It Looks like the UFC vets are being set up to lose in ONE

Garnet_StrongerThanYou

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
First and foremost they are looking dwarfed in every fight.

I don’t buy the hydration test. He looks both much taller and more muscular than Mighty Mouse

Moraes-DJ.jpg

Second it looked like the ref was giving instructions to the other fighter to play dead after the back of the head shots.

Iuri was acting like the Funkmaster.

1e575f62-0b07-47fc-a02f-c24de8e12048_c49d8ba1.jpg

Plus I don’t know if they’re testing for PED’S

I feel like they want the UFC vets to go down, and shame the UFC.

Was anyone able to confirm if One has different rules for strikes to the back of the head? They definitely weren’t via unified rules.

I don't think they really want the guys they're paying loads of money to in the hope that they'll be draws to lose.

It did feel that way a bit with poor Sage, though.
Depends on how you look at it.

There have definitely been quite a few instances where high profile well known fighters were given horrendous matchups upon going to new org which then was spun to the public as “see our guys are better than these guys”

Dana acted like a total douche whenever Bellator fighters have lost in the UFC or TUF.

It definitely seemed like Dana was routing for Askren to lose.

poor Sage Northcut, like you said... gets matched up with a guy with 100 combat sports fights, 90 pro kickboxing matches and get his face broken.
That one definitely felt like a “look at our guy smash the UFC Star” matchup.

Everyone dismisses the weight cutting policy but I just learned that their weight class names are a bump up from everyone else. Alvarez fighting at lightweight is actually 170 and Johnson fighting at flyweight is actually 135 so that's why they look undersized. They are fighting in the division of the same name but not the same weight. I don't think a lot of people realize this and I didn't either until the other day.

Was anyone able to confirm if One has different rules for strikes to the back of the head? They definitely weren’t via unified rules.
It's the same rules, as long as your fist makes contact with the ear it's legal. Same as boxing. Problem was 2 of the shots didn't hit the ear because he turned his head away from the punch, that was the reason for the DQ result.

Doesn't One weigh in the same day...
I think they do around fight week, no idea on fight night, doubt it as MM himself used to fight above 140lbs for a 125lbs fight, not even him is 135lbs inside the cage.

Pretty much the same rules, its up to the fighter and or ref to act about them, the refs are notoriously bad on enforcing the rules.

It's the same rules, as long as your fist makes contact with the ear it's legal. Same as boxing. Problem was 2 of the shots didn't hit the ear because he turned his head away from the punch, that was the reason for the DQ result.

An important point is we're so used to this stuff being ignored / given extreme leeway in the UFC.

It's an interesting comparison - one organisation has a more open ruleset that is enforced rigorously, whilst the other has a more restrictive ruleset that is often only followed loosely.

that dude looks huge compared to mighty mouse.

that's a lot to overcome

They just want exciting fights, ONE fighters are just better than what fans and other fighters assume them to be. Sage fight was they were hoping for an action packed striking match with Cosmo's kickboxing vs Sage's traditional martial arts. ONE has high level strikers, so Alvarez getting KO shouldn't be a big surprise given the skillset over at ONE.

This wasn't DJ's first fight, he won the tournament in order to challenge the champion. DJ just had a hard time with the size difference, he's not fighting at 125lb anymore. At 125 there's isn't a massive size difference for him, only at 135 there is. It isn't always about height either, some are thicker/wider even though they around the same height. So even the fighters he was fighting at 125 that were taller, but didn't look physically bigger than him. It's just like when he fought Cruz, he looked a lot smaller than Cruz.

Hydration test is most likely legit because if it wasn't DJ would be fighting at a lower weight class instead of at 135. Moraes has been fighting at ONE so he's had time to move his weight up and fill in with his natural weight.

An important point is we're so used to this stuff being ignored / given extreme leeway in the UFC.

It's an interesting comparison - one organisation has a more open ruleset that is enforced rigorously, whilst the other has a more restrictive ruleset that is often only followed loosely.
It all depends on the fight, stuff like this happens in UFC also. I felt like this fight shouldn't have been a DQ. He wasn't intentionally aiming behind the head, he was originally aiming at the ear and continued to punch without being able to see the target. He didn't know the person turned his head to expose the back of his head. If anything it shouldn't be a no contest if he couldn't continue. I don't agree with the DQ for this specific situation.

Back