It is time to retire the concept of "prime" x fighter vs y fighter

No. It makes sense. For example, one recent fight that makes sense for that is belfort vs gastelum. A prime vitor would have beaten kelvin, sonits strange to act like kelvin is better just cause he beat up 40 year old. Same with Brunson machida, a younger machida would have likely beat Brunson, so why not call it what it is? They are older and skills have declined but were animals in their prime
you are a fucking moron, and a "prime" example of my point. what about prime Genghis Khan vs. prime belfort???

it make sense to compare 'prime' years for people whose careers are from different eras, or who barely overlap.

look at Jordan and Kobe...slight overlap, with Jordan essentially done just as Kobe is hitting his stride as a star player. No one would deem it fair to compare the MJ who Kobe faced on the court when evaluating who is better. obviously you need to point to MJ's prime years when making that comparison.

but I agree that some people conveniently choose to say a fighter is no longer in their prime when they start losing...that, on its own, is a TERRIBLE measure. clearly we need to evaluate WHY they started losing. did their abilities erode, did they fail to evolve and others caught up, or did they simply run into better fighters?

A waste of time, that I’m way too busy to engage in. It’s quite amazing to me actually.

It's not popular here, but I'm inclined to agree in some ways at least with the OP. Prime machida is a good example I think. Machida was successful cuz of his footwork and angles at a time when most MMA fighters were plodding MT guys or wrestlers turned boxers. As the level of training increased, people started learning more and more how to cut off the cage and prevent those angles. Shogun more or less laid out the blueprint for that. So imo it's less that machida isn't in his "prime" than his style was just figured out.

Fedor and BJ both had motivational issues, I believe, more so than age. BJ's motivational issues are well documented, and I think if Fedor had any interest in being a top fighter post-Pride, he would have went straight to UFC instead of screwing around in M-1 and making ridiculous demands.

Edit: I will say nothing beats Father Time, however I don't buy for a second people being out of their primes before 35, barring a life altering injury.

Last edited:
you are a fucking moron, and a "prime" example of my point. what about prime Genghis Khan vs. prime belfort???
Not really sure why you're so triggered...comparing fighters in their prime is something that will be done forever and makes sense in a way. The examples I used earlier illustrate that. If you can't handle the answers than maybe you shouldn't have asked the question lol.

It is time to retire the concept of "prime" x fighter vs y fighter.

I am so sick and tired of reading how "prime" Fedor would have done this and that, "Prime" Machida would dominate, "prime" this and "prime" that.

OMG prime Genghis Khan would have owned all the current beltholders in MMA! Prime

Prime Diagoras of Rhodes would have destroyed Stipe and DC!

Prime Jesus of Nazareth would have stomped a mudhole in Luke Rockhold!

tenor.gif

The problem is: there really isn't much to discuss between events otherwise.

Prime Jesus of Nazareth is no match for the king of chaos Colby Covington

Prime Cain is a four year period where he fought two people (Bigfoot and JDS). Bigfoot is laughable and the new HWs are pushing JDS out of the picture, but yet the shertards still think of Prime Cain as GOAT.

It is time to retire the concept of "prime" x fighter vs y fighter.

I am so sick and tired of reading how "prime" Fedor would have done this and that, "Prime" Machida would dominate, "prime" this and "prime" that.

OMG prime Genghis Khan would have owned all the current beltholders in MMA! Prime

Prime Diagoras of Rhodes would have destroyed Stipe and DC!

Prime Jesus of Nazareth would have stomped a mudhole in Luke Rockhold!
Dont be mad cos you missed out

LIKE THIS POST IF YOUR STILL PRIMING N JULY 2018!

I though tit was against the rules to post speculative fights, and they go to wasteland if you do. I don't see a lot of them on here.

yeah lets ignore facts like fighters being washed up, after dozens of injuries, weight cuts, old af, and past prime physically with done more than 100 pro fights in few sports...

Back