring and cheesy as fuck.

dont @ me

Last crusade, raiders of the lost Arc, Temple of doom, then crystal skull

Yeah, come at me raider nuthuggers.

Probably a couple of years ago and you basically echo the point I made in that post, why does a film being "serious" make it aimed at adults? there is clearly a lot in Temple children would enjoy but the same goes for the other two films as well. It is definitely a bit more self aware than the other two films playing the 30's serial style influences harder but the Indy/Willie comedy is probably as adult as the series got.

Not just Indy/Willie, but all of the children in the film and the way their characters were projected. Temple was clearly a different style of movie from Raiders.

.....It was Christmas circa '85 and on Christmas Eve Eve I couldn't resist slightly tearing the corner of a cassette shaped present with my name on it....

IT WAS ONLY INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM FOR MY SPECCY 48K!!!!

I was so excited and loved my parents so much for buying it for me and I can still feel that as if it were yesterday.

Because of that, Temple of Doom is great (film and game) even if it isn't.

Not just Indy/Willie, but all of the children in the film and the way their characters were projected. Temple was clearly a different style of movie from Raiders.

I'd agree it was a different kind of movie(actually a good thing IMHO rather than just copying Raiders) but not that it was somehow a big shift to aiming at children rather than adults.

I'd agree it was a different kind of movie(actually a good thing IMHO rather than just copying Raiders) but not that it was somehow a big shift to aiming at children rather than adults.
I just can't agree with that. Large sects of the film almost felt like a Goosebumps production to me.

Raiders 10
Temple of Doom 8
Last Crusade 8.5
Crystal -3

can't believe people are leaving out the National Lampoons Vacation Trilogy smh

Honestly, the only things I can remember about the films are
giphy.gif

and
200.gif

I just can't agree with that. Large sects of the film almost felt like a Goosebumps production to me.

I think the film is a bit more self aware that the original, it draws attention to the kinds of influences it has more and goes a bit more larger than life plus has more comedy to it. I wouldn't characterise that as being especially "child friendly", its actually more graphic at points and a lot of the human is reasonably adult if not exactly high brow.

The most obvious comparison to me would be Ghostbusters.

Raiders is damn near perfect because Lucas, Spielberg, and Kasdan obsessed over the script for years. The sequels were just put together by Lucas and some lesser writers and it shows. Still a really good franchise but not on the level of the LOTR, SW:OT, or MCU.

Back