Israel Adesanya will be the Manny Pacquiao of the UFC, he will put Nigeria on the map

Yeah coming from an American (me) who is just crazy about the sport maybe 5% of people I talk to are even aware it's considered a sport now. They think of it along the same levels as dogfighting if it was legal.

Hmm. I thought that would be still the case in the States among people who don't watch it but know of it. Helwani sort of goes on as if it's being 'accepted' by the public so to speak and the whole ra-ra about getting into New York, was obviously about money and fights being held at MSG and just the principle of it being allowed there.

Folk over here I'd have talked to are put off by the blood and the '2 lads rolling around on the floor with one another' I think Soccer kicks are horrible to watch and I wouldn't want to see it in a fight, though they punch someone unconscious when they're on their back and both elements of that are something akin to a street fight, so I could see why people are put off by that. Though some of the nay-sayers go on as if the fighters are being poked with a cattle prod to go and fight.

Still a lot of barriers to get through and educating people on the ground game - which I didn't have a clue what was going on when I first started watching.

Now that it's on ESPN in the US it will start to grow since it is a very popular sport only channel. The way forward is through TV deals in other countries though. One FC is actually paving the way into that market for the UFC they are just waiting to snatch up the best of that talent with lucrative deals and start doing more shows there.

Yeah we get games covered by ESPN here and they have a channel that's a bit different to the States. I thought them going on FOX would be a lot bigger than it should have been - but the viewer numbers didn't seem that great on those cards overall. With the time difference here as well, it's hard staying up late for the fights/main events at 5:30am and it feels like there's too many cards - and it's not spread over a certain time frame - they seem to have 6 events in a row and then they take a 2 or 3 week break before the next block of fights.

Yeah, there's over 2 billion people in China and India alone and that would be the market they probably want to get more viewers from, and even the Japanese fighters and audience seems to have stagnated since PRIDE went. I think the fans over there are used to a certain way things are done in terms of production and fighters they know. Before you could bring back the old PRIDE alumni for cards in Japan, but they're all gone now more or less.

Wouldn't be a bad idea if the UFC started like a mini UFC in Japan for instance or buy out the local shows and put the best fighters on shows with something that has a PRIDE feeling to the show.

Israel got nothing on this guy
GettyImages-913544102.jpg

Dulani

He's got a lot of potential with his stand up style. I'll be waiting to see how he fares vs a high level grappler in Brunson before I make a jump to his bandwagon & hype.

the general population is short.
Biafra-agitators.jpg

I think people get a misconception that Africans are tall because the bigger ones stand out more in America. The African friends I have (Nigerian, Ghanaian, and Kenyan) are all shorter than US average. Meanwhile, most Afro-Carribeans (Haitian, Jamaican and Dominican) I know are taller.

But there are more Kevin Harts in Nigeria than Kevin Durants.
Those little nigerians are hilarious...

I like his confidence and for his division he is a small guy other guys are dwarfing him calling him sickly old man or skinny twig, but the guy is exciting and skillful

He will be the Pacquiao of the UFC and become a huge star and household name once he can get Nigeria to support him, you guys agree?

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/2/...wants-to-be-nigerias-answer-to-manny-pacquiao
Israel was born in Nigeria so he represents his native country. Awesome striker, so highly skilled its incredible. He will dice Brunson up so bad. 100% Derek swan dives for takedowns teh whole fight lmfao

Yeah coming from an American (me) who is just crazy about the sport maybe 5% of people I talk to are even aware it's considered a sport now. They think of it along the same levels as dogfighting if it was legal. It's not popular here we just have such a high average income that it has become the moneymaker. The PC culture here won't ever let MMA become mainstream. Now that it's on ESPN in the US it will start to grow since it is a very popular sport only channel. The way forward is through TV deals in other countries though. One FC is actually paving the way into that market for the UFC they are just waiting to snatch up the best of that talent with lucrative deals and start doing more shows there.
You’re posting to mostly Americans on sherdog. You’re comment on 5% is bullshit. It gets major media coverage. Big events get front page on ESPN.

Mike tyson is a bigtime pacman fan, claims he is the most sensational ferocious fighter in boxing, isreal is more of a flashy showman but if he can deliver kos he can shine
Those are quite the boots to fill. We can only hope he is that kind of talent. People who don't follow boxing that much don't realize that Pacquiao is unquestionably one of the greatest to ever do it. He was an 8 division champion. The only ever in the history of boxing which is just a little longer than MMA's legacy. Adesanya is very good but he'd have to win the MW, LHW, and HW belts while consistently getting finishes for years to touch a legend like that. Will he put Nigeria on the map as a MMA hotbed? Almost certainly but to compare him to a fighter of that magnitude at this point is beyond hyperbolic.
jv

Mike tyson is a bigtime pacman fan, claims he is the most sensational ferocious fighter in boxing, isreal is more of a flashy showman but if he can deliver kos he can shine

jv
2 different realms. MMA & Boxing are completely different sports. Pac man is a boxing master, Israel is a kickboxing GOD

Every fighter is susceptible to a KO. Uet, Israel is a professional at putting men to absolute sleep

You’re posting to mostly Americans on sherdog. You’re comment on 5% is bullshit. It gets major media coverage. Big events get front page on ESPN.

What are regional experiences?!? Everyone experiences the same thing as me!

Back