It’s hard to feel bad for UFC fighters who are struggling to make money

101 sjwnomics.
If you don’t like monopolies, start a new player and get your share of the market by being better than them.
The only way a monopoly stays undefeated is if the government is blackmailed. Otherwise, there’s always a way for other players getting their market share.

101 broenomics. Which doesn’t take into account how a monopoly can screw customers and employees. There’s a reason unions exist and one should for the UFC.

Last edited:
It's kinda funny since the UFC could probably take even more off the top fighters in the world if they allowed sponsors.
The UFC used to take advantage of fighters having sponsors like they wouldn't have to pay the fighters as much themselves because the sponsor pay used to be much higher.

When organizations like Bellator, RIZIN, PFL and many others would pay them so much more and let them wear sponsors on their shorts which would help them out so much. Instead people like Buys is begging and pleading to Uncle Dana for 50k which is sad. At this point you know what you’re getting into signing here so I don’t wanna hear anymore, “I’m struggling to get by” or “I had to take 2 jobs because I don’t get paid enough”.

Fight out your contract and leave or don’t sign at all at this point.

1. I'm skeptical that these other orgs pay a lot more, especially Bellator.
2. Imagine saying to someone, 'I don't feel bad that you are struggling to get by, you could just uproot and move to Japan or Singapore'.
3. I think it's a healthy exercise to always find a way to empathize with the struggles of other people, even if you think their problems are self-inflicted.

It's kinda funny since the UFC could probably take even more off the top fighters in the world if they allowed sponsors.

Yep. I agree. The issue with how the UFC has handled the sponsors imo is not just that they've forced the fighters to take what amounts to a massive paycut; its that the UFC itself has grossly underestimated the value of fighter sponsorships.

That said, I've grown skeptical about the claims of how much fighters say they made off of sponsorships.

Who cares?

There are millions of people struggling to make ends month meets and we don't go around white knighting them like you fuckers do with human cockfighters.

Yep. I agree. The issue with how the UFC has handled the sponsors imo is not just that they've forced the fighters to take what amounts to a massive paycut; its that the UFC itself has grossly underestimated the value of fighter sponsorships.

That said, I've grown skeptical about the claims of how much fighters say they made off of sponsorships.
Fighters ability to push product on social media has increased substantially in that time as well.

I feel nothing for people I've never heard of and who can be swapped out of cards without even noticing.

People do know what they are getting into, it’s why the sport attracts very little high level athletes in heavier weight classes.

It’s not worth it for those big guys when they can make more doing other things that are less harmful to their health.

I think the only issue they might run into with this legally is that it's somewhat of an industry standard among larger organisations.
Non-competition clause comes with extra pay and typically involve sensitive positions. No matter how those contract look like, they don't prevent people from making a living. Basically, the former employee gets paid to not compete.

Sorry, but you're comparing apples to oranges like you're living in some sort of a bubble. Let me explain something to you. Professional combat sports are not organized like structured leagues in sports like basketball/soccer/football etc. In those sports due to massive audience and big organizations, you are absolutely guaranteed some money if you fulfill certain conditions like winning a league or a cup or advance to a certain stage of it. Also, TV rights are usually sols for the whole league so you get a cut of that too. So in those sports you can have the most boring and unappealing playstyle, but if at the end of the season you win, you get that money. You will still make WAY less money from sponsors than some teams who have more marketable stars or are playing in a way that's more appealing to your average fan.

There is no such thing in professional combat sports. Your audience is way smaller due to the violent nature of the sport and the PPV model, and these organizations are private companies that don't get financed by the state and massive machinery of big organizations like FIFA or some national league in soccer for example. You can't sell TV rights for much money, and that's not only because of the PPV model cause there are some "TV" events, but just because of the fact you don't have as much audience. So, in order for these private companies to even keep their lights on, they have to be a mix of sport and show business and that's why they are also unfair to a degree, because there is no clear rule on how one gets a title shot etc. and your average fan will fall for the "champ champ" bullshit, even though the guy who got the title shot often doesn't even have 1 fight in that division and it's very questionable whether he or she would have been able to actually get one in a fair way if that was mandatory.

In other words, in these combat sports 90+% of the time you're paid exactly as much as you are worth and you can't fucking expect to share the profits equally or even to raise the minimum contract etc., because the company would go under very, very fast. It's up to the fighters to promote themselves with their fights and personality. Most people buy the PPV cause of 1-2 fights, they don't care about some unknowns fighting. On some level it's unfair, of course. But they are your customers and you have to cater to them, if they pay to watch a certain fight, you can't pay fighters nobody cares about if they don't attract viewership. Ofc this is fucking brutal, but every single fighter knows how the business works before he or she gets into it, 90% or more of them will never ever make it and they're risking serious injuries and brain damage, but it's their choice to do this. If you're an "unknown" fighter and have a 3-4 fight contract, chances are you'll be on at least one or 2 decent cards and if you perform well there and perhaps get a bonus for KO of the night or whatever, not only will you make more money that very night, but people will recognize you and will want to see you again. It's up to the fighter and their manager to negotiate a good contract, that's just how the business works. Again, it's brutal and most of them will never make it, but that's life and they chose to do this.

Unions should exist for 9-5 jobs for jobs that are actually contributing to society in a meaningful way and which are required for everything around us to function properly. As much as I love MMA, at the end of the day it is only entertainment and a pretty mindless one at that, even though skill and effort are required. If all the boxers, MMA fighters and every other athlete in the world disappeared and got teleported to another planet tomorrow, the world would change but it would still function. If just 10-20% of nurses, garbage men or any type of laborers disappeared from a major city for 2 weeks, you'd have chaos. I understand the idea of a union for MMA, but these fighters and managers who want to make one should first try to run a MMA promotion and then see if they change their minds :D. How on Earth can it be fair for some guy or a girl to get some sort of minimum decent contract if nobody knows of them and they are not attracting audience, and on the other hand fighters who invest in themselves, do all the promotion work, try to finish fights and get bonuses and attract more audience are getting a paycut just because of the ones nobody knows about? Again, this is not some socially productive work that's required for the society to function properly, it's mindless entertainment like most sports so this is where it's fair for capitalism to be 100% brutal and where they literally get paid what they're worth.
WTF? This is about a company that pockets 80% of the revenue.

Union or government clamp down doesn't matter. But there is one constant. Unionized people make more money.

The Scandinavian countries were up in arms when the EU talked about implementing a minimum salary. Scandinavian workers don't want the government to meddle in their affairs. Seriously, why would a McDonald's worker in Denmark making $45,000 a year including 5 weeks paid vacation, etc. want the government to tell corporations how little they can pay him?

The difference between union or non-union for McDonald's employees is $15 an hour.

101 sjwnomics.
If you don’t like monopolies, start a new player and get your share of the market by being better than them.
The only way a monopoly stays undefeated is if the government is blackmailed. Otherwise, there’s always a way for other players getting their market share.
Why didn't people think of this before? Somebody should inform Microsoft to make an OS for phones. There's a huge market out there that they are missing.

Or how about Facebook and YouTube? Why is nobody starting a new social network or video site and get their share of the market by being better than them? Strange.

Except as evidenced 100 times, it's damn near impossible to fight our your contract if you're a winning fighter
Yes it is.

But fighters don't like betting on themselves. Remember the whole "if you don't resign we'll give you a super tough opponent for your last match" Shelby argument?

Rory got WB.

The links? Or the fact that I responded to somebody who used that argument?
um...the links just explain what a monopoly is.

someone else you responded to just stated the ufc wasn't a monopoly.

Back