It Never Always Gets Worse!!

Pro Killer

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Yeah so maybe I should introduce myself:
I'm 25 years old 2-0 in Amatuer MMA
Fight at 66KG and I'm 5'9 (being generous)
Work a fuck boring job and all I live for basically are sports and family and friends.
Thought I'd have a go at a log but after my quite successful one 5 years ago I haven't really had time since and have made two poor attempts since then.
So I'll give this log a go but don't get all mad and stuff when I fail after a couple of pages because I don't really have the time to keep it as whenever I write stuff I tend to over analyse and ramble on (as I'm doing now). I atleast promise I will try And post all my strength and conditioning style sessions which I do in the morning before work as they are easy to log. It's the MMA style training that I tend to over analyse etc... So if I start doing that I'll stop including them or if I don't have a lot of time I'll stop including them.

Currently I train my S&C every morning for 1 hour from 6-7am.
Then I get ready for work
Work 9-5
Then train in the evenings 6-9.
I do that every week day and then on the weekends I train more S&C Sat morning and do Gi JJ on a Sunday morning.

Below is my first logged session: Following 5/3/1

12/5/14

Squats
5x20
5x20
5x40
5x50
5x62.5
8x70

10x42.5
10x42.5
10x42.5
10x42.5
10x42.5

Last edited:
12/5/14 PM Training

MMA

Tonight we focused on taking the back from turtle guard, important keys to Remember when on top are to stay off your knees as it allows the opponent to grab a single leg if you post your kneeee to close to them, and also to block their arm of the side your moving to when spinning around their front if your transitioning to the other side.
Also don't have your far arm too deep underneath their body if that's how your choosing to control them as they can just hook you at the elbow, roll and end up in top side control.

Some things to look for on the bottom are try and scoot your weight back when they are sprawled on you as they will try and follow and this could cause them to come off their feet and onto their knees, from here you can attack a single or double leg takedown.
Also important to keep tight and to not let them get their hooks in.
I PERSONALLY Like to do a sit/peak out from the bottom position and find a lot of success with it but we didn't actually drill that tonight so won't really go over it.

A thing that we do different and it's probably the catch wrestling influence, to a lot of places is most guys I see at MMA shows will have a guy in turtle and really try and get their seatbelt and hooks in when the guy is all tight and it's really difficult, Something we worked tonight was blocking his near side knee with your same knee, then underhooking his far shoulder with your far hand, and actually pulling them into your back mount instead of your climbing on them and establishing hooks.

From backmount we then did the short choke and also when the guy escapes by getting the following 3 things to the mat in this order:
(1. his head
2. Shoulders
3. his back on the mat)
Then you come up on top to mount by making sure you win the battle of the hips.
From there we finished with a bog standard armbar from S Mount.
Important to note that instead of spinning wildy from mount to get the armbar, Use S Mount, STAY HEAVY on the opponent and edge your leg over his face.

ALSO IMPORTANT WHEN ESCAPING BACK CONTROL
As outlined above by the 3 step escape, ALWAYS try and escape by going to the non choking/non overhooking (seatbelt control) arm as if you go to the choking arm side your just going to make the choke tighter!

Last edited:
13/5/14
When my alarm went off this morning at 5:59AM for the AM LSD session I hit the turn off button and left it until the 6:59AM one came for me to get in the shower.
In other words I pussied out for an extra hours sleep.
Been slacking abit since the fight with regards to training and diet!

13/5/14 PM Training Muay Thai

After the warmups started with a 3 min round of working the left leg, Knees and Roundkicks then a round of right knees and right Roundkicks. The speed of the rounds was dependant on how hard your pad holder wanted to push you. As I was working with another fighter from our gym the pace was quite high but not full out considering we are easing back into training 2 weeks since fighting.

The whole class today was geared around firing back mid-combo or right after a combo instead of going 1for1 time fighting I.e you go I go, Which is common in amatuer level fighting.
First few rounds were partner throws a set punch combo at you and then you'd return with your own punch combo after defending.
Then we worked throwing a low kick off an opponent's Jab. You can parry the jab, move your head off centre or block the jab any of the above, Although whichever you choose you must fire a low kick back simultaneously.
After that we worked an identical round but with a 1-2 instead of the Jab, so you had to adjust slightly for the right hand coming too.

Finished the class with a few rounds of technical sparring with an emphasis on low kicks!

