Israel Adesanya vs Anderson Silva styles

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
This is a really fun fight; even at Silva's age, I think it will be intriguing for as long as it lasts. I do think Adesanya will knock him out due to better distance management and his use of feints, eventually landing some knee/head kick possibly. Or just beating Silva up in the clinch.

But, what do I know?

To my striking sherbros, what similarities do Adesanya and Silva share? and how do they differ? Obviously they are not carbon copies of each other, but they are both rangy strikers and both have shown that they are dangerous in the clinch.

and how you think this fight will play out?

I think they are similar in that they both have very dynamic, flashy striking styles. Both of them don't have much of a problem being in the pocket, but I feel that Israel is a better striker. He's already a world class Kickboxer, but he managed to translate his skillset very nicely to MMA and with him being much younger and a hunger to prove himself, I just can't see Silva winning.

With that being said, I feel like Anderson could more than handle Israel on the ground and his best shot would be to get him there and go for a submission or attempt to drain him and then finish the job on the feet (which I feel is the least likely scenario for a Silva victory).

I'll admit though, I am not really interested in the fight happening, I feel like Adesanya is unproven and Silva is over-the-hill, so it doesn't give me much to care about. I would much rather see Israel fight someone like Rockhold or just feed him to Romero if he really wants to prove himself. I can't understand why Dana White said he wants to take it slow with a top 10 fighter, the time to take it slow is over imo. He needs to fight the big dogs and get truly tested, so far his competition has left me unsatisfied; I want to see him get put in difficult situations and see how he does then. I don't think Anderson will offer that sort of challenge to him, and if he does, I still won't be sure if it because of how good Anderson is or a lack of skill on Adesanya's part (or both)... which would mean I would have to wait even longer to get a proper opinion on his skillset. Pass on all of that.

This fight would have been intriguing if they both were about the same age. I don't think it's Silva's skills which will be a factor but his age and the fact that he's been past his prime for a few years now, while Adesanya is picking just now; young, fast and hungry.

I think they are similar in that they both have very dynamic, flashy striking styles. Both of them don't have much of a problem being in the pocket, but I feel that Israel is a better striker. He's already a world class Kickboxer, but he managed to translate his skillset very nicely to MMA and with him being much younger and a hunger to prove himself, I just can't see Silva winning.

With that being said, I feel like Anderson could more than handle Israel on the ground and his best shot would be to get him there and go for a submission or attempt to drain him and then finish the job on the feet (which I feel is the least likely scenario for a Silva victory).

I'll admit though, I am not really interested in the fight happening, I feel like Adesanya is unproven and Silva is over-the-hill, so it doesn't give me much to care about. I would much rather see Israel fight someone like Rockhold or just feed him to Romero if he really wants to prove himself. I can't understand why Dana White said he wants to take it slow with a top 10 fighter, the time to take it slow is over imo. He needs to fight the big dogs and get truly tested, so far his competition has left me unsatisfied; I want to see him get put in difficult situations and see how he does then. I don't think Anderson will offer that sort of challenge to him, and if he does, I still won't be sure if it because of how good Anderson is or a lack of skill on Adesanya's part (or both)... which would mean I would have to wait even longer to get a proper opinion on his skillset. Pass on all of that.

Silva in the pocket? lol silva is one of the most unidimensional strikers I have ever seen. Very effective at what he did , but very unidimensional.

Last edited:
Without steroids an old Silva just isn't capable of beating top fighters. Israel is going to make him look bad

This is a really fun fight; even at Silva's age, I think it will be intriguing for as long as it lasts. I do think Adesanya will knock him out due to better distance management and his use of feints, eventually landing some knee/head kick possibly. Or just beating Silva up in the clinch.

But, what do I know?

To my striking sherbros, what similarities do Adesanya and Silva share? and how do they differ? Obviously they are not carbon copies of each other, but they are both rangy strikers and both have shown that they are dangerous in the clinch.

and how you think this fight will play out?

Well Israel is much more skilled and talented than silva. First thing first, silva is an unidimensional striker, while adesanya is not. Adesanya can also lead, while silva can only strike against fighters that rush into him. Even in his prime this fight would have been a mismatch.

Silva in the pocket? lol silva is one of the most unidimensional strikers I have ever seen. Very effective at what he did , but very unidimensional.

What?

He spends a lot of time in the pocket, he can also fight from a distance, on the backfoot, and clinch fight. How is that one dimensional striking?

Last edited:
I feel like Adesanya is unproven
He beat 2 top 15 fighters, one of them being a solid top 10. That, by itself, proves that he's a elite top 6 guy. Not unproven, by any means. His grappling has been tested too. In all of these fights.
Without steroids an old Silva just isn't capable of beating top fighters. Israel is going to make him look bad
He fucked up Bisping badly and lost a close 48-47 decision while not even taking it seriously on the fight, and Bisping went on to become the champion. Total BS.

This just makes me think of that time we had the big long thread because Coca said Silva would beat Joe Schilling haha

He beat 2 top 15 fighters, one of them being a solid top 10. That, by itself, proves that he's a elite top 6 guy. Not unproven, by any means. His grappling has been tested too. In all of these fights.

He fucked up Bisping badly and lost a close 48-47 decision while not even taking it seriously on the fight, and Bisping went on to become the champion. Total BS.

I am saying Adesanya is unproven because he is going for the belt pretty hard and he hasn't broken the top five yet. He's top 10 definitely, but a win over Tavares and Brunson doesn't make someone championship material quite yet, imo. So he needs to prove himself

Well Israel is much more skilled and talented than silva. First thing first, silva is an unidimensional striker, while adesanya is not. Adesanya can also lead, while silva can only strike against fighters that rush into him. Even in his prime this fight would have been a mismatch.
WHITE BELT ALERT

Back