It is time for JDS to diversify his toolbox.

Mooner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Firstly, I'm a huge fan of both Velasquez and Dos Santos. I truly believe these two are head and shoulders above the rest of their weight class like Fedor and Cro Cop were in PRIDE.

I was amazed at Velasquez's pace and relentlessness, but I was surprised at JDS scrambling back to his feet when he was both gassed out and damaged. Anyone that grapples know how hard it is to scramble back to the feet constantly especially when a guy like Velasquez is wrestling you.

JDS has an amazing base and I wish he learns some offensive grappling to his arsenal. At one point, he was almost successful in taking Cain down after getting wrecked for numerous rounds and constant scrambling.

Also, perhaps JDS does not trust his ground game, but it appears he is trying to avoid it at all cost. He should seriously work on subs and sweeps off his back not just trying to scramble up to the feet. He has to be a bit more unpredictable.

Even in the stand up, JDS only throws punches and he adjusted into throwing elbows, but he should be kicking and kneeing more as well. He has a distinct height advantage around 6ft3in especially against Velasquez who is a shorter guy.

JDS himself constantly says 'I feel confident that I can knock anyone out with my hands' Hopefully he learns from this and broadens his toolbox. He is a fast learner as evident in his MMA boxing and English and he should have no problem adding different arsenals to his game.

That is very true. JDS' boxing and TDD are probably as good as they are going to get. But his fear of the ground game will cause him to perform like he did yesterday. Unless he fixes that problem, other fighters should be able to repeat Cain's performance to some extent.

For example, Lesnar could not beat any top opponent after Carwin exposed his fear of getting punched.

I agree, he can't be to stubborn about fighting stand up. He has such great hands that he should exploit it to take down his opponents, if only just to confuse. I can see him take down superior wrestlers gsp style.

That is very true. JDS' boxing and TDD are probably as good as they are going to get. But his fear of the ground game will cause him to perform like he did yesterday. Unless he fixes that problem, other fighters should be able to repeat Cain's performance to some extent.

For example, Lesnar could not beat any top opponent after Carwin exposed his fear of getting punched.

Honestly, JDS can keep doing what he is doing and beat 90% of the heavyweight because not many can eat punches and continue to push the pace like Velasquez can, but if he wants to get to the next level he should broaden his toolbox.

Honestly, JDS can keep doing what he is doing and beat 90% of the heavyweight because not many can eat punches and continue to push the pace like Velasquez can, but if he wants to get to the next level he should broaden his toolbox.

Absolutely. I can see JDS being a top 3 fighter for a long time with the same skillset. But getting the title back will require more skills.

I recall mentioning he needs to do just that well before this fight and catching hell from a few posters.

It's a different world when all you fight are the next best guys in the division. It was only a matter of time before JDS would be forced to show more than just punching power. It can only take you so far, and when that one weapon is gone, there's nothing else to rely on. I didn't get the GOAT talk so early with a guy that looks so limited.

He'll never be CroCop ala 2003 but just adding some knees and body/leg kicks would help him alot. Cain sat in JDS's plum for long periods of time last night and Junior didn't throw a single knee. IMO JDS needs to go to Greg Jackson or Randy and learn a few tricks.

JDS is not an inside fighter, he needs to learn how to keep it at a distance. I think some jabs would help him.

I recall mentioning he needs to do just that well before this fight and catching hell from a few posters.

It's a different world when all you fight are the next best guys in the division. It was only a matter of time before JDS would be forced to show more than just punching power. It can only take you so far, and when that one weapon is gone, there's nothing else to rely on. I didn't get the GOAT talk so early with a guy that looks so limited.

The thing is I see great potential in JDS to incorporate different arsenals. I mean, the guy scrambled up to his feet every time he was taken down. Not to mention, he is a quick learner. That just proves to me the guy has the physical ability to take fighters down.

the thread title made me think of the wu-tang skit on the chappelle show:

LOL
Diversify what?
He lost because he didn't have good enough cardio.

JDS is not an inside fighter, he needs to learn how to keep it at a distance. I think some jabs would help him.

He uses his body straights to keep distance and set up KO's. He needs to add to his set ups. Possibly emphasizing a right hand straight-RHK thing, ala CC with his lefts. Doubt it would happen though.

Wait, what happened to Nog in PRIDE? Me thinks you forgot him.

..The main premise isn't about PRIDE glory days. Sure, I guess you can add him in...although he pretty much never showed any sort of threat to Fedor in numerous encounters.

LOL
Diversify what?
He lost because he didn't have good enough cardio.

1) he is a heavyweight. They are not meant to have great cardio
2) you try scrambling up to the feet at least 6 times per round
3) Not many heavyweight can push the pace like Velasquez and JDS gutted it through

JDS has an above average cardio for his weight division.

Back