Israel Adesanya on why he is moving up to take LHW title:

If you genuinely hate someone, mental warfare is just as important as physical warfare

By moving up Izzy is doing something that, so far, Jones has only talked about doing.That's obviously gonna get under Jones's skin

On top of that, he would be taking Jones's old belt, the one that Jones's legacy is built on. That's gotta sting a little bit too

Jones gave the belt up to move up to HW, but he just never ended up doing it and has sat out. Meanwhile, Izzy is remaining relevant and if he wins the 205 belt he is adding to his own legacy while Jones's remains stuck in the mud. For someone with a bigass ego like Jones it can't be good to see your rival prospering and being one of the main stars of the sport while you flirt with irrelevancy

If Izzy wins and THEN fights Jones it adds to the hype. People have always said that Izzy is too small to beat Jones, but if he proves that he can succeed at 205 (by winning the belt) BEFORE fighting Jones, the odds could be a lot more even. There would be a lot of stories, a lot of narratives for such a fight

I haven't been too interested, overall, in Izzy's career. He's a good champion, but he hasn't really WOWed me yet. But choosing to fight Jan, to me, is the smartest thing he's done in his career so far. It's a very risky move, but if it works out for him, and by some miracle he can beat both Jan and Jones he would instantly become a legend
You are giving too much credit to Izzy for this “mental warfare” tactic. I don’t see the ppv numbers changing much from fighting Jon now to fighting Jon after Jan. If mental warfare means putting yourself at risk of getting knocked out, then you really need to reevaluate what that means. Izzy is avoiding Jon Jones atm. Let’s be real here. Maybe he’ll fight him next year or the following but as of now, it’s pretty damn clear.

You are giving too much credit to Izzy for this “mental warfare” tactic. I don’t see the ppv numbers changing much from fighting Jon now to fighting Jon after Jan. If mental warfare means putting yourself at risk of getting knocked out, then you really need to reevaluate what that means. Izzy is avoiding Jon Jones atm. Let’s be real here. Maybe he’ll fight him next year or the following but as of now, it’s pretty damn clear.

Of course he is. It's the smart thing to do, too. At least that's how I feel about it, as someone who isn't really a fan of either fighter, but look at my post history and you won't see any Izzy nuthugging

But it's smart. It's starting to look like Jon Jones is exiting, or has exited, his prime. The longer you wait it out the likelier he is to continue losing his edge

Is it cowardly? Maybe, if you choose to look at it that way. But the fact is that Jon Jones is a big fucking guy who could fight at HW and has probably juiced. So why shouldn't Izzy look to gain advantages where he can? GSP did the same thing when he moved up in weight, he waited until there was a challenger that he found he had a clear advantage over, then he got the fuck out

It was a clearly calculated move. So what? Who besides hardcore fans gives a shit about those little details? Jan, on paper, is an easier opponent than Jones. Izzy is risking getting KOd, but he's also got the opportunity to become a double champion, and by the time a fight with Jones can be set up there is a higher likelihood that Jones will be washed up

It's a good opportunity, good timing to move up in weight. Sure, there are never any guarantees. He could get KTFO by either Jan or Jones. It's fighting, there's always gonna be some risk, but I see it as a prime opportunity for Izzy to take his career to a whole other level. He could remain at 185 and re-match Whittaker in a fight no one would really be excited about and try to rack up a bunch of title defenses and take the Mighty Mouse approach to legacy building (getting a bunch of title defenses in a stagnating division), or he could try going for something that will actually generate hype

Look at the top 10 at 185: Paulo Costa (just got KOd), Jared Cannonier (just got outpointed), Whittaker (already got stiffened), Jack Hermansson (nobody cares about him), Yoel Romero (already had a terrible fight with Izzy), Darren Till (2-3 in last 5, coming off a loss), Derek Brunson (nobody cares about him), Gastelum (3 fight losing streak), Uriah Hall (irrelevant), Chris Weidman (irrelevant)

Fight Jan, who is viewed by most as a beatable, transitional champion. Obviously, there is no guarantee that Izzy will actually win this fight, he is risking getting KTFO. No shit. So has every other champion who has moved up in weight to challenge for another title, and it's worked out well for many of them

He's avoiding Jones. So what? We are no longer in the Zuffa Era. Champions manage their careers with more strategy, everyone wants to hold out for more pay or they take make moves when it seems to suit THEM, not the fans. That's the way it is now, Izzy is doing the same shit as many other recent champions

If you don't agree with that assessment, that's your right. That's how I see it. We'll see how it plays out. I just know that I personally haven't given a shit about 185 and 205 in a long time, but I am highly intrigued by the outcome of Izzy/Jan

All that? LOL Beat Jon Jones in a physical fight, and you can have all the mental advantage you want over him.

"If you beat someone up you also beat up their mind". Whoa there, Sun Tzu, cool it with the philosophizing

We've seen many fighters over the years use mental warfare as a precursor to the actual fight, often used in hopes of throwing their opponent off of their game

OBVIOUSLY if Izzy could just walk up straight to Jones and KO him stiff with one punch he would, and he'd be the ultimate badass. The same could be said about Jones, he could just move up to heavyweight and smash Stipe and Ngannou and solidify himself as the GOAT. Why hasn't he done it? Is it because he's a coward, or because he's trying to manage his career with a modicum of strategy and intelligence and waiting for the right combination of factors (opponent, money, hype) to come into play to make the rewards clearly outweigh the risks?

only problem with this fight is jan's reward is not as great as izzy's. its always the challenger tryin to get another weight title.

i think if jan KO's izzy, he should automatically get the middleweight title too. put something in the pot izzy, nothing's for free.

I knew walking in here that i was about to read some stupid shit.

Cringy, goofy, dumb-ass bullshit never stops flying out of this guys mouth.

At this point i just enjoy it for what it is.

Back