Issue with Jones vs Reyes fight outside of the judging

Telford90

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Obviously there's alot of conjecture with the judging (I had it 48-47 Reyes, but could understand if people went with Jones), but did anyone have an issue with the Redding?

I only ask because Jones was warned three times about having his fingers out/to watch his fingers. Surely under the new rules he should have had a point deducted? I was under the impression that having your fingers straight out was an infraction?

This isn't a thread to bash on Jones, it's more a question of the rules and if they were applied fairly by big Dan.

Bruh, they don’t even take points when you actually poke the guy. Extended fingers ain’t gonna cost you any points

cormier poked stipe three times in less than a round and won by KO without losing a point

rothwell was losing to Struve, destroyed stefan’s nuts twice, almost to the point of struve being unable to continue on both occasions and ben still eventually KO’d him

the rules are just guidelines and the refs decide whatever the fuck they want

Jones won 3:2, Reyes gas out

How does this rule ever work, guy goes for a takedown his fingers are out, do you you deduct points for a takedown, guy goes for a trip fingers are out, guy goes to judge distance fingers are out. No one keeps there fists closed all fight.

Jones won 3:2, Reyes gas out

Thanks bro, but not the point of this thread.

How does this rule ever work, guy goes for a takedown his fingers are out, do you you deduct points for a takedown, guy goes for a trip fingers are out, guy goes to judge distance fingers are out. No one keeps there fists closed all fight.

I think if you're engaging in standup, and you consistently keep a hand out with your fingers extended, it's considered a foul. I'm not entirely sure, just asking for people's thoughts.

Texas is also still under the old rules so I don’t think deductions come into play for warnings.

Sorry i'm quite drunk and overly emotional about that robbery, by no means meant to sound like I was giving you any shit..
My opinion is though that if you wanted to do a move like for example this ...
tumblr_p6uj92l2QE1rofocqo3_500.gifv

One puts the fingers out. unless an eye poke is done, then nothing should be considered a foul based on what ifs surely?

Texas is also still under the old rules so I don’t think deductions come into play for warnings.

That was my take on it too. The commentators were acting like the ref should be doing more, but under the old rules, I don't believe there's any stipulation that the hand must be closed, so what was the ref going to do? Reyes never got poked, did he?

Sorry i'm quite drunk and overly emotional about that robbery, by no means meant to sound like I was giving you any shit..
My opinion is though that if you wanted to do a move like for example this ...
tumblr_p6uj92l2QE1rofocqo3_500.gifv

One puts the fingers out. unless an eye poke is done, then nothing should be considered a foul based on what ifs surely?

All good dude no stress. And yeah I see what you mean. I just thought there was a difference between them coming out for a second in the process of executing a move, and a fighter holding fingers out for a prolonged period to impede the other fighter (like what Jones did).

All good dude no stress. And yeah I see what you mean. I just thought there was a difference between them coming out for a second in the process of executing a move, and a fighter holding fingers out for a prolonged period to impede the other fighter (like what Jones did).
I think Jones puts his hand out to claim distance on the reach, as Zabit here does to claim distance on the takedown, without the fingers extended at points on the feet MMA goes out the window, is it not like saying someone constantly going for the single leg is going for a low blow to the groin? maybe i'm wrong but the rule makes no sense in my head unless an actual physical foul is caused.

Back