14-5-14 AM Training

Bench Press

5x20
5x20
5x32.5
5x37.5
12x42.5

5x25
5x25
5x25
5x25
5x25

14-5-14 PM Training

MMA

Today we focused on Striking because we are known in our fights as a Wrestling gym, with good wrestling. In particular today we focused on hand speed and not just throwing one shot/ IE throwing combinations and staying in the pocket after landing combinations, not doing the hardwork getting inside and then backing out again. The only time I should really be throwing single shots is when I do want to back out of range!
Worked a few rounds of combinations to the focus mitts with an emphasis on speed on the left hand and then a strong right hand to finish.
But ALWAYS should focus on speed when working the mitts, power comes with speed and those who try and punch hard and tense up, end up the ping weak shots and getting tired.
THIS IS PERSONAL WEAKNESS OF MINE AND EVEN THOUGH I KNOW IM DOING IT AND CONSCIOUSLY TRY AND AVOID IT, EVERYTIME I GO TO PUNCH MY SHOULDERS TIGHTEN.
This is also the reason that my left round kick is better than my right when thrown to the body and head. I try and muscle the the round kick whereas I just let the left one go and it sort of whips!
Anyway the combos we threw were:
Left Jab Hook Straight Right
Left jab Uppercut Straight Right Hand
Left Jab, Hook Uppercut Straight Right
Left Uppercut Hook Jab Straight Right
Left Jab, Hook Straight Right Right Uppercut
ALL with focus on speed.

Then in the second hour we did SPARRING.
Now at our gym we only really spar hard twice a week. Wednesday nights are MMA and the intensity/round time/number of rounds changes depending how close an approaching fight is. The other is Friday nights but that's stand-Up only.

So tonight was broken down into 4x4min rounds, First two were with big gloves on and basically Thai rounds (no elbows) then last two were smaller gloves and full MMA.

1st round was with a good stand-up guy who's arkward with flashy kicks and just has an all round arkward style!! Did better than I usually did with him, Don't really have and notes on it except need to work on pressing more when I'm with him and not have a delay as I usually get picked off coming in after waiting for him to throw his kick.

Second round with different opponent I had more success with staying in the pocket, keeping my eyes focused and was able to land some good counter shots.

MMA round 1: Got a double leg type takedown after clasping hands together against cage, opponent got back up shortly after. He then took me down with a double. Held closed guard quite well and then I believe after he passed to half, I must've come up on a single from there and reversed as I spent the largest portion of that round on top between guard and half guard. I did land some good ground and pound punched by picking my shots, instead of going berserker mode volume-wise as I usually do with no real though. THIS IS SOMETHING IM TRYING TO WORK ON.

Second round MMA:
Was with un-orthodox guy from round one.p kickboxing. Did shit on the feet as usual, Shot a fucking awful setup takedown and he got the underhook and used it to reverse me and end up on top. He passed easily and stayed in side control for a large part of the round! I got half and scrambled to my feet but we clinched and he took me down again with a trip, didn't think he was going to get it so tried to reverse it by shifting my hips, but over compensated and ended up with too much momentum and on bottom. He passed again, Mounted me, Took back but most of the time was side control he stayed in.

15-5-14 AM
Again decided to skip the AM cardio this morning in favour of an extra hour in bed! Could say something like it was for extra rest after the first sparring session back post fight but excuses aren't good for anything!

15-5-14 PMTraining
Muay Thai
Focused on leg kicks and checking today really.
Started with a round of working each kick to Thai pads over partners leg, on the lead leg kick round worked inside and attacking opponents rear leg.
Whereas rear kick round was obviously just to the partners lead leg!
After that we worked the basic three checks for leg kicks, The standard lead leg one, the cross lead leg block to block inside leg kicks or when partner attacks rear leg and the rear leg check.

Finally we worked a drill, Partner throws rear roundkick, you check it and then throw a lead body kick. So the idea is your lead leg comes up and checks the kick, then returns to the ground, rebounds off the floor and whips back up for a left body kick!

Personally I injured my left foot in Tursday's class sparring with the instructor! My shin guards are a little small so they don't protect the foot as much as I'd like , So I caught my laces area on his knee! I actually re-injured it during the leg kicks drill so it wasn't really a good class for me.
Just finished the class and skipped Jitz which I had planned to anyway as like Ive said, First full week back training since fight last month.

