Isn't the money in making Gus fight a few before a rematch with Jones?

Combat Wombatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
There equips definitely be money in a rematch between Jones and Gustaffsson.

However, wouldn't there be more money in making Gus fight a few before a rematch?

Before the fight Gus was probably unknown to many fans. Now people will pay to see him fight his way back to the top because they now know him, how good he is, and if he can make it back to the top?

But if Gus loses to Glover (a real possibility), you just pissed away the aura of a great rivalry.

Dana said the rematch makes a lot of sense but they want to wait a while before they decide anything. I could see Gus headlining his next fight in Sweden before getting another title shot. He'd probably be an even bigger draw in his hometown now. Even though he lost, his stock has sky rocketed.

But if Gus loses to Glover (a real possibility), you just pissed away the aura of a great rivalry.

I don't think that fight will happen. If Glover and Gus fight then who the hell is gonna fight Jones? Phil Davis is pretty much the only other option.

The UFC doesn't want to ruin the chance that both guys lose. The best idea is to have both guys fight Superbowl weekend with the winner fighting Glover or someone else July 4th weekend.

Glover should fight Jones next.

Gus should fight Rashad or Machida (both winnable fights imo)

Only if both fighters are still in good standing by rematch time.

Although id love to watch them fight again...I do think there needs to be a few fights for both first

If they immediately rematch and Jones wins again then Gus may never get a shot at him again because they usually dont make a trilogy when one guy has won twice....well except for Edgar/Penn and Tito/Shamrock lol

Why?

Gus just came within a hair of beating the champ in an instant classic. He took a fighter who has looked superhuman, cut him open, out-boxed him, took him down, and absorbed a ridiculous amount of damage in the process while still moving forward.

Do you really think there's isn't an intrigue, justification, and appetite for a rematch?

Do you think there are fans who will see that - *not* be interested in the rematch, but then *become* interested because Gus beats Rashad?

I don't see it. I only see downside (e.g. Gus could lose or something else could happen to ruin the possibility of the rematch).

If there was an undeniable #1 contender waiting in the wings, I'd say maybe. Glover has 0 top ten wins and his last fight is one that a grand total of 381 people watched.

No. Because it risks him maybe losing to another fighter. In MMA anything can happen. Look how Jones almost lost to Sonnen because of his toe.

Also because of time. This match has people talking and the quicker the rematch is signed the more people will continue to have the last fight in memory and thus create more anticipation.

Although id love to watch them fight again...I do think there needs to be a few fights for both first

If they immediately rematch and Jones wins again then Gus may never get a shot at him again because they usually dont make a trilogy when one guy has won twice....well except for Edgar/Penn and Tito/Shamrock lol

So you imagine this conversation:

- We're going to do Gus v Bones III!
- But Gus is 0-2 against Bones!
- Yea, but Gus beat Rashad and Mousasi between fights I and II!!
- Oh, ok!!

Yea, that's not going to happen -- If Gus losses to Jones again, it will be hard to do a trilogy absent special circumstances. That is true regardless of whether fight II is tomorrow or a year from now.

OP, what you are suggesting is called promotional malpractice. The play here is clearly to book the rematch barring layoffs from injury.

Neither Jones or Gus are going to lose to anyone else than eachother at lhw. They are on another level compared to the rest of the division.

loss or serious injury derails the rematch potentially for good. The UFC will find a way to make this fight happen quickly. My guess is Jones ends up fighting Glover while Gus waits for the outcome. If Jones wins easily, Gus gets a rematch. If Jones wins but gets beaten up, Gus will take another fight while waiting for Jones to return. If Glover wins all bets are off.

loss or serious injury derails the rematch potentially for good. The UFC will find a way to make this fight happen quickly. My guess is Jones ends up fighting Glover while Gus waits for the outcome. If Jones wins easily, Gus gets a rematch. If Jones wins but gets beaten up, Gus will take another fight while waiting for Jones to return. If Glover wins all bets are off.

Interesting.

I know either could lose, but that's the risk you take.

Immediate rematches should only be in certain circumstances such as Anderson who's held the belt for a long time and Weidman.

Gus lost to Jones fair and square. Yes it was close, but that's what happens in fights. I think they could build more of a fan base for Gus before their rematch.

I agree.

He gained a shit ton of fans last night and you can bet many people will follow him and be tuning into whenever he fights on PPV from now on. The UFC now has an opportunity to turn Gus into a star and if they were to just give him an instant rematch and he were to lose again, it would just be a total waste.

I agree.

He gained a shit ton of fans last night and you can bet many people will follow him and be tuning into whenever he fights on PPV from now on. The UFC now has an opportunity to turn Gus into a star and if they were to just give him an instant rematch and he were to lose again, it would just be a total waste.

I agree.

If Gus had been given the decision, Jones would've been given an instant rematch. Double standards of the UFC if Gus doesn't get a rematch.

Back