Israel kills Iranian General, high ranking Hezbollah in Syria

Israel seems in a confused state regards Syria. I know it hates Hezbollah and Iran, but Islamic State is surely worse, if possible.

How many ISIS targets has Israel attacked? how many Assad forces?

Israel wants jihadistan to thrive because jihadistan is no threat to the well organized Israeli Army, Hezbollah and Assad on the other hand, they are a threat.

Its getting to the point that rebel forces are launchign mortar attacks into Golan Heights to have the IDF bomb Assad forces.

Netanyahu has already said that ISIS is a good thing because it will weaken Iran, the guy has no qualms into seeing the world burn if it means fucking with Iran.
So what you're saying is that he's looking out for his own people's interests rather than being World Police? I thought this was only contemptuous when the US does it.

Israel seems in a confused state regards Syria. I know it hates Hezbollah and Iran, but Islamic State is surely worse, if possible.

As Rod1 says, Jihadistan is the worst place on the planet, but it poses no real military threat to Israel -- unlike Hezbollah, which Israel sees as far and away its biggest threat.

Everybody hates Jihadistan, but all of them have tried to use Sunni militants to take out Iran/Hezbollah. Israel, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, they all burn with hatred for Shiite military power and will sponsor and support just about anybody who will hedge it in.

Btw, I don't think Israel is directly supporting the Sunni militants (like Turkey is), but it certainly is enjoying blasting Assad and the Iranians, which of course helps the Sunni militants immensely.

As Rod1 says, Jihadistan is the worst place on the planet, but it poses no real military threat to Israel -- unlike Hezbollah, which Israel sees as far and away its biggest threat.

Everybody hates Jihadistan, but all of them have tried to use Sunni militants to take out Iran/Hezbollah. Israel, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, they all burn with hatred for Shiite military power and will sponsor and support just about anybody who will hedge it in.

Btw, I don't think Israel is directly supporting the Sunni militants (like Turkey is), but it certainly is enjoying blasting Assad and the Iranians, which of course helps the Sunni militants immensely.

Why do you believe that Israel has it in for Iran and/or Shi'ite militants anymore than Israel has it in for the Sunni equivalents? Sunni militants such Hamas are as hated as Hezbollah and back in the day the Egyptian/Syrian/Iraqi armies were feared and hated by Israelis as much as Iran's is today. IMO Israel is an equal opportunity hater towards any state or group that it feels threatened by.

It's almost as if Israel wants ISIS to run wild, so that they get more support from a war crazed US into backing whatever Israel says would work...

calling obama an anti semite is a joke! not putting america's interests before israel makes you an anti semite. amazing.

Israel has long been informally allied with the Sunni states in the region -- Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt under Mubarak, Jordan. Much of the relative peace following the Yom Kippur War rests upon this tacit peace between Israel and these Sunni states.

That is EXACTLY why Al Qaeda is so angry about the situation, they portray the current rulers of the Sunni Arab states as corrupt dictators who have sold out to Israel/the U.S. They are very unhappy that the Sunni world is not going after Israel with jihad and purifying the Middle East.

There is no Israel-hostile + powerful Sunni military in the entire region. Iraq was the closest until it got taken out by the US.

Hamas is no combative threat to anybody. Contrast the recent Israeli invasion of Gaza with the recent Israeli invasion of Lebanon. The difference in combat capability is startling. Hamas is a bunch of yokels with homemade rockets, but Hezbollah can fight like a motherfucker, and is directly tied in with Iran.

So Israel does not directly support Jihadistan, like I said, but sees it as less threatening than Hezbollah -- which can actually pose a tough military threat. But as I've said many times before, the default opinion that sees Iran as uber-dangerous relative to Jihadistan is a continual lie, the Sunni militants may not present an organized military threat but everybody has been consistently underrating how pervasive and dominating they are. There are still people who think the Sunnis are going to kick all these guys out and 'normalize' again, with Iraq reforming under a central gov't.