Now I'm sitting waiting for my stuffed crust pizza and chocolate ice cream to be delivered whilst some mugs at the gym are stuck doing Jiu Jitz for another 45 mins

I WIN!

16-5-14 AM Training

Military Press

5x20
5x20
5x22.5
5x27.50
14x30

10x20
10x20
10x20
10x20
10x20

16-5-14 PM Training

Did some LSD training on the exercise bike in the garage. My HR monitor broke due to water penetrating it whilst swimming on holiday so now I just got off feel.
Did about 50mins in the aerobic adaptation zone.

17-5-14 AM Training

Gi BJJ

1. Armbar from mount.
Attack arm on top,protecting the neck.
Slide Knee up, Then other foot in S Mount. Base on hand same side as knee slide!
Keep hand on the shoulder, when spinning to stop them coming up!

2. Americana after opponent defends the Armbar! Same set-up as Armbar, then when they defend, Get Americana! With arm that wasn't controlling arm for Armbar, Grab opponents defending arm wrist, Then Americana grip by putting other hand over opponents and grabbing own wrist! Important to keep your slide up 'S Mount' foot tight to body to stop them moving their elbow away making Americana less effective!

3. Scissor Sweep- Armbar!
Scissor sweep need to control collar and sleeve same side when doing the sweep!

4. Scissor Sweep Fail- Armbar!*
Kick knew shield leg straight and then climb it up opponents back to breakdown their posture! This will also get your hips in the correct position for the Armbar! Then bring your other leg over *their head to complete it! DONT CROSS FEET! Hips and thumb up!
LEG KICKED STRAIGHT IS VERY IMPORTANT THIS CLIMBS HIGH ON THE OPPONENT FOR THE ARMBAR!

4. Opponent defends Armbar- Omopolata:
Opponent pulls arm out, leaving other one behind!
Raise your hips and move their other arm to position across your thigh!*
1. Triangle your legs, Bring your leg underneath the leg they would have to post on to stack escape the Armbar! Raise hips and sit up!
2. Triangle your legs, Bring their arm up across your chest and next to your head: Reverse Armbar by pressing down on their elbow and raising hips!
3. Omopolata- Standars kick off, bring legs to the side and sit up towards opponents far shoulder!
Control at the elbow of arm to stop them escaping!
Grab anywhere, belt, go etc.... To stop partner rolling out!

18-5-14 AM Training

Gi BJJ

Today we focused on side control.

First thing covered were the fundamentals on the bottom ie blocking the cross face!
Want your arms controlling the inside space but also don't want your elbows coming away from your body. One arm in their throat and the other controlling their Bicep.
Stop them from getting the Crossface but don't follow the Bicep everywhere eg don't follow it to the extent of causing your elbow to leave your body.
Then have your near knee checking their hip to stop them mounted, can rest that foot on your own knee for extra support but don't have to, both have their advantages. With knee = more support and without allows you to react quicker.

Then we did ome escape where you bridge into them and use your arm in the throat to create space and then BRING YOUR Knee TO YOUR Elbow - This is important. Then shrimp out and regain guard,
The Inside knee coming to the near side elbow is important to form a frame so even if you can't regain guard, it stops them from re-flattening you out.

We then drilled a reversal where once they reach over to go double overs side control you leave the Bicep control, allow the arm to pass and then use your hand to push straight under their armpit to use their own momentum to get on top! When pushing them you remove your cross facing arm from their throat and post up on it for more leverage.

Then we drilled two submissions from top side control! They both start the same way and the key to both of them is first gaining control of the hand that they'll have either on your Bicep or hip. This arm is easier to gain control of that the one that's in your throat.
Two basic ways to do this:
1. Pick it at the elbow and then slide to kesa gatame which puts your leg underneath their elbow so they can't get it back down to the mat. Then re switch your hips to the original position only you will be higher on the opponent and their arm should be trapped between their head and your leg.
2. Switch your hips so they're facing opponents feet! Then bring your knee tight to their leg. Then when you switch back your leg will collect their elbow and force it up so that you end up in a similar position to the ending of the first way.

1.From there you push down on the arm you've trapped at the wrist and use your bodyweight to force it to the mat. Then kill it with your leg by putting your shin on it so it'd trapped.
2. Then you want to have your bottom leg as the one crushing the arm so you make a X with your legs over it, and then move the original leg off the arm and step it up behind the opponents head!

