Israel Adesanya's defense

Qwerty1

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
What would you rate it? Is it considered good?

Im not an expert but he seems to get tagged a decent amount. I think Costa will tag him at least a couple times, hoping his chin holds up.

Im not an expert but he seems to get tagged a decent amount. I think Costa will tag him at least a couple times, hoping his chin holds up.
On the feet? I mean you don’t get much better without sacrificing significant offensive output

Fire AV bruh. No pressure was surprisingly dope. Celebration is a ridiculous track. Back to your question. It's very very good. He rolls with strikes well too. Don't let the theatrics fool you. His defence is good. He does get hit though but his defence is indeed good. Wonder how he'll fare against paulos body shots though. It's not immediately obvious to me how he'll do it.

It’s way above average, but he can be hit. I don’t think he is amazing defensively. I think he might perhaps have issues with southpaws. A good defensive fighter though.

His defense is one of the best at MW, in my opinion. In his fight against Whittaker, he barely got hit.

It's really good till it isn't

<mma3>

It's really good. His upper body movement is sometimes incredible.
But it's also suspect. Like for such a high level kickboxer, the KG fight is an anomaly. Especially when you add in the height and reach advantage, and the fact that KG is not a guy who uses his wrestling a lot so the TD threat wasn't that big of a factor.

That fight is why I'm not totally sold on Adesanya.

Really good Defence, incredibly hard to hit flush thanks to elite footwork and swaying and ducking out the way, his actual head movement doesn't look as flashy as some, but his defensive reaction timing and body movements are as good as i've seen... Costa has less reach than Yoel who really struggled to make that distance except the infamous punch that ruined the fight.. Maybe more output will be the answer, we shall see.

Its pretty damn good.

He got hit by Kelvin quite a bit. Whittaker's entries were god awful so that has alot to do with why Israel hardly got hit in that one albeit nearly breaking his back evading those head kicks of Robs.

He is a very busy fighter outside that one fight. Watch the Kelvin and Brunson fights in particular he was right on them as soon as a break in action occurred he was immediately giving them looks again in their face.

8/10 atleast.

It's very good - keep in mind that he fought a lot of southpaws (Vettori, Silva, Gastelum, Romero) which orthodox strikers always struggle a bit more with than against other orthodox strikers and still has a sign. strike defense of ~65% (which is equal to the defense percentage of Jon Jones, btw.)

It's really good. His upper body movement is sometimes incredible.
But it's also suspect. Like for such a high level kickboxer, the KG fight is an anomaly. Especially when you add in the height and reach advantage, and the fact that KG is not a guy who uses his wrestling a lot so the TD threat wasn't that big of a factor.

That fight is why I'm not totally sold on Adesanya.
I see where you're coming from, but keep in mind that Kelvin is a southpaw and everything else aside, a southpaw striker has always an advantage against the orthodox striker.
(Because southpaws are used to orthodox guys, but not vice versa).

sometimes he trusts body reflexes too much:

tenor.gif

* Footwork
* head movement
* fast hips
* he leaves traps against someone aggressive
* knows how to use your size
* good dodge
* knows how to retreat at the right time

his defense is good but not perfect,he was surprised by a small guy.
PalePastelBlackrussianterrier-size_restricted.gif

Adesanya biggest flaw is that he often backs down when pressed,he is vulnerable for a few seconds.

if Kelvin were the size of Adesanya,he would capitalize on that error and KO Adesanya.

He lacks defense and Costa is going to capitalize it.

Overrated but better than most, his last few opponents have just head hunted. As soon as guys use feints, hooks, and body attacks you’ll see the disintegration.

His length, experience, and height make him a tough guy to reach, and that allows him to see strikes coming and evade and counter more efficiently than your average Joe.

Costa is the perfect guy to employ hooks and body attacks, if he comes with a half decent gameplan, you’ll see that he’ll give Adesanya a lot of problems. Adesanya has a very good chin and thats served him well as a last line of defense where he otherwise could have gotten dropped or finished.

Don’t listen to the idiots who say he has bad defense. Those morons don’t know what they are talking about

The fact is he has some of the best defense in the Middleweight Division.

He is TOP 5 in every single category

0C4639ED-ECB7-41CE-BF29-C6DFC5B78B32.jpeg F18E12F6-9816-4C90-8B99-4963B7E8634C.jpeg EB8FF825-C240-456B-883F-82B1DD139762.jpeg 06E08FC4-B477-4D91-8690-9024B30A66C2.jpeg

Back