It pains me to say it - Indiana Jones is a mediocre, overrated franchise

Shut your commie whore mouth...Raiders, Temple, and Last Crusade are great movies...

The first 3 were excellent. There second one was the weakest of the 3 but still a fun, good movie

TS needs to make less threads. Raiders and Crusade are fucking film treasures. GTFO.

Naah. Raiders and Last Crusade are both classics. I agree though that Temple of Doom and Crystal Skull are both garbage. Those two were basically kids' movies. I don't know why they did that seesaw between quality mature films and shit kids movies.

Huh? Temple is the least kid friendly of the franchise. A dude gets his heart ripped out.

Naah. Raiders and Last Crusade are both classics. I agree though that Temple of Doom and Crystal Skull are both garbage. Those two were basically kids' movies. I don't know why they did that seesaw between quality mature films and shit kids movies.

Crystal Skull is pretty terrible(parts of the opening half aren't bad IMHO) but I don't really see why that or Temple would be considered more "kids films", honestly if anything I think the obsession with action blockbusters having to be ultra serious is actually the more childish mindset to me.

I'v always loved Raiders but with age I'v found myself enjoying Temple more and Crusade less, the latter for me becomes a bit too formulaic with some of the would be serious sections like the knight seeming a little cheesy and the jokes a bit bland. Temple I think is a mix of serious moments and a rather more playful style, a lot of the film is basically a sex comedy and Kate Crapshaw actually plays that really well for me having great chemist with Ford, bit more edge to it than Last Cursade.

One thing I love about Raiders of the Lost Ark are the sound effects and the music.
That's the #1 thing that separates the first one from the rest.
Every time Indiana was in a different country, the music changed several times. The orchestra wasn't repetitive in every scene like Star Wars.

Plus, the sound of a whip cracking is one of the greatest inventions of cinema.
Most older films couldn't get that sound right. It never sounded crisp like that before.
I saved that sound effect into my phone messenger because I love hearing it all day.

Temple of Doom was so underrated. When I was a kid, McDonalds sold the VHS tapes as part of the happy meal. My grandmother bought it for me when I was like 7.

I actually think a lot of the classic Indy formula in the first two films is the horror elements, it gets mentioned more in Temple but I actually think a lot of why Raiders works is the sense of menace and mystery around the Ark.

Temple of Doom was so underrated. When I was a kid, McDonalds sold the VHS tapes as part of the happy meal. My grandmother bought it for me when I was like 7.
Lucky!

I can totally get on board with anyone who says it’s the weakest of the three, but people calling it garbage are just being silly IMO. It’s still a fantastic action movie and I think while it lacks a lot of the epic nature of 1 & 3 with all of the locations, I love the creepy crawly aspect of this horror essentially hidden in the walls. It captures a lot of the same creepiness of the People Under the Stairs but at a much higher level.

Shia was the best part of Crystal Skull

Having said that, had Crystal Skull never been made then it would have been top three consistent and excellent trilogy of all time.

With one legit good movie, out of 4.

Change my mind.

Thats the same ratio of good movies to bad as The Matrix series if the Wachowski's queefed out another pitiful sequel after Revolutions.

As it stands Indiana Jones is batting 25% and the Matrix is 33%.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is a legit good movie. I

Temple of Doom is onee of the most disgusting headache and naseua inducing movies ever made

Last Crusade is cure for insomnia

Crystal Skull might be the worst big budget movie ever made
who hurt you?

Huh? Temple is the least kid friendly of the franchise. A dude gets his heart ripped out.
It's all PG-13 nonsense in Temple. It's certainly no worse than a guy melting or a guy's head exploding. But, the violence isn't even what I was referring to. I was referring to the overall presentation. Raiders and Crusade have more mature humor and overall appeal to a higher intellect than Temple and Crystal Skull.
Crystal Skull is pretty terrible(parts of the opening half aren't bad IMHO) but I don't really see why that or Temple would be considered more "kids films", honestly if anything I think the obsession with action blockbusters having to be ultra serious is actually the more childish mindset to me.

I'v always loved Raiders but with age I'v found myself enjoying Temple more and Crusade less, the latter for me becomes a bit too formulaic with some of the would be serious sections like the knight seeming a little cheesy and the jokes a bit bland. Temple I think is a mix of serious moments and a rather more playful style, a lot of the film is basically a sex comedy and Kate Crapshaw actually plays that really well for me having great chemist with Ford, bit more edge to it than Last Cursade.
When was the last time you watched Temple? It definitely presents like a kids movie. It might as well have been made by Disney. It doesn't take itself nearly as seriously as Raiders.

Not in the same league as BTTF or Star Wars OT, imo, but still 3 good films.

You oughta be murdered. There's no place in this world for people like you. The Indiana Jones trilogy is every bit as good as Star Wars and BTTF.

I'm gonna have to watch them again. Aside from the last one, I'm not sure I've watched many of them from beginning to end.

They were movies that were on in the background often enough that I get most references but I dont have a clear idea of which scenes belong to which movies in the series.

Indiana Jones was always 7 at best. It's fun really.
The Temple of Doom is the best... enormous entertainment.

When was the last time you watched Temple? It definitely presents like a kids movie. It might as well have been made by Disney. It doesn't take itself nearly as seriously as Raiders.

Probably a couple of years ago and you basically echo the point I made in that post, why does a film being "serious" make it aimed at adults? there is clearly a lot in Temple children would enjoy but the same goes for the other two films as well. It is definitely a bit more self aware than the other two films playing the 30's serial style influences harder but the Indy/Willie comedy is probably as adult as the series got.

Back