From here the two submissions change
1. Kimura: Use your top hand to control the opponents far arm ( Not one you've trapped under your shin obviously ) and pick them up onto their side whilst you step your posted leg over their back. You then punch your knees together to stop them getting their back to the mat and finish Kimura. Tight to your chest and turn your whole body not the arms.
Also if they clasp their hands to stop you completing it= DEADLIFT their arm to realease grip.

2.Mounted Triangle:
Here instead of controlling their far arm and lifting them to their side you get the Crossface position you'd get from conventional side control.
Then you pick their head up off the mat and slide your posted leg underneath them, falling onto that hip. You then step over to mount with your leg that was on their near arm and your in the mounted triangle position. To finish it you lock your feet in the triangle, drop your weight high and lift their head up, Can also roll to bottom to finish conventional way if mounted triangle ain't working.

We then did some rounds of rolling from side control, free rolling, rounds of takedowns only and rounds of guard passing!

In the guard passing one I personal need to work on more motion and changing of directions. ConstNt pressure!!

19-5-14 PM Training
I decided to take an extra hours sleep this morning as I've a pre-planned meal tonight so I knew Id miss Wrestling anyway, So I decided to sleep in until 7 and then do my Squats in the PM!

Squats:

3x20
3x20
3x40
3x40
3x57.5
3x67.5
7x75

10x42.5
10x42.5
10x42.5
10x42.5
10x42.5

20-5-14 PM Training

Muay Thai 1 Hour and No Gi BJJ 1.5 Hours

Thai
Focussed on kicks tonight with a round of knees mixed in.
Knees felt better than usual was really focusing on thrusting hips forward on them and driving them through. Coach told me to work on foot trips, as well after landing a knee in the clinch as they'll be off balance. Also felt confident throwing the flying right knee.
We work checking low kicks and returning fire with the same leg and also leaning out of the way of high kicks and then sprinting back in with a high kick of your own.

Considering my knees felt better than usual and are normally a weak point, my kicks felt poor. I think it's the fact that I'm not turning my hip over enough on them, it's definetly the hips that are causing the problem. I'm also throwing them slow or telegraphing them... It's not a problem in sparring as I utilise a lot of feints, But when we are doing set drills and opponent knows I'm going to throw a leg kick for example I almost never land it!
Maybe it's the same for everyone and I'm just paranoid but I feel this is the case.

My hands used to be trailing to my kicks but I've done a shitload of boxing privates before my fights and now by hands are definetly my strongest striking asset.
They felt good in sparring too, can't quite put my finger on it but I think I was just thinking "Hit your opponent" instead of looking for openings too much.
The only downside to my hands working well in sparring tonight was that we were supposed to be focusing on kicks.
Need to work my kicks more!!!

No Gi BJJ
Focused on closed Guard:
Warmed up with the armbar to triangle to omoplata drill.
Then worked the three posture brings from closed guard:
Knees to elbows, Side to Side & Sit Up.
(Remember the Ryan Hall legs straight on knees to elbows, & Can come over the head instead of the shoulder on the hips up one too)

WILL FINISH LATER NEED FOOD........

Yeah so finishing on from that BJJ pos earlier, After doing those two warm- up type drills we just went into some situational sparring followed by some full rolling.
I.e. We didn't drill any new techniques tonight.

In the situational drills we had guys in closed guard and partners rolling on. Goal of bottom guy is to sweep or submit. Goal of top guy is to pass guard.

Then the free rolling was starting from knees : did about 8 2min rounds with 30 secs rest.
Did reasonably well in the free rolling.
If there's one thing I need to work on then it would be GUARD PASSING.
Neef to focus on that really..

21-5-14 AM Training

Bench
5x20
5x20
5x20
3x35
3x40
12x45

10x25
10x25
10x25
10x25
10x25

21-5-14 PM Training

MMA + Sparring:

Today we worked on our striking again because as I've said before we are known as a Wrestling gym! Today it was just boxing, worked head movement slipping the straight punches and rolling under the hooks. After a while added things onto the slipping.
-Lowering your level and throwing to the body, Then immediately throwing to the head
-Moving head off centre and returning with your own Jab/Straight depending on what opponent throws you throw the same. "splitting it"
-Slipping the punch and then moving in for a takedown.

