It’s 2011: Strikeforce vs Bellator

You're saying Strikeforce is better than Bellator then why are you handicapping Bellator so heavily?

You are putting current day, 2022 roster against Strikeforce's entire alumni. Clay Guida last fought in Strikeforce in 2006 when it was an entirely different promotion.

SF LW division isn't better than Bellator's and a couple of the guys you mentione dare not even really even "strikeforce" LWs. How is Shinya Aoki a Strikeforce fighter, he never signed with them. Aoki has had as many fights for Strikeforce as he has with Bellator.

Seems rather inconsistent or possibly just bias. If it's alumni vs alumni then Bellator is easily better, many of the fighters you listed fought for Bellator. Megumi Fuji didn't "stomp" Bellator's WMMA, she is a bellator fighter - she did not even fight for Strikeforce. How is Julia Budd a SF fighter but not a Bellator fighter?

And seriously, Gina Carano would "stomp" most of the fighters in Bellator? That's straight up marketing hype, Gina Carano never beat anyone. Her sample size is tiny.

Bellator does not have a weak WW division and Paul Daley lost to every big name at WW in Bellator except Lorenz. Daley could not even beat MVP, and many WWs can beat MVP in Bellator.

Are you saying Daley did decent because on his last fight he beat Giácomo?

I don't know, I see a lot of nostalgia here. Naming Strikeforce fighters from different eras, many of them not even in their primes, even listing guys who weren't Strikeforce fighters.

Not attacking you personally, just think you did not think through some major aspects of your post. I agree that Strikeforce had a better MW division or at least one that was better developed and their HW division was better than the UFC's both at that time and today's version - much less Bellator who's HW division suck ass.
First, some background on why this thread is set up the way that it is. Coker called the current roster he beat RIZIN with the best Bellator has ever had, and a poster said it was better than Strikeforce’s roster. So I thought it would be fun to do some fantasy booking. But it wouldn’t be fair to Bellator if I said “book Bellator’s current roster against Strikeforce at their peak” or something like that, because that’s vague and Strikeforce’s peak lasted a couple of years. I needed to choose a year, so that it would be fair. I could’ve done 2010 I guess, but I think Strikeforce was better in 2011, plus this is a fantasy game and people might want to book Ronda or somebody like that, and she wasn’t there until 2011. By the end of 2011, Nick Diaz, Hendo, and Fedor were no longer in Strikeforce, so doing 2012 wouldn’t be accurate or as much fun.

Now, there have to be some rules about what constitutes each roster, in order to start booking. It would be stupid, and defeat the purpose, to be able to book Fedor vs Fedor, Mousasi vs Mousasi, etc. It would also be stupid and defeat the purpose to not allow Strikeforce access to the actual roster that they had. I guess I could’ve allowed posters to pick and choose which org they wanted to use those fighters for, but I felt that would skew the booking: it makes no sense for someone to try and prove the point that Bellator had a better roster by way of using fighters Strikeforce actually had in their roster, but calling them Bellator fighters.

And frankly: if a person feels handicapped by that, then I think that answers the question of whose roster was better. Someone can’t book a fight card where Bellator realistically beats Strikeforce without using fighters Strikeforce also had?? Then the question is answered.

Now: you are totally right that I had a brain fart about Fuji, and that’s what I get for not double-checking. I’ll add an edit note to that post to fix it.

Regarding Carano, my phrasing was poor. I said
The 2011 versions of Ronda, Miesha, Amanda, Cyborg, Marloes, Sarah Kaufman, Alexis Davis, Julia Budd, and even Carano
That makes it sound like there is such a thing as a 2011 version of Carano, when she wasn’t even fighting then. Everyone else on that list was on the roster in 2011. What I meant was that those people would stomp the current WMMA roster in Bellator, and even someone like Carano (who I agree isn’t that great) could be successful. Pam Sorensen and Dayana Silva in Bellator aren’t that great either, but are ranked. I like Carano’s chances against them just fine. But I agree that my verbiage was poorly chosen.

Now regarding some of these other names, I was merely mentioning fighters that have come through Strikeforce that people forget about. I don’t identify Nate Diaz, or Aoki, Chandler, or Anthony Smith, with Strikeforce. Even Yoel Romero only had one fight there, but under the rules of the game he was usable, and Aoki would be too technically since they did fight there in 2011.

Last edited:
Back