It is true that Matt Brown outgrappled Thompson, but...

Better at applying the karate style in MMA than Machida is, more effective with it, more dangerous.

If Wonderboy was to go up to MW and fight Machida, yes, he'd beat him.

Okay, opinions are good.

But let's look at this fact: Machida has been effective and dangerous enough to become a UFC champ. Wonderboy hasn't proven that yet.

And this speculation: If WW is optimal fight weight for Wonderboy, wouldn't he be slower, less agile, and gas quicker if he puts on weight to make MW?

Also another speculation: Machida is best at LHW. Would this mean Wonderboy can beat LHW Machida? Given that no way Machida can cut to WW.

I think Wonderboy looks better doing his karate, simply because in the light weight class, one is quicker and more agile. Like Mighty Mouse, he looks like he can apply everything better than anyone else.

That's harsh on Rory. His nose doesn't give out against Lawler and he's the champ, up on all scorecards.

I'm trying to think who Machida's best win was? Who would you say? Rashad?

He was the first guy to punch Jon Jones in the face, I always like to bring that up.

And do you think Rory McDonald is a better fighter than Prime Rashad Evans?

I wouldn't trust those eyes of yours if you honestly can't tell Johnny Hendricks looks like a completely different fighter. He just lost to TUF winner Kelvin Gastelum. Hendricks is far from an elite fighter at this stage. He physically looked terrible in the Wonderboy fight.

The same Gastelum that the current WW champ squeaked out a split decision against?

Okay, opinions are good.

But let's look at this fact: Machida has been effective and dangerous enough to become a UFC champ. Wonderboy hasn't proven that yet.

And this speculation: If WW is optimal fight weight for Wonderboy, wouldn't he be slower, less agile, and gas quicker if he puts on weight to make MW?

Also another speculation: Machida is best at LHW. Would this mean Wonderboy can beat LHW Machida? Given that no way Machida can cut to WW.

I think Wonderboy looks better doing his karate, simply because in the light weight class, one is quicker and more agile. Like Mighty Mouse, he looks like he can apply everything better than anyone else.

Not if he put on the weight the right way, if he even needed to put any on at all.

We all know that Wonderboy is the best WW right now, you're not gonna argue that he doesn't beat Woodley are you?

Is Machida best at LHW? I don't know. The MW guys have looked too big for him recently.

The same Gastelum that the current WW champ squeaked out a split decision against?

There's a reason why no one expects Woodley to have a long title reign. I had Hendricks winning both Lawler fights and the GSP fight. He went from competing at the highest levels of the sport to looking like a UFC newbie seemingly overnight. Certainly you don't think Wonderboy was fighting the Johnny Hendricks that GSP fought?

And do you think Rory McDonald is a better fighter than Prime Rashad Evans?

Yes, definitely. Woodley is very similar to Prime Rashad Evans and you can see my avatar for that one.

Why hasn't anyone brought up that Jake Shields outstruck Woodley in a fight that was almost entirely standup?

wrong forum.

Worldwide-------------------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

;)

Yes, definitely. Woodley is very similar to Prime Rashad Evans and you can see my avatar for that one.

giphy.gif

There's a reason why no one expects Woodley to have a long title reign. I had Hendricks winning both Lawler fights and the GSP fight. He went from competing at the highest levels of the sport to looking like a UFC newbie seemingly overnight. Certainly you don't think Wonderboy was fighting the Johnny Hendricks that GSP fought?

He was probably more motivated for that fight given it was for the title but pretty much yeah.

It's like people saying Rory was off against Wonderboy, he makes people look like that.

Not if he put on the weight the right way, if he even needed to put any on at all.

We all know that Wonderboy is the best WW right now, you're not gonna argue that he doesn't beat Woodley are you?

Is Machida best at LHW? I don't know. The MW guys have looked too big for him recently.

We don't know that Wonderboy is the best WW. We simply think it. Wonderboy has to prove it by becoming Champ.

I'm not gonna argue if he will or won't beat Woodley. Though I certainly give Wonderboy the advantage. But again, what I think isn't fact. The fact will reveal itself in the future.

Once upon a time, for a short period, Machida was the best LHW.

Sure.

It still baffles me to this day how he had so much trouble against Shogun.

Once upon a time, Shogun's knees still held up and his belly did not jiggle like an ocean wave every time he threw a punch.

Both are big smudges on their respective records. Imagine getting out-struck by Jake Shields or getting grapple-fucked by Matt Brown?!

Why hasn't anyone brought up that Jake Shields outstruck Woodley in a fight that was almost entirely standup?

One issue I spose is that a lot of people just want top avoid the ground with Shields, the same as with Maia. That potentially messes up the standup game of a lot of wrestlers who are used to the the threat of the takedown being a big part of their striking game, fighters can't chase them down too much more they leave themselves open to one.

That's part of why IMHO MMA generally doesn't tend to have many fighters who can back up or use lateral movement really well.

What's the point of this thread? The fights that OP is talking about happened like over 3-4 years ago. Clearly both guys aren't the same fighters they were back then.

Back