We then worked following up these with a takedown and straight away shooting for the takedown once you've lowered your level.

SPARRING
Tonight in sparring instead of doing full on MMA sparring we had it broken down into rounds of:
Kickboxing with Takedowns
Clinch work
Rolling with Strikes - Starting in mount.

There were 5 of us there for the sparring tonight, 3 who are in fight camp currently so me and the other guy without a fight scheduled swapped every round whereas the fighters were in every round.

So I was abit disappointed to not fe working every round like I'm used to but at the same time I was glad too. Mixed Feelings!

With regards to my personal performance did ok in the first two rounds and then was really pleased with how I did in the rolling from mount, held the position well and landed some good shots. NEED TO FOCUS ON HAVING HEAVY HIPS TO STAY ON TOP!

NOTE: With regards to the clinch work- when working to get off the Cage, You can't keep your hips square, Need to angle off otherwise you're never going to escape!

Coach said what we should be working on for this camp is
1. Our Hands
2. Setting up the takedowns

Last edited:
22-5-14
AM Training

So I've skipped the AM training again this morning for an extra hour in bed!
I'm making all the lifting sessions in the mornings on Mon, Wed n Fri but the Tues and Thurs LSD conditioning I'm currently skipping! I think it's because I'm progressing on the lifting each session whereas the LSD is just going off feel and I have no measure able results! Might consider buying a new polar hr monitor to have some kind of goal!

22-5-14 PM Training

1 Hour Thai and 1.5 Hours Jitz

Thai we worked legs again mainly which was good for me really as that's probably my weakest area at the moment. I felt really good with them tonight I was just trying to think speed in my head and kicking through the target. Really focusing on speed and whipping instead of tensing up and going for power.
Did a round each of left and right round kicks then worked a round of the basic combo Jab Straight Hook Right Roundkick.
Next round we built on that by adding to the end of it a reset, Left Hook Right Straight Left Roundkick.
Again these gelt good.
Then we finished class with I think 3x rounds of sparring 1for1 any 3 strikes.
It was light sparring and anytime we have to go light my kicks go all shit and telegraphed as I have to throw them slowly (I know this is poor technique on my part as others can still throw quickly but pull their shots) Like Ive said kicks are my weakest area. Punches were still good though, I had particular success with body shots (especially left hook) and also a kinda right hook/straight up high around the guard ~Stole it off Mayweather he kept throwing it in one of his fights I was watching the other day....Cotto Maybe??
In other news at the end of Thai class the instructor was asking how much I weighed now, I think he was asking because I'd got fatter since my fight, which I have!! But he also said I looked bigger in the shoulders (I think so he didn't offend me too much). So I'll still take it as a compliment and that my 2x upper body compound lifts per week are building muscle.

NO Gi Jitz
Again we are working on closed guard still here.
Warmed up with the same 2 drills as last time.
1. Closed Guard: Knees to chest, Aeroplaning/Side to Side & Sit Up to Hip Bump.
2. Armbar to Triangle to Omoplata drill.

Then we drilled the hip bump to triangle technique that Ryan Hall shows on his DVD.WILL NEED TO REVIEW THIS ON THE WEEKEND.
I can do the transition simply but once I get to the triangle position it needs more work.
1. Control the head.
2. Replace the top leg with your free arm.
Use 1&2 to control their posture.
3. Push off their hip to create the angle for the finish with the leg you just replaced.
4. Re-Lock the triangle .
5. Grab under the opponents arm or body with your hands.
6. Stomp and Curl.

During one of my drilling attempts at this I let the pushing leg go limp and my partners arm just fell out of my triangle.! Massive Error......

We then finished class with some situational sparring from full guard-Needing to pass/Sweep or Submit.
& Some 2 min rounds of rolling.

The situational rounds went ok, I stayed on quite a lot.
The full rolling at the end.... 2 mins went quick and couldn't work a lot...
Had trouble passing the guard as usual and only real way was to wait for an attack/bait one... Then pull out and clear the legs for pass.
Managed to sub a new younger guy but that's about it as far as offence.

Considering buying Ryan Halls guard passing DVDs as I clearly need work here!!

23-5-14 PM Training

Press

5x20
3x20
3x20
3x25
3x27.5
14x32.5

10x20
10x20
10x20
10x20