This particular attack in Syria was because they had information that Hezbollah was about to launch a significant attack on Isreal from Syria (if I'm recalling the article correctly).

that's what they claim but it's complete nonsense, hez has their hands full with isis, and we are to believe they are so stupid that they would start another conflict with israel so they have to fight on 2 fronts? absolute nonsense. more israeli "intelligence."

The FBI can perform intricate operations that require a lot of luck, effort and skill yet the same country's police force couldn't handle an un armed twelve year old with a toy gun and had to shoot him dead? I call BS.

um, that wasn't the fbi was it? wasn't that the police?

LOL the Israel hate is strong in the WR today. Why the hell would Israel want to help IS? Assad and even Saddam were relatively predictable which afforded Israel stability on those fronts for decades. All the recent conflicts occurred on the Israel-Lebanon border or in Gaza but the rise of the crazy nutjobs known as IS has brought huge instability to the wider region with unknowable long term effects. The sheer number of battle-hardened Jihadis created by the rise of IS will certainly have consequences that will impact Israel.

Israel would choose Assad any day of the week over IS

they aren't exactly hiding it, bibi said when two of your enemies are fighting each other you weaken them both, so israel wants to make sure isis keeps up the fight. and israel would also rather have isis over a unified shitte alliance.

They're taking advantage of ISIS against Assad. There's a difference.

support is support, period. they are supporting terrorists and not for the first time.

they just broke the cease fire and killed a bunch of people in syria, and now if hez returns the favor and attacks israel, israel will claim to be the victim of a terrorist attack. this is what they do all the damn time, kill a bunch of people and then when there is blow back they cry like girls and claims they are the victims of terror attacks.

they aren't exactly hiding it, bibi said when two of your enemies are fighting each other you weaken them both, so israel wants to make sure isis keeps up the fight. and israel would also rather have isis over a unified shitte alliance.

I guess the difference is that I just don't see Israel as a strategic player in the war vs ISIS. Sure, Israel will take out high ranking Hezbollah leaders and destroy weapons destined for Hezbollah but those actions are limited in scope and not directly related the Syrian Civil War. From what I read in the Israeli press Israel seems happy to observe the events from the sidelines without playing any real role because it just isn't clear what outcome would be beneficial to Israel's interests.

How a normal person can support those murders are beyond me.

Assad should be considered an ally until IS is made insignificant.
Weakening Assad's ability to do so is essentially supporting IS and instability in the region. This claim that this guy was planning an imminent attack in Israel when there is already too much on Syria's plate is laughable. This general has already been recognized as helping Assad bolster his militias against IS. Israel deliberately targeted this convoy to get this specific team off the table because down the line they may pose a future threat via elevated Hez skills. He is a retired Iranian General, so it was a politically safe assassination to conduct given the transparent excuse Israel gave.

How a normal person can support those murders are beyond me.

They're all murderers. Once one party is contained there will be others to contain. We are currently arming people who may very well be our next enemy. Israel is just jumping to cue and getting a head start on hezbollah and Iran. They're not your friends either, they're just useful right now to help dispose of ISIS, but once ISIS is no more the pressing matter, it could very well be Assad/Hezbollah and Iran.

It's in the best interests of the Israelis to keep Syria as fucked up as possible for as long as possible. Israel basically does whatever the fuck it wants in the region because of its power.

they aren't exactly hiding it, bibi said when two of your enemies are fighting each other you weaken them both.

Tell me what exactly is wrong with that from Israel's position? They're looking out for their own interests. Not enough world policing in other people's international conflicts for you? You are vocally against the US entering conflicts in which they don't belong but somehow you want Israel to choose a side. Isn't that hypocritical ?

Israel don't care about ISIS getting stronger from actions like this. They know that if ISIS took complete control of Syria the West would have no choice but to step up its intervention to get rid of them. The US will have Israel's back no matter what they do. The American taxpayer will be the ones picking up the bill if Assad falls and the United States has have boots on the ground to stop the extremists taking control.

Back